'Indubitably' is a Real Word lol

I've used the word "indubitably" for decades now in place of 'undoubtedly', 'most definitely' or 'certainly', thinking that it was slang, because that's how it seems people used it and I've never encountered it in a book before. I was kinda under the impression that it was just how someone had mispronounced 'undoubtedly'.

I went to type it into a text today and it never got underlined, which I found odd, so I looked it up, and it's in the dic. 

I don't honestly know how to feel about that. I liked using it light-heartedly, and it seems like too pretentious a word to use seriously. I want my slang version back. 🙁

Edited by WestCanMan

24 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I've used the word "indubitably" for decades now in place of 'undoubtedly', 'most definitely' or 'certainly', thinking that it was slang, because that's how it seems people used it and I've never encountered it in a book before. I was kinda under the impression that it was just how someone had mispronounced 'undoubtedly'.

I went to type it into a text today and it never got underlined, which I found odd, so I looked it up, and it's in the dic. 

I don't honestly know how to feel about that. I liked using it light-heartedly, and it seems like too pretentious a word to use seriously. I want my slang version back. 🙁

Indubitably my dear Watson.

On 4/6/2024 at 6:39 PM, WestCanMan said:

....."indubitably"...

... 'undoubtedly',

....'most definitely'

..... 'certainly"

How did you pronounce these words/terms?

Mispronouncing a word is evidence of an asocial person who reads alot.

5 hours ago, August1991 said:

How did you pronounce these words/terms?

Mispronouncing a word is evidence of an asocial person who reads alot.

I got them all right, but tbh, they're all pretty straightforward and I never saw indubitably in a book. More likely a mustard commercial or something like that lol.

I know what you mean though. There are words like "assuaged" and "truculent" that come up often in books, but which no one ever uses in real life.  

I probably saw "misshapen" and blazed right by it about 3x before I realized what it was lol. Had a bit of a chuckle at myself. 

On 4/10/2024 at 10:48 AM, WestCanMan said:

I know what you mean though. There are words like "assuaged" and "truculent" that come up often in books, but which no one ever uses in real life.  

I probably saw "misshapen" and blazed right by it about 3x before I realized what it was lol. Had a bit of a chuckle at myself. 

Laughing - good examples. In a very public way, I once mispronounced "awry". (Imagine how I pronounced the word.)

In English, their and there, or its and it's, are not distinct when speaking- but evidence of education when writing. In French, tu and vous are very distinct - and verb conjugations in particular.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

Laughing - good examples. In a very public way, I once mispronounced "awry". (Imagine how I pronounced the word.)

In English, their and there, or its and it's, are not distinct when speaking- but evidence of education when writing. In French, tu and vous are very distinct - and verb conjugations in particular.

Probably awww-ree lol. Too funny. Makes sense though.