So Ottawa is accepting refugee applications from Gaza.

19 hours ago, eyeball said:

I don't think Poilievre believes a word of what science says about climate change anymore than you do. You can't even unleash yourselves. 

I understand why you might think a politician is lying but I'm not sure what gives you the idea I would bother to disguise my beliefs here given some of the other things I've said on all kinds of topics. It's not like I'm shy about saying something politically incorrect here. I've never denied that global warming is happening, nor that a significant element of that is carbon emissions. I've argued that what we're doing is not going to significantly reduce carbon emissions, or probably reduce them at all on a world scale and that only technological development and innovation is going to accomplish that. And because of that I'm opposed to punishing our economy and costing people untold economic distress just so Justin can stand on his self-made pedestal and pose for his admirers/ 

3 hours ago, I am Groot said:

I've never denied that global warming is happening, nor that a significant element of that is carbon emissions.

I stand corrected then. I do think its true however of a significant number of Poilievre supporters.

Have you felt this way for a long time - did it take convincing and what convinced you?

18 hours ago, eyeball said:

I stand corrected then. I do think its true however of a significant number of Poilievre supporters.

Have you felt this way for a long time - did it take convincing and what convinced you?

While I accept that money and pressure, along with an ideology that has become somewhat fanatic in places has twisted the science I believe the overwhelming consensus as well as the evidence of a warming world. I don't know that I ever really doubted them so much as doubted the degree of harm that would befall us. And as one noted dissenter pointed out the media always seized on the worst possible outcome of several outcomes the scientists offered up in order to scare people and generate interest. 

But it's become more and more obvious that the solution proposed would only work if every country in the world joined in and it's become equally obvious that's just not going to happen. In part, that's because those who designed the various treaties on carbon reduction seemed to be operating from a social justice and equity perspective more than that of flat out equality. Thus the wealthy west was expected to make massive cutbacks and also transfer hundreds of billions to the rest, while the rest built coal plants.

20 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

those who designed the various treaties on carbon reduction seemed to be operating from a social justice and equity perspective

I'm afraid I'll never understand what it is about social justice that poisons everything for you people.

It just is what it is I guess.

On 1/11/2024 at 3:39 PM, I am Groot said:

I understand why you might think a politician is lying but I'm not sure what gives you the idea I would bother to disguise my beliefs here given some of the other things I've said on all kinds of topics. It's not like I'm shy about saying something politically incorrect here. I've never denied that global warming is happening, nor that a significant element of that is carbon emissions. I've argued that what we're doing is not going to significantly reduce carbon emissions, or probably reduce them at all on a world scale and that only technological development and innovation is going to accomplish that. And because of that I'm opposed to punishing our economy and costing people untold economic distress just so Justin can stand on his self-made pedestal and pose for his admirers/ 

I agree that unless we drastically alter our way of living, climate change will continue.  And sadly, the solution will likely be war, if shit hits the fan.

Having said that, have studies not proven that green energy will not hurt the economy much? 

On 1/12/2024 at 4:25 PM, eyeball said:

I'm afraid I'll never understand what it is about social justice that poisons everything for you people.

It just is what it is I guess.

Maybe because those who have a fundamental belief in justice realize that 'social justice' does not fall into the same category.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:26 PM, DUI_Offender said:

I agree that unless we drastically alter our way of living, climate change will continue.  And sadly, the solution will likely be war, if shit hits the fan.

Having said that, have studies not proven that green energy will not hurt the economy much? 

None that are credible. And remember that green energy is not just what we're doing. We're punishing intensive users of energy and domestic industries, encouraging them to go offshore. We're making energy deliberately more expensive when energy is the lifeblood of industry and the economy. And we're transferring billions of dollars abroad to third world countries allegedly to help with their climate warming fight, though how much of it winds up in Swiss bank accounts is anyone's guess. 

And remember, when it comes to green energy, it can abandon you just when it's needed most

Edited by I am Groot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

Maybe because those who have a fundamental belief in justice realize that 'social justice' does not fall into the same category.

That's because social fundamentalists put justice in the same category as vengeance.

I saw a video today that shows how high the new Egyptian-Gaza wall is...wow.

The World would be laughing at us, if we took thousands of Palestinians in. There is a good reason none of the Arab countries want them.  They live for killing people. I guarantee if Trudeau opens the door to these savages, Canada will suffer.

On 1/7/2024 at 1:07 PM, blackbird said:

We see thousands of Palestinian immigrants protesting and demonstrating in the streets and sometimes blocking highways or roads and demanding Israel be eliminated.  They should not even be here.  Deport them.

You don't have to worry because they'll probably be dead before they have a chance to immigrate here. For the Government of Canada, Palestinians, yellows or blacks are not the same people as Ukrainians