What happened to our money?

You know, the $50, $100, $200 or $1.14 million that went astray in Adscam?

Have any politicians been charged with crimes?

Has the RCMP been called in to do a criminal investigation of the MPs that recevied the money?

Does the investigation end with Martin promising to pay back a number he somehow plucked out of the ether?

Has that money actually been received?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

You know, the $50, $100, $200 or $1.14 million that went astray in Adscam?

Have any politicians been charged with crimes?

I'm not sure where you're getting that figure on, but it's a lot more than that. It's actually over $40 milliion missing (as opposed to simply stolen by overbilling advertising agencies)

Adscam money

Chump change. How about the 70+ million the Gomery Inquiry is costing taxpayers? Who's going to pay that back?

Well, given it was Paul Martin who set up the inquiry, and his goverrment which set the terms of the inquiry, including full, government paid private legal representation for all witnesses - WITH NO LIMIT ON LEGAL FEES - the Liberals Party should clearly pay.

Guest eureka

Why should the Liberals pay? They have not even been accused of stealing anything. There are some people who have been accused of diverting money into the Liberal coffers but they were not the "Liberal Party."

Notably, it is forgotten that the same people also diverted funds to the PQ.

It is also forgotten, apparently, that the same ad agencies dealt with the previoys Conservative administration (Mulroney's) in the same way. Money for favours.

Why should the Liberals pay? They have not even been accused of stealing anything. There are some people who have been accused of diverting money into the Liberal coffers but they were not the "Liberal Party."

Notably, it is forgotten that the same people also diverted funds to the PQ.

It is also forgotten, apparently, that the same ad agencies dealt with the previoys Conservative administration (Mulroney's) in the same way. Money for favours.

Why should I pay?

Guest eureka

One reason that you pay is the apathy that led to the need for the programme that was abused by people who were not part of any party.

Possibly if most Canadians did not sit on their hands while tuning out the Quebec situation; if Canadians acted like citizens of one nation; if they told the Separatists to go to Chad or Mauritania if they don't like Canada, then there would not have been a sponsorship programme to be abused.

Possibly if Canadians were not such a whining, selfish breed, they would have paid a little attention to their country instead of complaining about the mythical inroads of the federal government and ensured that we never got into this situation.

Possibly if you did not listen to the idiot regionalists - like Harper - ypu would have a better sense of country.

You pay for your own neglect.

My apathy? My regionialism? My sense of country? Westerners paying for their neglect when it is Ontario that keeps putting the Liberals in power? I live in a constiuency that has a larger population than PEI and has one MP. BC has two less Senators than New Brunswick and they are chosen by an MP from Quebec. Don't give me that crap.

What you are hearing is not apathy and I for one hope you hear a lot more of it.

Guest eureka

You seem to get a lot of things wrong. Wilber. B.C. has three less Senators tha New Brunswick! Really.

I suspect that comes from apathy and unwillingness to learn about your country.

Senators are appointed on a regional basis and each of the four regions has the same number with, now, two more for Newfoundland. It si Ontario that is shortchanged if you can think only ofnumbers relative to polulation. Ontario people don't though. since they are the hinge of nationhood and always think of themselves as Canadians first.

And, they are appointed by a Prime Minister wherever he comes from; not by a Quebec MP.

You seem to get a lot of things wrong. Wilber. B.C. has three less Senators tha New Brunswick! Really.

I suspect that comes from apathy and unwillingness to learn about your country.

Senators are appointed on a regional basis and each of the four regions has the same number with, now, two more for Newfoundland. It si Ontario that is shortchanged if you can think only ofnumbers relative to polulation. Ontario people don't though. since they are the hinge of nationhood and always think of themselves as Canadians first.

And, they are appointed by a Prime Minister wherever he comes from; not by a Quebec MP.

Senators by Province from the Parliament website

Looks like NB 9, BC and Alt 6 each to me or am I missing something?

Paul Martin was elected MP for LaSalle-Emard. That is in Quebec no? He was chosen leader by a bunch of unelected members of a political party no? Wherever he comes from happens to have been Quebec in most of my living memory. As old as some of them are, I doubt you can find many that weren't appointed by an MP from Quebec.

If we can't have Senators elected by the citizens of each Province and if we must have political hacks, let them at least be political hacks chosen by our own Provincial Governments.

Just because I don't see this country in Ontario's image doesn't make me any less a Canadian than you. That condescending attitude will be the death of this country.

One reason that you pay is the apathy that led to the need for the programme that was abused by people who were not part of any party.

Possibly if most Canadians did not sit on their hands while tuning out the Quebec situation; if Canadians acted like citizens of one nation; if they told the Separatists to go to Chad or Mauritania if they don't like Canada, then there would not have been a sponsorship programme to be abused.

Possibly if Canadians were not such a whining, selfish breed, they would have paid a little attention to their country instead of complaining about the mythical inroads of the federal government and ensured that we never got into this situation.

Possibly if you did not listen to the idiot regionalists - like Harper - ypu would have a better sense of country.

You pay for your own neglect.

WTF???????!!!!!!! Canadians who like Harper are to blame for ADSCAM????!!!!!

WTF???????!!!!!!! Maybe we ought to look more seriously at Western separation movements if yours is the attitude that is seriously what we who want to remove Western Alienation are up against.

Perhaps you should change your handle to goodgrief because it is far more appropriate than one like eureka which inherently suggests some form of enlightenment.

FTA

I think all of Canada would like to hear more about "western seperation". Personally I don't like being held hostage with threats. Especially the same threats Quebec has been making for decades. With such an obvious pervasive attitude within the Conservative party it is no wonder they fired that campaign manager so fast, for his seperation comments. The only way to keep an agenda like that under wraps I guess is to dismiss those who talk about it publicly.

Don't you Cons EVER pay attention?????

The perps who stole the Adscam money have been charged and sued for $42 million and they will be appearing in court this May.

In fact, one of the perps, Chuck Guite is an old Mulroney Tory and he was the one running the show with his doleing out the monies to his friends who kicked back to him.

Don't you Cons EVER pay attention?????

The perps who stole the Adscam money have been charged and sued for $42 million  and they will be appearing in court this May.

In fact, one of the perps, Chuck Guite is an old Mulroney Tory and he was the one running the show with his doleing out the monies to his friends who kicked back to him.

Chuck Guite was hand picked to run the program and reported directly to the PMO. The connection to Mulroney is tenuous at best as he was just another civil servant at the time. Nice try a rewriting history.

Hand-picked????? And your proof for that is????

He may have been a civil servent under Mulroney as he worked on Mulroney's ad awards to Lyin Brian's friends and his experience was a great asset to run the Liberal ad program and he remained a civil servant throughout his Liberal gov years.

He was not hand-picked to shovel money to his friends who gave him kick-backs.

Have you not paid attention to the Gomery report? Obviously not. Gomery singled Guite out as running the same type of program under Mulroney. Nowhere in Gomery's report did he state that Guite reported to the PMO. This is just moree Con lies cause they think Canadians don't pay attention.

Maybe you will finally accept the truth when the court cases start in May and Guite and his friends have to return the $41 million they stole.

He may have been a civil servent under Mulroney as he worked on Mulroney's ad awards to Lyin Brian's friends and his experience was a great asset to run the Liberal ad program and he remained a civil servant throughout his Liberal gov years.

By your logic, you blame a Mulroney era civil servant in your words doled out money to "Lyin Brian's friends" and that experience was a "great asset to run the Liberal program" for Lyin' Jean Chretien and subsequently Lyin' Paul. I guess, since Mulroney's replacement Kim Campbell was wiped out at the polls, so to should Chretien's replacement, Martin be wiped out as well.

Deflect all you want, but, Canadians just don't believe this stuff!

Canadians know that those who are responsible have been caught and have been charged. They also know that this is not a Liberal party thing.

And it was not a Liberal program... it was a government program and your Con MPs also dipped into the fund for sponsorship of events in their ridings.

I am blaming a Tory Guite who was a rotten apple under Mulroney and who was able to continue under the Liberals to line his own pockets and receive kick-backs for rewarding his friends.

They were representatives of the Liberal Party, and not exactly low level either.

It's standard legal practice that an organization is responsible for the actions of their employees when acting on their behalf. That is why you can sue the company which employes a truck driver if he crashes into you by accident... or on purpose.

There are allegations of this, but no support, as in actual dollar figures and examples of money which was misappropriated.

I think all of Canada would like to hear more about "western seperation". Personally I don't like being held hostage with threats. Especially the same threats Quebec has been making for decades.  With such an obvious pervasive attitude within the Conservative party  it is no wonder they fired that campaign manager so fast, for his seperation comments. The only way to keep an agenda like that under wraps I guess is to dismiss those who talk about it publicly.

You mean like the Liberals keeping their racist, homophobic, sexist agenda under wraps by firing their Ontario vice president for displaying such traits so openly?

Canadians know that those who are responsible have been caught and have been charged. They also know that this is not a Liberal party thing.

Nonsense. A few minor back room boys have been found, along with one major cabinet minister. But it's very clear to anyone with the ability to think, and very clear from testimony before Gomery, and Gomery's report, that this program was run from the PMO with its blessing and protection.

And it was not a Liberal program... it was a government program and your Con MPs also dipped into the fund for sponsorship of events in their ridings.
I was a government program used to launder money and reward those who contributed money to the Liberal Party of Canada. Yes, that was clear enough. I'm fairily certain there are many other such programs.
I am blaming  a Tory Guite who was a rotten apple under Mulroney and who was able to continue under the Liberals to line his own pockets and receive kick-backs for rewarding his friends.

Who all happened to be Liberals. Gotcha.

I was a government program used to launder money and reward those who contributed money to the Liberal Party of Canada. Yes, that was clear enough. I'm fairily certain there are many other such programs.

Now you are not being honest.