Wasting time at work?

crazymf

You know, being in business for myself, and rarely having a day away from the place, I've noticed that it gets incredibly quiet around here on weekends and holidays.

Hmmmm... that leads me to believe the majority of youse are here discussing while someone else is paying the tab. ie. You are at work.

Why not come clean and tell us exactly how much time you spend here on your employers dime. Come on, we're all anonymous anyway, he's never going to find out.

Do tell.

Dear crazymf,

I also own a small business, and post from my work computer perhaps once or twice a month, tops. Sometimes far less. I do get a couple hours off for lunch, though, as I work a 'split shift' in a 13 hr day. So, I'll come home at lunch break, sometimes post for a bit, and then have a 1 hr nap, then back to work.

Sometimes I post early in the morning before work, sometimes after.

BTW, This really doesn't belong here. Perhaps under 'Moral issues".

Ok, no partisan intention here. I just find that I'll be having a discussion with someone and just as it gets good, WHAM, Friday evening comes along and the screen goes dormant for 2 days. I just want you guys to fess up.

I posted this thread out of bordom yesterday because the room was almost empty.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually come here during my grade 12 computer applications course, All assignments take me about 5 minutes and the rest of the hour I got spare time :P

I work odd hours and usually do my posting in the late morning and early afternoon, and sometimes late at night when I get home.

One reason there might be less activity on weekends is that weekends usually have less political news going on.

-k

You know, being in business for myself, and rarely having a day away from the place, I've noticed that it gets incredibly quiet around here on weekends and holidays.

Hmmmm... that leads me to believe the majority of youse are here discussing while someone else is paying the tab. ie. You are at work.

Why not come clean and tell us exactly how much time you spend here on your employers dime. Come on, we're all anonymous anyway, he's never going to find out.

Do tell.

I post much more on weekends then during the week. During the week I might spit out a quick post or two in the morning befgore work, after checking my mail, or in the evening after. Occasionally, if things aren't too busy and I'm bored, I might post something at work. I AM a civil servant, after all. I also buy things. So if you don't let me surf the internet occasionally I'll buy some honking big expensive piece of crap and charge you for it - just to amuse myself.

Come to think of it, end of fiscal is approaching. I wonder what we'll be wasting money on this year.

Dear Argus,

I AM a civil servant, after all. ...

Come to think of it, end of fiscal is approaching. I wonder what we'll be wasting money on this year

With the expected change of gov't, you'll probably be ordered to stock up on the most worthless and expensive bunk as one can imagine. Just so the new guys can start off as wrong-footed as possible. Pallets of onion-skin toilet paper? Zircon-encrusted tweezers? Quebec? (j/k August1991)

I'm semi-self employed (I manage a project in the oil and gas support industry as an independant consultant) and at university. I post at both. Nothing like some of those ridiculous required computer science classes to sit in and post. I work out of my house most of the time, so alot of posting gets done then too. When at the office, I try to pretend to be a good role model and the such, but when no ones looking, definately sneak off a few posts there too.

I'm only screwing myself out of money... or just creating longer working hours for myself. Though if I'm not working or at school, you probably won't see me posting much. I like to feel like I'm getting paid for it anyways.

Until a fews weeks ago I worked within the government system so I post from work but mostly when I am on the phone which explains some of my own post even I don't understand, I post mostly before I start the working day or at the end of day, I take off for lunch and is never around but also its my private time - I read your postings from work - and I do come often

Nowadays, I travel a lot so hardly much time to do anything until late at night, but I will post from work when I have the time

I'm retired so can post whenever I like. I'd fire anyone's butt if I found them posting etc. on company time (lunch hours okay). I'm pretty sure I read an article about the amount of company time wasted on email and surfing.

ahem, I can't fire myself, and I am the only one who can fire me - I post when I have free time.

I'm retired so can post whenever I like. I'd fire anyone's butt if I found them posting etc. on company time (lunch hours okay). I'm pretty sure I read an article about the amount of company time wasted on email and surfing.

I wouldn't fire anyone who posted during work time.

If they didn't do their job, they would be fired quickly anyway...