Be Canadian - Be Polite

August1991

This forum is rare in the world because it provides a place for posters of diverse opinions to discuss (mostly Canadian) politics. Most other places (eg. rabble.ca or freedominion.ca) ban participants who don't fit the dogma. That is not the case here. You are truly free to express what you believe, but you have to do it politely. And you have to accept to read occasionally opinions that are offensively ignorant, but they'll make you think.

[Posters who receive signals through their teeth and use difficult grammar and punctuation are entitled to about a week of gibberish until Greg boots them.]

I have to express some wonder at all these newcomers who are so enthusiastic about posting so many posts on their first and second days here. All of them highly one-sided on behalf of this party or that. It's almost like they have less interest in political discussion than in politcal propaganda on behalf of their party.

Argus, I guess this always happens during elections.

They say Washington is Hollywood for ugly people but I think elections are sports matches for the uncoordinated.

Anyway, you can either partycipate (and be drowned out). Or, take a break for a few weeks. Or, do as BD and go to the International/Moral categories.

August1991 Posted Today, 11:08 PM

This forum is rare in the world because it provides a place for posters of diverse opinions to discuss (mostly Canadian) politics. Most other places (eg. rabble.ca or freedominion.ca) ban participants who don't fit the dogma. That is not the case here. You are truly free to express what you believe, but you have to do it politely. And you have to accept to read occasionally opinions that are offensively ignorant, but they'll make you think.

Nicely put August1991.

It is a good forum, look, they even allow me to write with flare about my women's issues.

Good post. Nice line at the end.

Similar to one of my favourites - radio is television for ugly people.

This forum is rare in the world because it provides a place for posters of diverse opinions to discuss (mostly Canadian) politics.  Most other places (eg. rabble.ca or freedominion.ca) ban participants who don't fit the dogma.  That is not the case here.  You are truly free to express what you believe, but you have to do it politely.  And you have to accept to read occasionally opinions that are offensively ignorant, but they'll make you think.

They say Washington is Hollywood for ugly people but I think elections are sports matches for the uncoordinated.

This forum is rare in the world because it provides a place for posters of diverse opinions to discuss (mostly Canadian) politics.  Most other places (eg. rabble.ca or freedominion.ca) ban participants who don't fit the dogma.  That is not the case here.  You are truly free to express what you believe, but you have to do it politely.  And you have to accept to read occasionally opinions that are offensively ignorant, but they'll make you think.

[Posters who receive signals through their teeth and use difficult grammar and punctuation are entitled to about a week of gibberish until Greg boots them.]

I have to express some wonder at all these newcomers who are so enthusiastic about posting so many posts on their first and second days here. All of them highly one-sided on behalf of this party or that. It's almost like they have less interest in political discussion than in politcal propaganda on behalf of their party.

Argus, I guess this always happens during elections.

Anyway, you can either partycipate (and be drowned out). Or, take a break for a few weeks. Or, do as BD and go to the International/Moral categories.

Agree with you, I like posting on this site and I can honestly admit I am posting more because of this election stuff. But I try my best to be as polite as I can.

I agree, I looked at these forums and liked these because they are polite and seem to offer good debate, no mudslinging or personal attacks. There seems to be one poster out to change that, please don't let it happen to this forum.

I agree, best not to post when this is happening, or just ignore the bad penny who shows up now and then.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or happy whatever you celebrate.

There seems to be one poster out to change that, please don't let it happen to this forum. 

I agree, best not to post when this is happening,  or just ignore the bad penny who shows up now and then.

Glad that you agree, i wonder however who it is that you think is "out to change" things?

There seems to be one poster out to change that, please don't let it happen to this forum. 

I agree, best not to post when this is happening,  or just ignore the bad penny who shows up now and then.

Glad that you agree, i wonder however who it is that you think is "out to change" things?

Am I allowed to say without getting booted ? I'm thinking Stormin Norman is just a tad over the top in flooding the forums. But hey they are not my forums. We can ignore right?

I've only recently joined here and have found it a step up from another forum which only occasionally talked politics. When Norman joined, it was a new experience for me to see someone so one sided and unable to give others the benefit of the doubt.

Today, I thought I would see what would happen if I treated him in similar fashion. This was after he made some inappropriate comments about bible thumpers and religious zealots. Others say they have put him on their ignore list, but I refuted and disagreed with most of his posts off and on all afternoon. The bottom line is he never let up and just ignored several valid points by me and othes when they proved him wrong. Never gave an inch and just kept on churning out the posts(he has averaged over 30 posts a day and must have been way over that today). I feel it was a waste of time and will choose to ignore him from now on as well.

I hope it didn't ruin the experiences of others, if I had considered this I think I would have not bothered. :unsure:

sharkman, there are plenty of one sided posters here. Most treat each other with respect, but there are those whose posts border on total trolling and baiting. I think Greg mentioned we should try and take the high road when we feel "attacked" and not give in to our emotions. That isn't always easy.

I've only recently joined here and have found it a step up from another forum which only occasionally talked politics.  When Norman joined, it was a new experience for me to see someone so one sided and unable to give others the benefit of the doubt.

Today, I thought I would see what would happen if I treated him in similar fashion.  This was after he made some inappropriate comments about bible thumpers and religious zealots.  Others say they have put him on their ignore list, but I refuted and disagreed with most of his posts off and on all afternoon.  The bottom line is he never let up and just ignored several valid points by me and othes when they proved him wrong.  Never gave an inch and just kept on churning out the posts(he has averaged over 30 posts a day and must have been way over that today).  I feel it was a waste of time and will choose to ignore him from now on as well.

I hope it didn't ruin the experiences of others, if I had considered this I think I would have not bothered. :unsure:

I see that too, I'm a bit one sided but will try not to spam the forums too much LOL otherwise these are very nice forums.