Netflix's woke purge

Infidel Dog

"

Netflix's recent axing of 290 staff targeted many of the firm's wokest workers who are prolific social justice warriors on social media, it has been claimed. 

The struggling streaming service has pulled the plug on several projects that were aimed at discussing race and LGBTQ issues, Variety reported, and axed the diverse employees working on and promoting them. 

A total of 150 recruitment workers were fired, as well as another 70 animators, and 70 contractors working on promotional materials for the firm including social media and publishing.   

sjw-trans-woke.jpg

Those promotional workers were assigned to work on Netflix projects Strong Black Lead, the Asian American-focused Golden, the Latino-focused Con Todo, and the LGBTQ-focused Most. 

Netflix claimed its latest layoffs were due to 'a slow down in revenue and decline in subscribers.' But critics online say many of those given the boot were from minority groups - and others have speculated that the firings were part of a woke clear-out."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10837347/Netflix-layoffs-hit-staff-working-original-content-marginalized-communities.html

Edited by Infidel Dog

1 hour ago, Infidel Dog said:

You're next Disney.

It's kind of weird that I get the feeling you are being foreboding. As though there's something bad coming for Disney soon. But they are the ones making the choice to do this right? So in this big culture war game of picking villains and heroes endlessly rather than asking deeper questions, will Disney now be a hero when this is done?

19 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

But they are the ones making the choice to do this right? 

How so?

Here's Disney's President of content on video saying she wants more woke. For example she wants 50% of characters in cartoons to be gay.

https://rumble.com/vz1ft6-woke-disney-exec-shows-why-you-need-to-cancel-disney-immediately.html

It's a clip from a larger video where Disney execs are discussing how they have hyped the woke to change Disney so far and their plans for the future. 

YouTube didn't censor this one where a different exec brags about disallowing words like "ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, or prince and princess" from its theme parks. 

Are you saying those execs have gone, have seen the light and are smartening up, or are you just talking about how Disney at least listened to share holders enough to back off from trying to change the Florida law against trying to sexualize kindergartners and 1st graders?

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Also doesn't this just show that these companies were never ideologically committed to Woke principles?

You mean, Neftflix?

I think the layoff of the wokeys there has more to do with this:

The streamer has found itself at odds with some woke staff who've gone on the record to slam their employer over shows they deem 'harmful', including Dave Chappelle's The Closer comedy special.

Netflix was hiring activists. The activists activated integrating woke into Netflix shows. Netflix didn't mind until the woke activists attacked their employer by trying to cancel the streamers most popular shows.

At that point Netflix decided "Get Woke, Go Broke" had gone far enough and now the freak in the pic in the OP above is looking for another job. As it should be. Don't mess with the bottom line. Netflix just remembered it was a company that needed to make money to continue to exist.

Disney is starting to figure that one out too.

33 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

1. You mean, Neftflix?

2.Disney is starting to figure that one out too.

1.  Oops yes I am confounding Disney and Netflix sorry

2.  But what do you think is making this happen?  They did bad math before about Wokism and then corrected that?  I am trying to figure out if you think that they care about Wokism or only money.

I think not just the corporates but their stockholders are starting to clue into the thing that's been hitting them in the head trying to get them to clue in for awhile now.

Wokism is not good for their bottom line. Whatever they thought they were getting from it is not working. Better to cut bait and walk away.

4 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

1. Wokism is not good for their bottom line. Whatever they thought they were getting from it is not working. Better to cut bait and walk away.

1. Ok.  Well you and I aren't going to really agree on the broader topic of the morality of wokism to any advanced level, BUT at least we agree that they don't actually care about the subject as much as they do the bottom line.  If we agree on that, then that means there are many other topics we will agree on.

42 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

How about this one. The priorities are changing in the corporate west. So woke is on its way out because lack of support for the wokeys is the beginning of the end for them.

I'm not surprised. And my previous point, or rather our previous point of agreement, stands. And so it goes with all social movements that are eventually brought into the mainstream and become boring.

39 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

I'm not looking for an argument on morality but I deny any inference by you that you might have any kind of superior insight on that issue.

I never claimed to have Superior insight. I just wanted to clarify what you think the underlying things are here and point that out. It's not insight if you already know what I'm asking.

Maybe you're like Bill Maher, Mikey. He says he hasn't changed. The wokeys are just moving the left too far away from him. He has to notice.

Personally, I just think if you're reasonably sane there's a point where you can no longer ignore the obviously nutty. Not even for your ideology.

Whatever. Here's Bill Maher today...standing with us.

Wouldn't that first joke make a good spoof of great replacement theory?

Edited by Infidel Dog

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    nyralucas

• Jeary earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Venandi went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Gaétan earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • Dictatords earned a badge