How can we De-Fringe University Professors?

TrudeauSucks

Some responses:

-Protests like the Convoy are nothing if not emotional.  Here's a hint: anger is an emotion

-Cooperation and social cohesion are actually fundamentals.  Otherwise we wouldn't have taught kids the national anthem, pledge to the queen and even the Lord's Prayer back in the day

-Ditto for morality

-Academia is as authoritative as ever - a small percentage of people are learning about their influence now and responding with anger (an emotion) online.  The academic system is built to include feedback, so start there if you have complaints>

-"Today, I'm a manager at one of the world's biggest IT companies. Almost all others I work with at my current level, have degrees. Very few of them can honestly be called "smart""  Not sure how this is relevant

If you believed in academia and had stayed in school you might have learned about empirical evidence and provided something beside an opinion.  

I am conservative so I believe in our institutions and if you want to tear them down like a rock-throwing Antifa maybe provide some evidence why.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Some responses:

-Protests like the Convoy are nothing if not emotional.  Here's a hint: anger is an emotion

-Cooperation and social cohesion are actually fundamentals.  Otherwise we wouldn't have taught kids the national anthem, pledge to the queen and even the Lord's Prayer back in the day

-Ditto for morality

-Academia is as authoritative as ever - a small percentage of people are learning about their influence now and responding with anger (an emotion) online.  The academic system is built to include feedback, so start there if you have complaints>

-"Today, I'm a manager at one of the world's biggest IT companies. Almost all others I work with at my current level, have degrees. Very few of them can honestly be called "smart""  Not sure how this is relevant

If you believed in academia and had stayed in school you might have learned about empirical evidence and provided something beside an opinion.  

I am conservative so I believe in our institutions and if you want to tear them down like a rock-throwing Antifa maybe provide some evidence why.

How about...because they are corrupted and lie constantly.

Media...Push masks that make little to no difference. Push and support mandates. Call Canadians Nazis. Constantly proven wrong.

Politics...Push mandates. Call Canadians Nazis. Seize private bank accounts of people who oppose their world view.

Academia...Push gender bending and promote abnormal sexual ideas. Pollute science with political agendas such as lockdowns and masking of kids. Not to mention vaxxing kids. An abhorrent practice. The removal of the national anthem and any other unity-building practice from schools.

Complaints? Hell I'd fire most of their asses. I have kids in post-secondary school. They come home with some pretty outrageous things to say about their profs. 1 of the boys had to edit a film clip he did as an assignment, because it wasn't "inclusive" enough.

My success without a degree shows that a degree is not necessary to achieve success. You want to declare that irrelevant because...well...it bites at your precious institutions.

I do not believe in academia. I believe in common sense and intellect. One you exhibit in sparing amounts. The other you feign quite nicely but...should your academia tell you to walk off a cliff...you would.

Ya...you keep saying that. "I'm a conservative". Yet you're not...are you. You spend all your time promoting obedience to whatever institution you feel has come under fire. I wonder...did you have anything to say about churches being closed? About ministers being jailed?

I know other limp souls like you. Scared to admit their precious institutions have failed in remarkable fashion. To meek to stand up to the political class who's power come from us. You have a strange philosophy about politics and academia Micheal. Makes one wonder...

which side of the fence you're actually camped on...

Edited by Nationalist

21 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

1. How about...because they are corrupted and lie constantly.

2. My success without a degree shows that a degree is not necessary to achieve success.

3. You want to declare that irrelevant because...well...it bites at your precious institutions.

4. I do not believe in academia.

5. Yet you're not...are you.

6. ...did you have anything to say about churches being closed? About ministers being jailed?

7. I know other limp souls like you. Scared to admit their precious institutions have failed in remarkable fashion.

8. To meek to stand up to the political class who's power come from us 

1. I said 'evidence' why.  Look up what evidence is.  It's not your opinion repeated until I believe you.
2. I am not sure why you are posting that.  I certainly never doubted your point. 
3. Not at all.  It's been this way since forever.
4. LOL
5. I am.
6. Well it's context dependent.  My family's churches provided online services and it was fine.  Ministers were not jailed, for the most part.  Some were, for specific reasons.  Certainly you don't get to claim you're clergy as a get-out-of-jail-free card.
7. Religion is an institution LOL.
8. I have spent much of my life learning.  I don't show up at a situation and start barking about 'common sense'.  That's not about academic vs non-academic, it's about humility and humanity.  Be a mensch.

26 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. I said 'evidence' why.  Look up what evidence is.  It's not your opinion repeated until I believe you.
2. I am not sure why you are posting that.  I certainly never doubted your point. 
3. Not at all.  It's been this way since forever.
4. LOL
5. I am.
6. Well it's context dependent.  My family's churches provided online services and it was fine.  Ministers were not jailed, for the most part.  Some were, for specific reasons.  Certainly you don't get to claim you're clergy as a get-out-of-jail-free card.
7. Religion is an institution LOL.
8. I have spent much of my life learning.  I don't show up at a situation and start barking about 'common sense'.  That's not about academic vs non-academic, it's about humility and humanity.  Be a mensch.

Be a man.

I've provided you with 'evidence'. You choose to ignore it. And when a minister...or anyone...exhibits the personal fortitude to stand up for what they believe in, and in the supposed freedoms we have granted ourselves with the Charter of Rights, you choose to ignore that too.

Academia...by your own actions and arguments, you prove my very point. It is a corrupted institution that serves only the creation of discontent with Canada and the world. It promotes divisive subjects and opinions as "fact" and pollutes our young with dangerous ideas of a Globalist utopia.

I don't show up and claim to be what I am not.!

Edited by Nationalist

12 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

1. Be a man.

2. I've provided you with 'evidence'.

3. You choose to ignore it. And when a minister...or anyone...exhibits the personal fortitude to stand up for what they believe in, and in the supposed freedoms we have granted ourselves with the Charter of Rights, you choose to ignore that too.

4. Academia...by your own actions and arguments, you prove my very point. It is a corrupted institution that serves only the creation of discontent with Canada and the world.

5. It promotes divisive subjects and opinions as "fact" and pollutes our young with dangerous ideas of a Globalist utopia.

1. Where have I read that before ?
2. No - just opinions.  Your opinions about the education system need a little more substance if you want me to care.  Most people treat information that way also.
3. No idea what the f*** you are talking about here.
4. Academia is more than just social justice, though it is also that.  Do you think our world-renowned mining schools are corrupt ?  If you had gone through more schooling your thinking would be harder to critique and your thoughts would be better-supported IMIO.
5. "Globalist" is a conspiracy-theory buzzword.  Our current neoliberal agenda was started by the so-called "new right" of Thatcher, Reagan and with the assistance of Conservative Brian Mulroney.  Trade deals opened up markets for Canadian exports and are generally acknowledged to be good for business.

The word "globalist", as near as I can figure, was cooked up to convince rubes that there's a liberal conspiracy out there - leaving aside that the corporate world and neoliberal conservatives walk in lock step.

43 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Where have I read that before ?
2. No - just opinions.  Your opinions about the education system need a little more substance if you want me to care.  Most people treat information that way also.
3. No idea what the f*** you are talking about here.
4. Academia is more than just social justice, though it is also that.  Do you think our world-renowned mining schools are corrupt ?  If you had gone through more schooling your thinking would be harder to critique and your thoughts would be better-supported IMIO.
5. "Globalist" is a conspiracy-theory buzzword.  Our current neoliberal agenda was started by the so-called "new right" of Thatcher, Reagan and with the assistance of Conservative Brian Mulroney.  Trade deals opened up markets for Canadian exports and are generally acknowledged to be good for business.

The word "globalist", as near as I can figure, was cooked up to convince rubes that there's a liberal conspiracy out there - leaving aside that the corporate world and neoliberal conservatives walk in lock step.

1. If the shoe fits.

2. You don't care because you would have to admit academia is now a political tool...and visa versa. You know Gawd Damn well what evidence has been presented. You simply refuse to acknowledge it as such. Which frankly in your case...is not terribly surprising.

3. Of course you don't...hilarious...

4. I think that this Libbie construct of social justice, has not only taken root in The Humanities, but has now poisoned The Sciences. I also think that your bloated opinion of yourself pales when set beside that of a self-made man.

globalism

glō′bə-lĭz″əm

noun

1. A national geopolitical policy in which the entire world is regarded as the appropriate sphere for a state's influence.
  2. The development of social, cultural, technological, or economic networks that transcend national boundaries; globalization.
  3. An ideology based on the belief that people, goods and information ought to be able to cross national borders unfettered.

Edited by Nationalist

10 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

1. If the shoe fits.

2. You don't care because ...

3. you would have to admit academia is now a political tool...and visa versa.

4. You know Gawd Damn well what evidence has been presented.

5. I think that this Libbie construct of social justice, has not only taken root in The Humanities, but has now poisoned The Sciences.

6. I also think that your bloated opinion of yourself pales when set beside that of a self-made man.

1. Yeah, I said it.
2. No - I am actually interested.  So I do care, as evidenced by my talking to you here.
3. I don't agree, but anyway as YOU define it as 'political' it pretty much always has been.
4. Evidence would be you posting a link to something written by somebody smarter than you.  And I'm not saying you're not smart, either.  But you are smart so you know that :D Anyway if you posted it, I missed it - pls repost.
5. No need to post examples or explain yourself, of course.  
6. I find that accusation that I have a high opinion of myself hilarious, given what you have posted about YOURSELF above.    Oh wait... I just read the last part.... ok I guess I agree: YOUR bloated opinion of yourself surpasses mine by a million miles.

Your posts are weird, but I enjoyed this exchange.  See you next power failure....

36 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Yeah, I said it.
2. No - I am actually interested.  So I do care, as evidenced by my talking to you here.
3. I don't agree, but anyway as YOU define it as 'political' it pretty much always has been.
4. Evidence would be you posting a link to something written by somebody smarter than you.  And I'm not saying you're not smart, either.  But you are smart so you know that :D Anyway if you posted it, I missed it - pls repost.
5. No need to post examples or explain yourself, of course.  
6. I find that accusation that I have a high opinion of myself hilarious, given what you have posted about YOURSELF above.    Oh wait... I just read the last part.... ok I guess I agree: YOUR bloated opinion of yourself surpasses mine by a million miles.

Your posts are weird, but I enjoyed this exchange.  See you next power failure....

2. https://www.dragqueenstoryhour.org/

Now I ask you...do you really think this is a good idea for little kids?

https://slowtowrite.com/critical-race-theory-in-canadian-schools/

Or that? Is that necessary? What could possibly go wrong, teaching this racialized horse crap to elementary students?

https://21stcenturywire.com/2021/07/15/canadian-education-board-math-is-racist/

Math. Its "racist" now. Tell me...shall I go on? Maybe we should delve into the nonsense and socially destructive teachings of the University Profs?

3. Academia has not always been a political tool. The Humanities have always been, but not the sciences. The very people who have ascribed racism to math...of all things...are products of this academic system. Not to mention those fine folks at CBC...or even the political parties themselves. Products of an academic system that can...even semi-seriously...declare MATH is racist.

4. see links above. Good work Academia.

5. Again...Bloody MATH! Racist! Odd sense of pronouns. The facade of "equity" instead of "equality". Take your pick.

6. I am impressed with myself. I'm not gonna bore you with my personal soliloquy but, if I've learned anything about success, its that belief and confidence in one's self are essential. Honesty and a sense of morality help a lot too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nationalist said:

1. I am impressed with myself.  2...sense of morality help a lot too.

1. Of course.  You shouldn't be though.

2. Riiight.  You're so moral that you think you're better than everyone...

Anyway, back to the topic.  I'll leave it with this: I agree with you that some of the initiatives that you refer to are dumb, but education ihas been trying dumb ideas since forever.  I don't see anyone who understands it spelling out soon and gloom.

If someone shows up with evidence, ie. studies, and is less impressed with themselves, I will listen.

37 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Of course.  You shouldn't be though.

2. Riiight.  You're so moral that you think you're better than everyone...

Anyway, back to the topic.  I'll leave it with this: I agree with you that some of the initiatives that you refer to are dumb, but education ihas been trying dumb ideas since forever.  I don't see anyone who understands it spelling out soon and gloom.

If someone shows up with evidence, ie. studies, and is less impressed with themselves, I will listen.

I never said I think I'm better than everyone. But hey...I understand. You tried to paint me as an uneducated oaf, only to find that I punch back. Poor academic...

*giggle*

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I never said I think I'm better than everyone. But hey...I understand. You tried to paint me as an uneducated oaf, only to find that I punch back. Poor academic...

*giggle*

Know what's really funny Mikie?

You just got owned by a college dropout.

Have a nice evening.