Problems with the Minority Government

Hey Eveyone. I want to get some kind of idea of the problems that are exitsting in the government today.

I want to know if these are also the reason for the possible election the Winter.

Any help will be greatly accepted  :)

Thanks,

Adam

The central problem (And arguably the major case for whether or not this government will survive) is whether or not you believe the Liberal government has lost the moral authority to govern and whether or not there is any proof to implicate THIS Liberal team for the failures of the past one.

If the NDP continues to prop up this Liberal government, then the opposition will need three independents to dump the government and force an election.

Hope that helps,

tml

The central problem (And arguably the major case for whether or not this government will survive) is whether or not you believe the Liberal government has lost the moral authority to govern and whether or not there is any proof to implicate THIS Liberal team for the failures of the past one. 

If the NDP continues to prop up this Liberal government, then the opposition will need three independents to dump the government and force an election.

Hope that helps,

tml

It's not as if THIS Liberal team is all that different from THAT Liberal team (i.e. the one in power when the money was stolen.)

The NDP will continue to prop up the Liberals. Having been burned by Layton in the past Harper won't move a non-confidence motion seriously. If Layton does, thus committing his MPs to voting to bring down the government then you will see an election.

I think everybody will just wait until after Gomery's final report.

Hope that helps,

tml

It's not as if THIS Liberal team is all that different from THAT Liberal team (i.e. the one in power when the money was stolen.)

The NDP will continue to prop up the Liberals. Having been burned by Layton in the past Harper won't move a non-confidence motion seriously. If Layton does, thus committing his MPs to voting to bring down the government then you will see an election.

I think everybody will just wait until after Gomery's final report.

Yes,

Canadians love Layton but he has no balls. He would much rather have the Liberals in a minority situation so he can drain the surplus.

He would never risk Martin pulling out a bare majority or Harper pulling out a minority.

Yes,

Canadians love Layton but he has no balls.  He would much rather have the Liberals in a minority situation so he can drain the surplus.

He would never risk Martin pulling out a bare majority or Harper pulling out a minority.

Layton really doesn't have to balls to force an election now. Not a bad thing, a Xmas election would automically be something to deflect away from the ongoing string of Liberal scandals.

Postponing the election until after Gomery's final report is best for all the opposition parties...

Hey Eveyone. I want to get some kind of idea of the problems that are exitsting in the government today.

I want to know if these are also the reason for the possible election the Winter.

Thanks,

Adam

Well Adam, if you were expecting help for your term paper, you've probably come to the wrong place. This forum has too divergent opinions, and we suffer from chronic thread drift.

To answer your question, the main problem with minority government is that the government doesn't have enough seats in the House of Commons.

Now, to the more interesting question about a Christmas election, I see no harm with that all. It would be better if election day were in early January rather than between 25 December and 1 January. Families get together during the holiday season and political discussions are common.

Furthermore, I think a January election date would favour the NDP, the Conservatives and the BQ. These voters usually believe in the political process and will bother to vote even if there is a snow storm. It is the Liberal voters who frequently take little interest in politics and don't have strong feelings one way or the other. They won't bother to vote if the weatehr is bad.

The last winter campaign was February 1980 (the Liberals won) but that was a special election.

It is the Liberal voters who frequently take little interest in politics and don't have strong feelings one way or the other.  They won't bother to vote if the weatehr is bad.

Adam, just to be fair, the above is an opinion, not a fact.

I agree. I think that when people vote they vote for who they want to vote. Granted there may be some Liberal-leaning voters who stay home because they don't care but there are Liberal voters in my riding who will vote come hell or highwater.

There are any problems with minority government. Probably the two most important are the inherent stability and the impossibility of implementing any coherent plan or policy. We see both in this government.

With the NDP holding a balance (sort of), some progressive legislation is happening but it is not the platform of the Liberal Party. Had the Conservatives been the party with the balance, there would have been tax cutting and an different direction on Healthcare, That may have been closer to the Liberal intent.

I can't really think of an instance of minority government that has brought stability and long term planning in any major country. It sometimes does bring benefits when times are uncertain and coalitions with real meaning can be forged.

There are any problems with minority government. Probably the two most important are the inherent stability and the impossibility of implementing any coherent plan or policy. We see both in this government.

With the NDP holding a balance (sort of), some progressive legislation is happening but it is not the platform of the Liberal Party. Had the Conservatives been the party with the balance, there would have been tax cutting and an different direction on Healthcare, That may have been closer to the Liberal intent.

I can't really think of an instance of minority government that has brought stability and long term planning in any major country. It sometimes does bring benefits when times are uncertain and coalitions with real meaning can be forged.

What about Switzerland?

Politics of Switzerland

I have also been told that there are other European countries that typically function with minority governments.

Switzerland is a unique case for reasons that have been with it for 50 years. Its legislative branch is also a coalition of parties not a "minority" government as we would understand the term.

Other examples can be found: notably Italy which has had over 50 governments since WWII. I think you will be hard pressed to find any example of stable government under minorities. You will be harder pressed to find one that has not merely legislated in day to day interests rather than long term planning.

Humber student

You must certaintly be a student if you are not fully aware of the problems pertaining to Canada and this current government.

Many Canadians view the Liberal government as corrupt and no longer in a moral positon to govern Canada.

I to can see a strong possibility of Canadians heading to the polls with snow fakes falling from the sky.

Thanks,

Adam

My main problem with the Minority government is that it's not a Liberal majority.

I love the idea of a Christmas election, all the Far Righters will be too busy to vote! It'd be AWESOME!

Wow, pretty insensitive for a Liberal.

Alas, supporters of the CPC aren't as 'christian' as the ilk of ScottBrison would have you believe.... :lol:

I think that someone in the BQ, CPC or NDP is logging on to Canadian Internet forums, loudly stating their support for the Liberal Party and then posting arrogant, insulting comments. The purpose is to give other posters and forum readers the impression that the Liberal Party is arrogant and out-of-control and deserves some humbling time in opposition.

Our own ScottBrison is an NDP plant!

Alas, supporters of the CPC aren't as 'christian' as the ilk of ScottBrison would have you believe....  :lol:

BAHAHAHAHAH AHH HAH AH HAH AHHAAHAH HAHHAH HA A HAHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh man that's a good one, you should take that show on the road. HIL AIR E OUS!

I wouldn't be suprised if it was around 90%, they both seem to share that same idiotic "We're the only ones that could even possibly be right." mentality that the sane people of the country love so much.

And....August1934, if I was an NDP plant I would have complained that there aren't enough unionized jobs in the factories that make Christmas toys.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was around 90%, they both seem to share that same idiotic "We're the only ones that could even possibly be right." mentality that the sane people of the country love so much.

Typical arrogance and ignorance of the Liberals. See we are all missing the point. Unless you share their myopic view of the world, you aren't 'sane'....

Too bad the ban on trolling here isn't being enforced. :angry:

Alas, supporters of the CPC aren't as 'christian' as the ilk of ScottBrison would have you believe....  :lol:

BAHAHAHAHAH AHH HAH AH HAH AHHAAHAH HAHHAH HA A HAHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh man that's a good one, you should take that show on the road. HIL AIR E OUS!

And....August1934, if I was an NDP plant I would have complained that there aren't enough unionized jobs in the factories that make Christmas toys.

I am so happy to see you engaging in civilized debate Scott.