Is Canada (still) a democracy?

myata

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

Most Canadians agree that Canada has had reasonably good leadership throughout the pandemic, even if "could have better" is acknowledged.  What kind of democracy would it be if a minority of malcontents forced elections for everything they didn't happen to like?

You're entirely correct that it's the citizens who define and decide what democracy they will have (or not). And if the citizens wouldn't hold their governments and officials responsible, they will only hear more of "travel from Wuhan not a problem!" and "don't have to answer that". And why not, wouldn't it be only logical?

Edited by myata

9 minutes ago, myata said:

Which are those most countries we're far ahead of? Shouldn't we know them by now? Maybe Tanzania? Or Ukraine? Let's see:

Maybe you would if you weren't so set in seeing Canada as the worst.  

12 minutes ago, myata said:

So where are those democratic, non-third-world countries "we're still far ahead of"? Do they exist?

Since you seem to want to claim that Canada isn't a democracy (in two threads that I know of), why do you decide to exclude non-democracies?  Anyway, I don't know and am not going to research it right now.  If you want to prove that Canada is the worst, making it a failed democracy, you can look it up and present your evidence.

As it happens, late in 2020, claims that Canada wouldn't be done till mid-2022 were rampant; now it looks like September of 2021 - assuming producers continue to supply the vaccine as promised.  So whatever the situation today, it could be better or worse tomorrow or next week.   

To posit that a moment in time of a changing situation defines Canada as democratic, or not, is a bit silly, imo.

39 minutes ago, dialamah said:

If you want to prove that Canada is the worst, making it a failed democracy, you can look it up and present your evidence.

The evidence was presented and I did take time and effort to find it. If you don't care to see it, it's not really my problem. And while we're at it, it's a fact that it took the great and independent Canadian media eight days to even notice the matter of concerns with one of the vaccines. Just in case, here's information from the Norway Ministry of Health available to Norwegians TODAY. Will Canadians have it ever - I don't know. Do you?

See, these aren't just abstract matters of successes and indexes and they can have very real, measurable cost in the numbers. And the numbers are facts, and facts do not lie, whatever we desired to dream ourselves.