History of Insurrections & Civil Wars

Doug1943

I would like to start a thread on the above-named subject(s).  I propose to exclude the military aspects of 'classic' guerilla wars from discussion, i.e "countryside surrounds the city" wars, like Cuba and China, although I   would include measures taken by the guerilla forces to win  popular support.  But this proposed exclusion is just  a preference and nothing anyone posts is likely be barred.

I would like to see reference to the 1789 and  1830 in France,   1848  in European  countries where  uprisings  took  place,   the Paris   Commune,   Russia  1905 and 19-17-1921, Germany 1918-1923.  These are are suggestive  examples, not an exclusive  list.

Since  none  of   us,  I  suspect,   are  possessed  of much  detailed    knowledge   in   this  area, I  would expect, initially,  most posts  to be references  to  books  and  academic  papers.

Better too  much  than  too little. Technical/military   details  of   Urban Counter-insurgency  stuff   is  not  really  what I'm   looking  for  but  it   might   turn   out   to be  of   interest.  So   don't be  inhibited  in posting   references.

My main interest is not the technical/military aspects of insurrection -- how to take building,  for example -- but the psychological aspects.  My interest was sparked by the so-called 'insurrection' in Washington on 6 January of this  year.  As I read about it and watched videos, I kept thinking ... 'Boy, do you guys ever have no idea about what an insurrection is'. And then I realized I didn't know all that much myself.

I'll start things off with the following four classics, all available for freedown load:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1930/hrr/index.htm   Trotsky's History of the Russian Revolution.  How to do it.

https://libcom.org/library/armed-insurrection-neuberg-1928  The collective work of various Comintern worthies. How not to do it.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1850/class-struggles-france/index.htm    Marx's take. 
https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1871/civil-war-france/ch05.htm

There must be many historical monographs and other academic papers on this subject.  I have access to JSTORE and will eventually do a search there, but if anyone has suggestions now, please post them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the topic...and welcome to zee forum.

I'm a little unclear as to your ultimate objective. We can discuss the merits of Communism & Marxism...there are certainly some. Or the merits of revolution in general...as there are also some there.

On that note...

One could say that Cuba was more prosperous under Batista than the Castro Bros...we could start there. Swimming in money...mob money at times...Cuba was on the fast track to modernization and perhaps becoming the next Puerto Rico (US protectorate) when the revolution hit. Suddenly it all stopped...paved roads reverted to dirt roads.

Was that Communism's fault or America's for being pissed at getting caught blindsided by a revolution in their own backyard?

Is Nicaragua an example of this, as well? Sandinistas, etc...Olly North...Contras. Was that Reagan trying NOT to repeat Cuba...and repeating it anyways?

I think part of the answer to what it is that makes revolution possible, is

1. A certain level of desperation among the people. Desperation and anger at the System.

2. One has to have a means of communication, the ability to broadcast messages without interference from the entrenched authorities. Even if the information is false, as long as there is a sense of it. Then reason easily gives way to emotion.

3. Big money backers. If the idea of revolution is attractive to the elite classes, it is much easier.

4. A symbol of the oppressive powers, a pariah for the people to hate.

• Like 1

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    phoenyx75

• phoenyx75 earned a badge
      First Post
    • paradox34 earned a badge
      Dedicated
    • User went up a rank
      Enthusiast
    • User went up a rank