Taxpayer-Funded, Bigots-Only Housing in Toronto

After taking a second look at Rue's post, it appears as though Rue was at least partially, if not fully correct, and the Global News folks (subsequently me) are at least partially wrong. 

There are subsidized housing buildings in TO for various seniors groups, two artist groups, the amadiyya muslims and a german people's building.

It's not clear which of the buildings are subsidized by the City of Toronto though:

Toronto Community Housing Corporation, private non-profit providers and federally/provincially funded co-ops use the Centralized Waiting list to house applicants. Each of these providers has a list of clients waiting for housing according to the ranking on the centralized waiting list.

Global News identified the muslim-only building as city-funded but didn't say which of the other buildings are or aren't.

In the case of the seniors' buildings this makes some sense, we have a person in our family who's going through Alzheimer's and it would be hard for him to live with a lot of people who don't speak english. He doesn't even do well with english speakers. I could see certain xxx-language-only seniors housing being subsidized by the city, but not to the same extent as a non-discriminatory seniors building. But by religion? Nyyyaaaaa. Too bad ya old racists. Definitely no city-subsidies for you. 

I don't know everything about the artist's buildings, I don't have the same level of sympathy for them as the language-needy seniors, but if the layout is geared towards art displays and it's privately funded - sure. I could see a bit of a gov't subsidy. It's taxpayers contributing to the arts. We give the CBC enough and get basically nothing from it. Ugh. It goes against my capitalist nature but whatever.

In the case of the germanic building and the muslim building - utter bullshit. If the government is really funding these buildings which are purely racist in their conception and usage then it's outrageous. I'm not even comfortable with this type of building with any kind of a private subsidy - at all. There's no difference between this and what Trump did in NYC. If it wasn't cool then, the City of TO didn't just make it cool now. 

There's nothing stopping a huge bigot from getting a big, shiny Mandate-Only sticker on his new building, saying that it's subsidized, and charging bigots a premium to live in his building, where they don't have to worry about rubbing shoulders with people they consider to be inferior.

Sorry Rue, you cranky old bastard. And you too dialamah. DON'T EVER COPY AND PASTE MY APOLOGY THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!! I'll deny it! I hope you can't read this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Wes I deleted my response. I just saw yours.   I agree obviously with you on  not using public funding in a way that discriminates..To think you call me cranky. Lol. Crotchety is the word. Hey  I annoy myself. I send you plenty of likes and Argus in spite of some disagreements. Its all good. Its just debate.  I mostly agree with you and Argus anyways.  On Trump I deferred to criticism from you. Its all good. Dia and I debate..its all good...

Edited by Rue
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Sorry Rue, you cranky old bastard. And you too dialamah. DON'T EVER COPY AND PASTE MY APOLOGY THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!! I'll deny it! I hope you can't read this. 

Oh, you just cheered me up immensely - not cause I was right, but for the humor! Love it!  Thank you!  :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 3:57 PM, WestCanMan said:

After taking a second look at Rue's post, it appears as though Rue was at least partially, if not fully correct, and the Global News folks (subsequently me) are at least partially wrong. 

There are subsidized housing buildings in TO for various seniors groups, two artist groups, the amadiyya muslims and a german people's building.

It's not clear which of the buildings are subsidized by the City of Toronto though:

Global News identified the muslim-only building as city-funded but didn't say which of the other buildings are or aren't.

In the case of the seniors' buildings this makes some sense, we have a person in our family who's going through Alzheimer's and it would be hard for him to live with a lot of people who don't speak english. He doesn't even do well with english speakers. I could see certain xxx-language-only seniors housing being subsidized by the city, but not to the same extent as a non-discriminatory seniors building. But by religion? Nyyyaaaaa. Too bad ya old racists. Definitely no city-subsidies for you. 

I don't know everything about the artist's buildings, I don't have the same level of sympathy for them as the language-needy seniors, but if the layout is geared towards art displays and it's privately funded - sure. I could see a bit of a gov't subsidy. It's taxpayers contributing to the arts. We give the CBC enough and get basically nothing from it. Ugh. It goes against my capitalist nature but whatever.

In the case of the germanic building and the muslim building - utter bullshit. If the government is really funding these buildings which are purely racist in their conception and usage then it's outrageous. I'm not even comfortable with this type of building with any kind of a private subsidy - at all. There's no difference between this and what Trump did in NYC. If it wasn't cool then, the City of TO didn't just make it cool now. 

There's nothing stopping a huge bigot from getting a big, shiny Mandate-Only sticker on his new building, saying that it's subsidized, and charging bigots a premium to live in his building, where they don't have to worry about rubbing shoulders with people they consider to be inferior.

Well you'll be disappointed to learn that Mandate Housing in Toronto is publicly subsidized rent for housing that is exclusive to certain communities of people - Artists, Germanic, Hellenic, etc and yes, one is for a specific Muslim community. 

They are privately owned buildings, perhaps not-for-profit, who accept applicants from relevant communities who qualify for public rent subsidy - ie, tenant pays rent of no more than 30% of their total income, and the City pays the rest. 

IE, The buildings are not funded by the City/government, but some of the residents' rents are subsidized by government. 

The artists' buildings have normal apartments, and also have a community space that can be booked as a gallery for art shows, among other things. Not particularly designed for artists, but flexibly useful for them.

Interestingly, the 1 bedroom artist apartment that I saw had been organized by the artist tenant as follows:

Bedroom - used as a supply/storage room for personal art collection, art supplies and equipment.

Living/diningroom - then totally empty, but used for setup as an art studio for painting and other artistic work, some quite large.

A loft (added) hung by chains above the Livingroom contained a bed. 

Lol  Artists are creative! 

Edited by jacee

26 minutes ago, jacee said:

Well you'll be disappointed to learn that Mandate Housing in Toronto is publicly subsidized rent for housing that is exclusive to certain communities of people - Artists, Germanic, Hellenic, etc and yes, one is for a specific Muslim community. 

They are privately owned buildings, perhaps not-for-profit, who accept applicants from relevant communities who qualify for public rent subsidy - ie, tenant pays rent of no more than 30% of their total income, and the City pays the rest. 

IE, The buildings are not funded by the City/government, but some of the residents' rents are subsidized by government. 

The artists' buildings have normal apartments, and also have a community space that can be booked as a gallery for art shows, among other things. Not particularly designed for artists, but flexibly useful for them.

Interestingly, the 1 bedroom artist apartment that I saw had been organized by the artist tenant as follows:

Bedroom - used as a supply/storage room for personal art collection, art supplies and equipment.

Living/diningroom - then totally empty, but used for setup as an art studio for painting and other artistic work, some quite large.

A loft (added) hung by chains above the Livingroom contained a bed. 

Lol  Artists are creative! 

1) You're covering old ground

2) Just because there are different forms of bigots-only housing doesn't make it ok. No one, me included, is acting like it was ok for Trump to do it in the '60s, and it didn't become cool when we started it in 2003 or whatever.