That Canada-U.S. Chill: Does Not Exist!

Do Americans Take Canada Too Much For Granted?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That Canada-U.S. chill

Remember the poll 10 weeks ago that found Canadians see Americans as "rude, greedy and violent?" The one that found fewer Canadians view the U.S. in a good light today than three years ago? And that the U.S. is "broadly disliked" in Canada and around the world?

Well, the Big Chill turns out to be not so very big, and not so very chilly.

Canadians who oppose the Iraq war on principle and who resent being bullied on softwood lumber won't ever warm to U.S. President George Bush's Republican administration. But any political frostiness some of us may feel toward official Washington does not extend to our friends, allies and neighbours.

When Hurricane Katrina devastated the U.S. Gulf coast, wreaking $100 billion havoc and killing thousands, Canadians were among the first to respond. Just as we helped when the 9/11 bombers struck the World Trade Center and other sites.

"Canada has come to our aid early and eagerly," U.S. ambassador David Wilkins said yesterday in a remarkable open letter. "Thank you Canada for giving us your very best — your treasure, your talent and your time. You were there for us in the wake of 9/11. You're here for us now."

It's good to hear the US Ambassador give Canada an appreciation once in a while, as Americans too often take us for granted. Americans seem to have difficulty grasping the fact that we love Americans, but we don't necessarily love this current US Administration.

And no we haven't forgotten about it, we are going to get our $5-6 billion back. :rolleyes:

I hear no hostility to Canada down here.

when i used to live in michigan i saw a fair deal of the cross border problems. I voted yes, for the simple reason that we have in fact taken advantage of the North America trade agreement, and we have allowed rampant smuggling of drugs, guns, and alcohol across the borders. I do miss visiting toronto and montreal but as i live in the deep south, my only point of news for canada is either the national news or this website. Its not that we dont care, its that we have very few sources. Another thing you have to keep in mind, Most of our attention in the last 20 years has been aimed abroad and less and less at home.

Of course not. Americans are too self-absorbed to give us even a passing thought. We're about as important to them as Panama or Luxembourg: that hasn't changed in 130 years.

Not self-absorbed, just realists. Unlike Canadians, who have this bizarre notion that they are important in the world. Perhaps they actually believe PM Paul "we lead the world!" Martin. :rolleyes:

Anyone can see how important Canada is in the world by the number of dignitaries who flee to the hotel bar when someone from Canada speaks at the UN.

Not self-absorbed, just realists. Unlike Canadians, who have this bizarre notion that they are important in the world. Perhaps they actually believe PM Paul "we lead the world!" Martin

No, self-absorbed. American culture is entirely inward looking and fixed around the notion of American exceptionalism. America uber alles.

As for your complete non-sequiter about Canada's place in the world, it's only the insecure, status-obsessed crybabies on the right who consider such things to be important.

Only the far-left Toronto Star would call a refusal to help enforce a broken ceasefire, a refusal to enforce 17 broken Chapter VII UN resolutions - "opposing the war on principle".

Why don't they tell the truth? Canada didn't give 2 shits about the Iraqi people, enforcing the 17 broken UN resolutions or enforcing the broken ceasefire. Canada was only interested in allowing the Chretien family to take more and more of Saddam's blood money.

And bullying Canada on softwood lumber? WTF? I don't know who is correct in this dispute, but the fact is that the WTO ruled against Canada and it took me about 5 seconds (thru Google) to find 2 other organizations who ruled against Canada.

And it was downright embarrassing when it took days for the PM to say anything about the Katrina tragedy. Layton was also silent. The first one to step up to the plate was Stephen Harper.

Don't these idiots know that ambassadors are supposed to be diplomatic?

Honestly, I don't know why the Americans continue to allow Canada to leech off them. With the ungrateful infantile mooches in power (the Liberal Party), if I was Dubya, I'd tell Canada to take a hike.

But the cool and calm Dubya understands that he is supposed to defend the country.

And bullying Canada on softwood lumber? WTF? I don't know who is correct in this dispute,

That much is clear.

but the fact is that the WTO ruled against Canada and it took me about 5 seconds (thru Google) to find 2 other organizations who ruled against Canada.

If you had spent more than 2 seconds on this, then you might know that the majority of rulings on this dispute have gone against the U.S. The NAFTA panel has ruled against the U.S. four times (NAFTA decisions, unlike those made by the WTO, are binding). The U.S. has simply ignored these rulings, choosing to side with the domestic forestry lobby over its agreed upon trade commintments.

And it was downright embarrassing when it took days for the PM to say anything about the Katrina tragedy. Layton was also silent. The first one to step up to the plate was Stephen Harper.

Wow, Harper even beat Bush to the punch! :lol:

Not self-absorbed, just realists. Unlike Canadians, who have this bizarre notion that they are important in the world. Perhaps they actually believe PM Paul "we lead the world!" Martin

No, self-absorbed. American culture is entirely inward looking and fixed around the notion of American exceptionalism. America uber alles.

As for your complete non-sequiter about Canada's place in the world, it's only the insecure, status-obsessed crybabies on the right who consider such things to be important.

Nope. It is the loony liberal leftists in Canada who have this bizarre notion that Canada is important in the world. All one has to do is look at the attention that the rest of the world gave Canada when Paul "we lead the world" Martin spoke at the UN. Instead of listening to Martin, most of the world leaders chose to head to the hotel bar.

How many times have I seen on the internet..."You Americans are stupid. Us Canadians know where St. Louis is, but you idiots don't know where Brandon, Manitioba is. Hahaha, you dumb Americans."

And please consult a dictionary before you start throwing around words like "non-sequitur". It is apparent that you have no clue what the word means.

And bullying Canada on softwood lumber? WTF? I don't know who is correct in this dispute,

That much is clear.

but the fact is that the WTO ruled against Canada and it took me about 5 seconds (thru Google) to find 2 other organizations who ruled against Canada.

If you had spent more than 2 seconds on this, then you might know that the majority of rulings on this dispute have gone against the U.S. The NAFTA panel has ruled against the U.S. four times (NAFTA decisions, unlike those made by the WTO, are binding). The U.S. has simply ignored these rulings, choosing to side with the domestic forestry lobby over its agreed upon trade commintments.

Wow, Harper even beat Bush to the punch! :lol:

1) Hooray for Judge Black Dog. If only Judge Harold Baer was as wise as Judge Black Dog. :lol:

2) Do you think this is a contest.

Judge Black Dog: "We are leading 6-4 in rulings. We win. Yay!"

3) Your link didn't prove that Harper beat Bush to the punch. You seem to forget something. I have caught you lying so many times that I always factcheck your ass.

Thanks for playing. :P

Of course not. Americans are too self-absorbed to give us even a passing thought. We're about as important to them as Panama or Luxembourg: that hasn't changed in 130 years.

Not self-absorbed, just realists. Unlike Canadians, who have this bizarre notion that they are important in the world. Perhaps they actually believe PM Paul "we lead the world!" Martin. :rolleyes:

Anyone can see how important Canada is in the world by the number of dignitaries who flee to the hotel bar when someone from Canada speaks at the UN.

There's truth in both these sentiments. America is a very self-absorbed country. However, for those living in Canada, its a bit of a shock that the world pays little attention to us. I've lived in England, and they pay no attention to us either. I think Canadians have a self-inflated view of themselves in the world. But I don't think that's unique to Canada either.

Nope. It is the loony liberal leftists in Canada who have this bizarre notion that Canada is important in the world. All one has to do is look at the attention that the rest of the world gave Canada when Paul "we lead the world" Martin spoke at the UN. Instead of listening to Martin, most of the world leaders chose to head to the hotel bar.

Wow, your cut and paste of your previous post sure is insightful!

Anyway: again, the only person who has brought up "Canada's place in the world" is you.

And please consult a dictionary before you start throwing around words like "non-sequitur". It is apparent that you have no clue what the word means.

um...you started going on about Canadians ideas about its place in the world, which did not follow the previous line of discussion on Canada-U./S. relations. In other words: it was a non sequitur.

Judge Black Dog: "We are leading 6-4 in rulings. We win. Yay!"

Wow. You're just embarassaing yourself now. Rather than betraying your ignorance with personal attacks, why not read up on the subject and why the NAFTA rulings in Canada's favour are significant.

3) Your link didn't prove that Harper beat Bush to the punch.

My link simply showed that while Harper was extending his condolences,. Geroge Bush was playing cowboy on his vacation.

You seem to forget something. I have caught you lying so many times that I always factcheck your ass.

Wow. While it's apparent that your political beliefs stem from your need for a big, strong daddy figure, this is not some game of schoolyard oneupmanship.

Somebody likes Canada.

Louisiana senator: Thank you Canada

Last Updated Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:12:44 EDT 141

CBC News

A Louisiana state senator has praised a Canadian search and rescue team. Senator Walter Boasso said a Vancouver-based team reached St. Bernard parish five days before the U.S. army got there.

"Fabulous, fabulous guys," Boasso said. "They started rolling with us and got in boats to save people ... We've got Canadian flags flying everywhere."

The suburb of 68,000 people was initially ignored by U.S. authorities who were scrambling to get aid to New Orleans. Boasso said floodwater in his parish is still 2.4 metres deep in some places.

He said residents of the outlying parishes had to mount their own rescue and relief efforts when Hurricane Katrina struck last week.

The U.S. government response to the disaster has been widely criticized. Some politicians and editorial writers have called for the resignation of top Bush administration officials.

Boasso saved his praise for the Canadians and their quick work. "They were so glad to be here," he said. "They're still here. They are actually going door-to-door looking in the attics" for people to rescue.

Louisiana senator: Thank you Canada

Last Updated Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:12:44 EDT 141

CBC News

A Louisiana state senator has praised a Canadian search and rescue team. Senator Walter Boasso said a Vancouver-based team reached St. Bernard parish five days before the U.S. army got there.

Apparently a Fox news reporter asked Frank McKenna if Canada was trying to show up the American relief efforts by getting there first.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscribe...p-3509351c.html

Even right-wing Fox News, notoriously hard on Canada's perceived security failings and public antipathy toward Bush, was glowing in its portrayal of the country's efforts yesterday.

Host John Gibson, filling in for Bill O'Reilly, listed at length Canada's efforts, including the "embarrassing" arrival of the Vancouver team before Americans got there.

Yet, Gibson persisted in asking Ambassador Frank McKenna if Canada's intent was to make the president look bad.

"This has got nothing to do with George Bush," said McKenna. "Canadians want to be with you when you're in trouble. It's as simple as that."

I'm glad Bush finally realizes our importance to the relief effort, compared to this pathetic statement he gave on Sept 1 denying the need for foreign aid:

"[W]e're going to take care of our own business... and there's no doubt in my mind we'll succeed."

Only the far-left Toronto Star would call a refusal to help enforce a broken ceasefire, a refusal to enforce 17 broken Chapter VII UN resolutions - "opposing the war on principle".

Perhaps it's because we saw through the hypocrisy inherent in Bush's decision to go to war.

It's really easy to see. Use UN resolutions to justify a war, but against the wishes of the UN security council, whose approval should have been acquired before the initial attack.

It kind of like seeing a jaywalker, and deciding that because HE broke the law, you should beat him up.

Besides, according to BUSH and Company, the UN is irrelevent (at least when it suits their needs), so what matter if Saddam was breaking UN resolutions???

But wait, later on BushCo asked the UN for help in rebuilding Iraq, but only if the USA got to direct the orchestra.

The hypocrisy surrounding the whole Iraq debacle is really quite astounding to see.

Why don't they tell the truth?  Canada didn't give 2 shits about the Iraqi people, enforcing the 17 broken UN resolutions or enforcing the broken ceasefire.  Canada was only interested in allowing the Chretien family to take more and more of Saddam's blood money

In the same way that we didn't give a toss about the Afghani people???

We have people over there, some of whom have been killed. By Americans.

And yet we're still there helping out.

And bullying Canada on softwood lumber?  WTF?  I don't know who is correct in this dispute, but the fact is that the WTO ruled against Canada and it took me about 5 seconds (thru Google) to find 2 other organizations who ruled against Canada. 

Please post links to these organizations and their rulings. I would be interested in seeing them.

I won't ask (yet) if any of them have names like "The Great American Lumber Company".

Bottom line is the WTO is internationally recognized as an arbiter (even by the USA), as is the ruling body of NAFTA.

Both ruled against the USA on this issue.

And it was downright embarrassing when it took days for the PM to say anything about the Katrina tragedy.  Layton was also silent.  The first one to step up to the plate was Stephen Harper. 

Good for Harper. I knew he'd eventually turn out to be good for something.

Sorry, that was unkind.

But seriously, good for Harper. He spoke noble words, and appropriately so.

Don't these idiots know that ambassadors are supposed to be diplomatic? 

Perhaps you can give them lessons in diplomacy and etiquette :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't know why the Americans continue to allow Canada to leech off them.  With the ungrateful infantile mooches in power (the Liberal Party), if I was Dubya, I'd tell Canada to take a hike. 

Perhaps it's because of the amount of money they make off us.

Leech??? Yeah, right. :lol:

But the cool and calm Dubya understands that he is supposed to defend the country.

Please don't say things like this. I laughed so hard that I snorted coffee out my nose.

"Cool and calm". Heh heh heh.