Who Are You Going To Vote For?

mirror

Which Political Party Will You Be Supporting Next Election?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wonder if the people posting here at MLW fit into the pattern of the recent national political polling, or whether we are a bit different because of the fact that the MLW website is based in Alberta.

As we head into the Labour Day weekend soon Canadian politics will be upon us once again.

If it was election day when you read this which political party will you be supporting?

Please include your projections for the various political parties if you wish as well.

Interesting breakdown of voting preferences so far. It seems that perhaps Liberal fans, according to the recent polls, are under represented at MLW compared to the other political party supporters here, which is understandable considering they are the government, so their supporters are less likely to come onto discussion boards like this and complain about our federal government.

Thanks to all those that have participated so far.

August, that's an additional good point.

So far the results here at MLW are:

Con probably - 2

Cons definitely - 3

Libs definitely - 2

NDP probably - 1

NDP definitely - 2

Not voting - 1

Total - 11 votes

I wonder if there is going to be one overriding issue for the coming election campaign. I don't think it will be SSM, or Gomery. And it's kinda hard to take down a government when the economy is so good. Maybe the overriding issue will be health care, although I'm sure younger people are probably getting a wee bit tired of this issue. Global warming, I don't think we are there yet in the minds of the average voter, although the price of oil certainly can focus the mind.

A real shocker here. I will vote NDP again as I have every election. The Liberals need to be turfed because there has been too much corruption in our federal government to let them in again. Unfortunately, Harper and company have chosen to oppose same sex marriage which really bothers me and too often they seem to be willing to kiss US ass. They have also flip flopped on issues so IMO, they have not adequately differentiated themselves from the Liberals.

I would really like to see a platform of prioritizing government spending, having a forensic accountant find areas to reduce waste and then fund our priorities properly. I guess I would like to see a "good government" platform again.

[Edited to add, how can anyone vote Liberal? I can obviously understand other New Democrats and I can even get Conservatives, but why vote Liberal?]

Latest results.

Bloc definitely - 1 vote

Con probably - 2 votes

Con definitely - 5 votes

Lib definitely - 3 votes or 19%

NDP probably - 1 vote

NDP definitely - 3 votes

Refusing to vote - 1 vote

Total - 16 votes

And the Liberals are within majority government range according to the latest polls. Hummm..........

August, that's an additional good point.

So far the results here at MLW are:

Con probably - 2

Cons definitely - 3

Libs definitely - 2

NDP probably - 1

NDP definitely - 2

Not voting - 1

Total - 11 votes

I wonder if there is going to be one overriding issue for the coming election campaign. I don't think it will be SSM, or Gomery. And it's kinda hard to take down a government when the economy is so good. Maybe the overriding issue will be health care, although I'm sure younger people are probably getting a wee bit tired of this issue. Global warming, I don't think we are there yet in the minds of the average voter, although the price of oil certainly can focus the mind.

THe economy is good for whom? Most of the jobs being advertised today are TERM positions, and TERM employment does not make for preparing a stable future for our young, well educated individuals. Post secondary education is again becoming an elitist dream where only the affluent will be able to afford an education in the near future. Many of those graduating today are forced to leave the country to be able to afford to pay back student debt loads, and things don't look any brighter on the horizon. Corporations are downsizing and prices are escalating at a pace that many people can no longer afford to purchase even the necessities of life never mind the extras. Food bank and soup kitchen usage is up right across Canada and is climbing daily. Where is the economy good for ordinary Canadians, when many ordinary Canadian's are not even secure in their present employment situations. In many respects we have been turned into a service economy, and even there many of these jobs are being outsourced to places like India where corporations can pay next to nothing for labour costs. Even a once Canadian owned institution has fallen pray to that, Air Canada has outsourced many of their reservation call-centre jobs to New Delhi, India. Dell Computer now does much of their technical supporet from India as well, as well as many other such companies we do not yet know about is taking this cheap route. Meanwhile Canadians are not prepared if and when the axe falls and they are told their job is being eliminated here in Canada.

Many people in this country in the 40 - 55 year age bracket are being downsized out of a job, and they have few prospects of being offered anything for which they are trained or educated for. employers today look at people as simply a resource to use, abuse, and discard. The rich get rich and the poor get poorer, as the saying goes. The only thing really growing is government bureaucracy.

Hi, new here and first post too. I would deff vote for the NDP in the next election (if I was of age to vote). I believe the NDP has a solid plan for Canada that is thinking long term rather than a short get rich quick scheme on the backs of the poorest Canadians.

Does this plan still include banning oil exports to the U.S., thereby hurting the oil industries and economies of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland in order to make points with virulent anti-Americanism?

Interesting to see the breakdown of party supporters here at MLW:

Bloc Probably [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Bloc Definitely [ 1 ] [5.00%]

Conservative Probably [ 2 ] [10.00%]

Conservative Definitely [ 6 ] [30.00%]

Liberal Probably [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Liberal Definitely [ 3 ] [15.00%]

New Democrat Probably [ 1 ] [5.00%]

New Democrat Definitely [ 4 ] [20.00%]

Other Probably [ 2 ] [10.00%]

Other Definitely [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Not Canadian Citizen [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Refusing To Vote [ 1 ] [5.00%]

None Of The Above [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Total [ 20 ] [100%]

These results certainly seem to confirm my hunch that the Liberals are quite underrepresented here at MLW, and that the Conservatives are way over represented here, compared to Canada's reality according to the latest opinion polls.

Interesting to see the breakdown of party supporters here at MLW:

These results certainly seem to confirm my hunch that the Liberals are quite underrepresented here at MLW, and that the Conservatives are way over represented here, compared to Canada's reality according to the latest opinion polls.

Why don`t you waste your time on rabble.ca then?

Your constant misreading and misrepresenting of polls and articles here on the site isn`t moving any opinion and really shows how lame and vacuous you are.

QUOTE(lefthour @ Sep 5 2005, 12:08 PM)

Hi, new here and first post too. I would deff vote for the NDP in the next election (if I was of age to vote). I believe the NDP has a solid plan for Canada that is thinking long term rather than a short get rich quick scheme on the backs of the poorest Canadians.

Does this plan still include banning oil exports to the U.S., thereby hurting the oil industries and economies of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland in order to make points with virulent anti-Americanism?

Hrmm, not sure I got the QUOTE thing correct but anyways about your question. If banning oil exports to the USA would be beneficial to Canada, and the rest of the world in the long run...I would say do it. I'm also not sure where you got this idea the NDP would ban oil exports to the USA, I haven't heard this, but very possible I missed it. I also don't see anything wrong with diversifying where our oil goes...and if that includes a slowing of how much oil we send to the USA to somewhere else because another market is proven more accessible or stable or for whatever reason.

Everybody makes points somehow: cutting welfare, education, healthcare expenditures, opposing SSM are also examples of how parties make points.

Hrmm, not sure I got the QUOTE thing correct but anyways about your question. If banning oil  exports to the USA would be beneficial to Canada, and the rest of the world in the long run...I would say do it. I'm also not sure where you got this idea the NDP would ban oil exports to the USA, I haven't heard this, but very possible I missed it. I also don't see anything wrong with diversifying where our oil goes...and if that includes a slowing of how much oil we send to the USA to somewhere else because another market is proven more accessible or stable or for whatever reason.

I misspoke (mistyped?) and meant the proposal Layton floated about putting an export tax on oil flowing to America. Bottom line such a move would not be helpful to Canada as a whole.

America is always going to be our best customer for a variety of reasons. Huge demand, stable domestic political situation (say what you will but the likelihood of a coup in America is next to zero), low transportation costs and a flawed, yet generally functioning, free trade agreement.

The proposal slap tariffs on oil floating out of Canada is ridiculous and a terrible way to deal with an unfair trading party. Back in the days of the NEP ole Trudeau was only screwing Alberta. Now that Newfoundland and Saskatchewan also get significant income from oil royalties Martin won't even think of going there.

Slap duties on selected products they are sending to us.

NDP for sure.

Mulroony, a

killed me forever as a PC, and Harper likewise as a big C.

Liberals are crooks.

Lots of people say the NDP has no experience. I say, that is good, they will get some.

NDP will have a great first term in order to prove they can do the job. They want re-elected which is natural.

Their second term will tell the story, if they get a second term.

If they ever get a first term.LOL

No Conservative or Liberal votes will ever come from this guy again. I voted PC all my life till Mulroony screwed us so royally.

Owl

I'll vote for the party that supports some kind of electoral reform. That means the NDP. the current system is a sham and there's no sense trying to do anything else befor efixing the glaring lack of proper representation in this country.

I agree. Electoral reform should be pushed and pushed hard as an election topic.

Owl

Interesting party support here at MLW:

Bloc Probably [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Bloc Definitely [ 1 ] [3.13%]

Conservative Probably [ 2 ] [6.25%]

Conservative Definitely [ 10 ] [31.25%]

Liberal Probably [ 1 ] [3.13%]

Liberal Definitely [ 6 ] [18.75%]

New Democrat Probably [ 3 ] [9.38%]

New Democrat Definitely [ 5 ] [15.63%]

Other Probably [ 2 ] [6.25%]

Other Definitely [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Not Canadian Citizen [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Refusing To Vote [ 2 ] [6.25%]

None Of The Above [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Tories are overrepresented, yea Leithbridge, the Grits are underrepresented, and the NDP might be a bit overrepresented, compared to our national polling statistics. It confirms my hunch that these kind of boards usually attrack the opposition party supporters more often than the government supporters.

Tories are overrepresented, yea Leithbridge, the Grits are underrepresented, and the NDP might be a bit overrepresented, compared to our national polling statistics. It confirms my hunch that these kind of boards usually attrack the opposition party supporters more often than the government supporters.

And those who spell at a grade nine level? :lol: