WWED? (What Would Europe Do?)

JamesHackerMP

American liberals often glorify western Europe. They say these countries are better to live in in many respects. I don't doubt that they are, in some certain ways, but what gets ridiculous is that American liberals will praise western Europe for everything---and then quietly ignore the dark side.

Take Denmark. After welcoming thousands of immigrants in with open arms--and being critical of the United States for OUR treatment of immigrants--they change their mind and decide to do things like this:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/05/europe/denmark-immigrant-island-scli-intl/index.html

If America did this--which it couldn't--Amnesty International would be up our butts faster than a rat through an aqueduct. We already take flack from liberals in the U.S. for our treatment of immigrants, and for tear gassing people who tried to storm the U.S. border checkpoint south of San Diego.

But it's OK to do this sort of thing, because it's western Europe. It never fails to amaze me how the Left in America conveniently ignores the dark side of the continent it puts up on a pedestal.

Now I realize many of the Brussels-mandated refugees haven't turned out to be model guests. But even I, a foreign policy hawk, think something like this goes too far.

But trying telling that to far left Democrats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesHackerMP said:

American liberals often glorify western Europe. They say these countries are better to live in in many respects. I don't doubt that they are, in some certain ways, but what gets ridiculous is that American liberals will praise western Europe for everything---and then quietly ignore the dark side.

Take Denmark. After welcoming thousands of immigrants in with open arms--and being critical of the United States for OUR treatment of immigrants--they change their mind and decide to do things like this:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/05/europe/denmark-immigrant-island-scli-intl/index.html

If America did this--which it couldn't--Amnesty International would be up our butts faster than a rat through an aqueduct. We already take flack from liberals in the U.S. for our treatment of immigrants, and for tear gassing people who tried to storm the U.S. border checkpoint south of San Diego.

But it's OK to do this sort of thing, because it's western Europe. It never fails to amaze me how the Left in America conveniently ignores the dark side of the continent it puts up on a pedestal.

Now I realize many of the Brussels-mandated refugees haven't turned out to be model guests. But even I, a foreign policy hawk, think something like this goes too far.

But trying telling that to far left Democrats.

The pedestal's made of sand.  It won't last.

There is an American travel guru ("liberal" Rick Steves) who specializes in Europe with several seasons on PBS.    He routinely touts the superiority of Europe over America even as he explains the many tourist attractions like world war military cemeteries, bombed out and rebuilt ruins, concentration camps, Christian clashes with Islam, famines, plague, cultural ghettos, fallen governments, etc.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly is wrong with this idea? They're not putting normal asylum seekers on the island. And the fact it's an island is essentially meaningless. Their quarters will be humane. That it's on an island merely makes it harder for them to wander off and maybe rape someone.

According to a government statement, the new center will house migrants who have what is known as "tolerated stay" status, meaning they do not have a residence permit but cannot be deported for other reasons, including threats to their life if they are sent home; those who are set to be deported due to criminal activity or for national security reasons; and foreign fighters and rejected asylum seekers convicted of breaking certain laws.

So they're criminals and terrorists, foreign fighters, and others whose asylum claims have been rejected, but who can't be immediately deported because of the EU's stupid laws, which make it illegal to deport anyone to countries where someone might be rude to them. Note, these people are free to leave any time as long as they leave Denmark.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

What exactly is wrong with this idea? They're not putting normal asylum seekers on the island. And the fact it's an island is essentially meaningless. Their quarters will be humane. That it's on an island merely makes it harder for them to wander off and maybe rape someone.

According to a government statement, the new center will house migrants who have what is known as "tolerated stay" status, meaning they do not have a residence permit but cannot be deported for other reasons, including threats to their life if they are sent home; those who are set to be deported due to criminal activity or for national security reasons; and foreign fighters and rejected asylum seekers convicted of breaking certain laws.

So they're criminals and terrorists, foreign fighters, and others whose asylum claims have been rejected, but who can't be immediately deported because of the EU's stupid laws, which make it illegal to deport anyone to countries where someone might be rude to them. Note, these people are free to leave any time as long as they leave Denmark.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.  I can't imagine anyone actually having a sane objection to it. 

That doesn't mean we won't see a few, of course...

36 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That didn't stop you from trying though did it? 

I certainly don't intend to say the U.S. has a moral high ground, on the issue of immigration or anything else. My intent is to criticize the liberal position that Europe has one. In our country the liberals worship Europe for some reason. No country should be worshipped as a shining example, though we may take successes in other countries as examples (does that make sense?)

The right, on the other hand, wants to tie everything up with religion in the U.S.

Just now, JamesHackerMP said:

I certainly don't intend to say the U.S. has a moral high ground, on the issue of immigration or anything else.

No, your intent was to say that liberals occupy the low ground.

My intent is to criticize the liberal position that Europe has one. In our country the liberals worship Europe for some reason. No country should be worshipped as a shining example, though we may take successes in other countries as examples (does that make sense?)

The right, on the other hand, wants to tie everything up with religion in the U.S.

No the right want's everyone to understand loudly and clearly that everything is about whether you're a lefty or not. Nothing else matters. Period.

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No, your intent was to say that liberals occupy the low ground.

If you say so. Thank goodness you can read my mind.

For the record, I lean left. There are plenty of times I go after the right for their own little failures and foibles.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

4 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Yes, I do say so :)

This is one of the reasons I rail against such definitions.  They are far too vague, and people are far more complicated than that.  I also lean left, but you wouldn't know it from the arguments I have on here, or the other place.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

The right wing is not a place, its a direction, on an endless journey that's forever just getting underway.

Both wings are, with about as much common direction amongst themselves as they have with each other.

Try this for instance.  I have nothing but contempt for right wing religious nutjobs, and I don't want any immigrating to my country. 

What wing am I?

On 12/22/2018 at 3:47 PM, bcsapper said:

Both wings are, with about as much common direction amongst themselves as they have with each other.

Try this for instance.  I have nothing but contempt for right wing religious nutjobs, and I don't want any immigrating to my country. 

What wing am I?

The same one that thinks it would be fitting to put immigrants in a place where animals were quarantined.

Oh wait, that's not being ideological, its just what a sphincter would do. 

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The same one that thinks it would be fitting to put immigrants in a place where animals were quarantined.

Oh wait, that's not being ideological, its just what a sphincter would do. 

Why would someone who is against right wing religious nutjobs immigrating to their country be the same as someone who thinks it would be fitting to put immigrants in a place where animals were quarantined?  I think that's the kind of thing right wing religious nutjobs would do, and that's one of the reasons I wouldn't want them immigrating to my country

I think you're making my point for me.  Is it because it's Christmas?

Edited by bcsapper

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

Why would someone who is against right wing religious nutjobs immigrating to their country be the same as someone who thinks it would be fitting to put immigrants in a place where animals were quarantined?

If they were being assholes about it.  You'd have to be an asshole for example to suggest turning a facility that was used to house rapists into a halfway house for abused women.

I think that's the kind of thing right wing religious nutjobs would do, and that's one of the reasons I wouldn't want them immigrating to my country

Clearly you have nothing against assholes.

I think you're making my point for me.  Is it because it's Christmas?

I don't think you think very clearly about the shit you say any time of year.

27 minutes ago, eyeball said:

If they were being assholes about it.  You'd have to be an asshole for example to suggest turning a facility that was used to house rapists into a halfway house for abused women.

Clearly you have nothing against assholes.

I don't think you think very clearly about the shit you say any time of year.

I don't think any of your comments there actually made any sense.  Wth regard to those comments of mine that you quoted, that is.

Is it the eggnog?

We should seek clarification.  Do you have anything but contempt for right wing religious nutjobs, and would you want any immigrating to your country?

On 12/23/2018 at 5:20 PM, bcsapper said:

I don't think any of your comments there actually made any sense.  Wth regard to those comments of mine that you quoted, that is.

Well, not all assholes are right wingers but most right-wingers are assholes.  I mean c'mon, right wingers want policies that reflect their prejudicial contempt for, immigrants, gender issues, climate etc etc.  Its like a counter to this disgust they have for virtue signalling - instead they want policies or government actions that signal their disgust.  They revel in being assholes. Its like a symbol for being tough.

Is it the eggnog?

No it's just disgust.

We should seek clarification.  Do you have anything but contempt for right wing religious nutjobs, and would you want any immigrating to your country?

No I think we have enough assholes already thanks.    

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Well, not all assholes are right wingers but most right-wingers are assholes.  I mean c'mon, right wingers want policies that reflect their prejudicial contempt for, immigrants, gender issues, climate etc etc.  Its like a counter to this disgust they have for virtue signalling - instead they want policies or government actions that signal their disgust.  They revel in being assholes. Its like a symbol for being tough.

No it's just disgust.

No I think we have enough assholes already thanks.    

Me too.  At least we agree on that. 

As for wingers, It's the same with left wingers.  Some of them, like me, are okay, but a lot of them really want to control what others do.  And say and think, most of the time.  Still, as long as there are those of us who are not arseholes, there is hope.

Edit>  Not much hope, now I think about it.  But hope, nonetheless.

Edited by bcsapper

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

As for wingers, It's the same with left wingers.  Some of them, like me, are okay, but a lot of them really want to control what others do.  And say and think, most of the time.  Still, as long as there are those of us who are not arseholes, there is hope.

Linking disgust at the proposal to use an animal quarantine site as a place to house humans with a leftist desire to exert control over people seems typically lame. I find it difficult to believe you don't understand why anyone would object to this idea.  Why on Earth the OP would think this proposal reflects badly on American left-wingers is just as stupid.  WTF are you guys trying to signal exactly, that you're not being assholes?

Sorry but its just not working.