PQ Leader landry resign

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Lol, nobody saw this comming, sure his leadership was contested but evryone tought landry would won with 80% his confidence vote.

Hmm, well now this will clearly be a crutial part for quebec political futur.

i cross my finger for Lucien bouchard to come back but i doubt it will happend, else i hope Gille duceppe will come wich is what evryone expect, he would be a good prime minister. Else, i guess i would vote for the adq :) , it depend but there are not many people that fit for the job i guess.

i cross my finger for Lucien bouchard to come back but i doubt it will happend

Have you noticed that political 'savoirs' always seem to go down in flames now a days. Charest, Martin ..... I suspect Bouchard knows this and will stay away while his reputation is still untarnished (at least in French Quebec).

i cross my finger for Lucien bouchard to come back but i doubt it will happend

Have you noticed that political 'savoirs' always seem to go down in flames now a days. Charest, Martin ..... I suspect Bouchard knows this and will stay away while his reputation is still untarnished (at least in French Quebec).

well i wouldn't be ready to say it always go down, paul martin has a better reputation than chretiens i think. But one thing is sure, once Bouchard left in quebec, evrything started to turn bad :D, either its because its the aftermath of his governance or the other politician did worst or a bit of both. I guess its a bit of both. But anyway, quebec need a right winger, we need to take down this costly healthcare system and repay our debt a bit.

But anyway, quebec need a right winger, we need to take down this costly healthcare system and repay our debt a bit.

My understanding is Charest tried to be a right winger but clobbered by political outrage from the students and unions. Would a PQ right wing leader be able to do any better?

But anyway, quebec need a right winger, we need to take down this costly healthcare system and repay our debt a bit.

My understanding is Charest tried to be a right winger but clobbered by political outrage from the students and unions. Would a PQ right wing leader be able to do any better?

Sorry i meant a skilled right winger :D, Jean Charest is making too many newbies mistake like declaring war to evry unions group and passing anti-union laws and making fun of them publicly. Now the unions are using evrything they can to destroy this government.

And many solution that he takes are weird and even his own ministers doesn't like his idea.

A sample, before the election he say education is the #2 priority then in power he cut 110 millions given to the poorest students instead of targeting the richer or at least the one that can spare a bit more money. Worst he make an apparition to the tv with a scorning pace, talking to the students like if they where baby.

Almost evrything he touch turn bad :/

-----------------------

The pq is a very complex party, there are right winger, left winger and centrist. The right wing pq has always been alot better accepted by the unions because of that. But the party seems very hard to handle when your a prime minster because of that. The PQ and their congres are know for ending like mess just like this congress right now. There are also the die hard sovreignist vs the soft sovreignist. The left vs the center vs the right and etc...

Sorry i meant a skilled right winger :D, Jean Charest is making too many newbies mistake like declaring war to evry unions group and passing anti-union laws and making fun of them publicly. Now the unions are using evrything they can to destroy this government.

Gordon Campbell in BC did the exact same thing. The unions declared war on him but he was still re-elected because voters understood the unions were just protecting their own self-interest and not the interest of the public.

I thought he was to confrontational but from the way you describe it sounds like Campbell was a diplomat compared to Charest.

Are you certain that Quebequers will accept cuts to the social safety net if they have the righht leadership?

Lol, nobody saw this comming, sure his leadership was contested but evryone tought landry would won with 80% his confidence vote.

Hmm, well now this will clearly be a crutial part for quebec political futur.

i cross my finger for Lucien bouchard to come back but i doubt it will happend, else i hope Gille duceppe will come wich is what evryone expect, he would be a good prime minister.

True, no one saw this coming. And Marois just recently said that she would not contest his leadership.

Landry said he was acting in the "national interest" and I think he's telling the truth. Landry is an honest politician who defends his point of view honourably. When I saw the report, I was immediately struck by Landry's behaviour and the behaviour of Liberals in Ottawa.

With age, Landry became presumptuous and somehow filled with his own importance. He no longer spoke, he pronounced. He wasn't like that when he was in Levesque's first cabinet.

I agree that everyone thinks Gilles Duceppe will be the next PQ leader.

Jean Charest is making too many newbies mistake.... Almost evrything he touch turn bad :/
So true. I think Charest is a good campaigner but a lousy administrator.

Gordon Campbell in BC did the exact same thing. The unions declared war on him but he was still re-elected because voters understood the unions were just protecting their own self-interest and not the interest of the public.

I thought he was to confrontational but from the way you describe it sounds like Campbell was a diplomat compared to Charest.

Are you certain that Quebequers will accept cuts to the social safety net if they have the righht leadership?

I don't think they would be happy but if handled carefully it wouldn't end up in a civil war like jean charest is doing.

A sample, rené levesque did cut the salary of 25% of the bureaucrats and it ended up not bad at all for such a drastic action. Lucien bouchard is an experienced negociator with the unions, his job right now is to deal with those conflict and find a solution.

When he was prime minister he brought evry important player in quebec to the negociation table including the unions and he managed to cut states spending enough to bring quebec to the "deficit zeros" wich mean in theory we have balanced budget with no deficit since that.

Many people blamed him for the fall of the healthcare system. he did major cut in healthcare thats why. Not long ago he was saying he was for a partial privatisation of healthcare.

Many people blamed him for the fall of the healthcare system. he did major cut in healthcare thats why. Not long ago he was saying he was for a partial privatisation of healthcare.

Quebec could do the rest of the country a big favour by publically opposing Canada Health Act provisions on private care. The Canada Health Act will be a huge sacred cow as long as Harper and Martin are engaged in a death match over Ontario (who knows when that will end).

If Quebec starts demanding a little 'asymmetrical' federalism on this point, I think it would be hard to avoid giving it to other provinces.

Lucien bouchard is an experienced negociator with the unions, his job right now is to deal with those conflict and find a solution.

When he was prime minister he brought evry important player in quebec to the negociation table including the unions and he managed to cut states spending enough to bring quebec to the "deficit zeros" wich mean in theory we have balanced budget with no deficit since that.

I thought Bouchard was a good PM and I was surprised when he resigned. I think he just got tired of being in the public eye, and with his leg, it must be difficult. I also wonder whether his wife influenced his decision. In any case, I think they are now separated.

I am reticent to get into personal anecdotes but I recall seeing Bouchard once in a coffee shop on the highway between Ottawa and Montreal. He was all alone, sitting at the counter, reading the paper and drinking a coffee. I later saw him get in his Saab and drive off. He struck me as a lonely man. I guess Mulroney still feels hurt by what happened between them.

Boy, this thread is going all over the map (or is it just me?)

Quebec could do the rest of the country a big favour by publically opposing Canada Health Act provisions on private care. The Canada Health Act will be a huge sacred cow as long as Harper and Martin are engaged in a death match over Ontario (who knows when that will end).

If Quebec starts demanding a little 'asymmetrical' federalism on this point, I think it would be hard to avoid giving it to other provinces.

I don't think private health care is the same issue in Quebec as in other provinces. Privatisation in Quebec often means hiring non-union workers, or removing job security. If it were possible to overcome these issues, I don't think people would oppose private health care. I think the PQ would have an easier time to make this change than the Liberals.

Lysiane Gagnon writes frequently about health issues, comparing favourably France's two-tier system to Quebec's.

Boy, this thread is going all over the map (or is it just me?)

I don't think private health care is the same issue in Quebec as in other provinces. Privatisation in Quebec often means hiring non-union workers, or removing job security. If it were possible to overcome these issues, I don't think people would oppose private health care. I think the PQ would have an easier time to make this change than the Liberals.

Lysiane Gagnon writes frequently about health issues, comparing favourably France's two-tier system to Quebec's.

Personally what i always tought is that we should let the the doctor do is weekly quota on a public list then once its over he could continue to practice medecine on a private list. To get on the private list, the patients would have to pay X% amount of the operation and salary cost.

That way the reform would be based on increasing the production instead of just transfering costly public healthcare to unproductive private healthcare.

As for quebec playing a role on fixing healthcare, im sure it will happend. Health care cost inflation is too strong... Its eating all the growth of our economy. Alberta already started but if quebec decide not to listen to ottawa on this case (it wouldn't be the first time), it would be a good start. I don't think we would be shy to do so.

I thought Bouchard was a good PM and I was surprised when he resigned. I think he just got tired of being in the public eye, and with his leg, it must be difficult. I also wonder whether his wife influenced his decision. In any case, I think they are now separated.

I am reticent to get into personal anecdotes but I recall seeing Bouchard once in a coffee shop on the highway between Ottawa and Montreal. He was all alone, sitting at the counter, reading the paper and drinking a coffee. I later saw him get in his Saab and drive off. He struck me as a lonely man. I guess Mulroney still feels hurt by what happened between them.

I think the best politician we have are the right winger that are fighting in a left party like he did. Why ? because they don't denigrate the left on evrything, they are able to see when a social program is efficient and when it isn't. A true right winger would say evry social program is bad.

I think he prolly left because of internal presure, the pq started being too hard to govern. He couldn't handle the presure of the left wing and the die hard sovreignist like yves michaud. the english media were attacking him very hard too. As for his personnal life, well it prolly played a role.

Quebec's own debt is close to $120 billion.
The PQ government is telling their people that they will have extra $billions if they separate from Canada, yet they are already heavily in debt, and that's without taking into consuderation the fact that they will have to assume approximately 25% of Canada's national debt, since they have close to 1/4 of the population within their borders. Where these $ billions will come from is a mystery since Quebec already collects, retains and administers their own Income Taxes, QPP, and EI funds. They presently get far more from Ottawa then they contribute, so is this magic money that is somehow going to materialize out of thin air?

Let's not forget the minute they separate Quebec MP's will not be at the table to negotiate a friendly departure package, since these people will no longer have any standing in Canada, and that will include many cabinet ministers, including Martin.

There will be a massive departure from Quebec of all federal entities, including the movement of military bases and equipment, not to speak of the private corporations who will also want nothing to do with Quebec as a country, let alone be saddled with the prospect of huge tax increase to service the debt-load of the new country of Quebec.

I just wish they would make up their minds to either stay or go. If they are going to stay it should be on exactly the same terms as the other Provinces, with no special deals or treatment. Quebce has been getting special treatment for so long that the other Provinces are now seeking special little deals as well, and that is not good for the country as a whole.

that's without taking into consuderation the fact that they will have to assume approximately 25% of Canada's national debt

Seperatists claim they only need to pay 17% because Quebec is entitled to 25% of the assets of the Canadian gov't. This argument is sophistry since most gov't assets are intangibles that are difficult to place a monetary value on. Haggling over the what is an asset and what is a fair value will take years.

In the meantime higher interest rates caused by the uncertainty will cause the debt to balloon. At that time, Canadians could ask Quebec for compensation for the higher interest rates. I think that would set a really good precedent for the world: ethnic groups that already enjoy complete democratic and cultural freedoms within an existing democratic state but still want to have their own state because of the nice 'fuzzy' feelings that go with it must pay for the cost of the break up.