Conservatives Tried To Bribe Cadman

Cadman says his decision came just before vote

When asked about rumours he was offered by Conservatives an unopposed nomination in exchange for his vote on the budget bills, Cadman admitted they were true.

"The discussions did come up," he admitted on CTV's COUNTDOWN with Mike Duffy later Thursday night. "The talk did come up, yeah."

Cadman said he refused, however.

"That was the only offer on anything that I had from anybody," he added, rebuffing suggestions he made a deal to throw his support behind the Liberals.

"There were no offers on that table up to that point, on anything from anybody."

This is just sickening!!! :ph34r:

Liberals. Ugh. I suspect that rich Ontario Liberal voters send their kids to UCC

this comment confirms your a bonified a-hole. I guess with comments like this it confirms many peoples views that the westerners are the ones who 'don't get it'.

Why don't you crawl out from under your rock troll and take a stroll across canada.

I have made a point to visit every province in canada to see and meet the people that make up this great country. Stop making stupid comments like that it serves no purpose but to make you look unintelligent... but of course you can go on beleiving whatever you want... just don't expect people to think much of you.

(spelling & grammer may be off... post written @ 1am)

At least it's not patronage. And it's not like the Liberals haven't done similar in the past.

Consider the 2000 federal election, where the PCs and Liberals made a deal to help each other in Alberta. The PCs ran the most clueless candidate they could find-- with no financial backing whatsoever-- against Anne McLellan, in exchange for a similar favor in Joe Clark's riding.

-k

So, the Conservatives set up an illegal wire tap, and then try to trick the liberals into making an offer to Grewal...and then they proceed to accuse the liberals of 'buying people'...then go onto to buy Chuck Cadman.

That's what I've never liked about the Conservatives: being 'principled' means actually being 'principled', not: saying that you are 'principled' and accusing everybody else of not being 'principled'.

Cadman says his decision came just before vote
When asked about rumours he was offered by Conservatives an unopposed nomination in exchange for his vote on the budget bills, Cadman admitted they were true.

This is just sickening!!! :ph34r:

It's laughable and pathetic. Cadman beat the tar out of the CPC nominee last time, and now the CPC think offering him an unopposed nomination this time is some kind of inducement. Hilarious.

So, the Conservatives set up an illegal wire tap, and then try to trick the liberals into making an offer to Grewal...and then they proceed to accuse the liberals of 'buying people'...then go onto to buy Chuck Cadman.

That's what I've never liked about the Conservatives:  being 'principled' means actually being 'principled', not: saying that you are 'principled' and accusing everybody else of not being 'principled'.

Wiretaps are not illegal if they are on a consenting participant's end.

Moe Sihota's taping of a cellphone conversation between two unaware parties was/should have been illegal.

Still, it just shows the character of the Reform party. Tape and decry the "corrupt" offer while making their own to Cadman.

The smart people have attained Belinda,this is justified by our win yesterday,and the fact that our leader can count,which he told you when explaining to you morons why Belinda's floor walk had nothing to do with the Layton budget vote.

Just admit it,we are the best at the political game.

From article posted above:

This is criminal? This is considered to be a bribe? This is on the same level as starting an RCMP investigation, leaking the information to the press and then offering to remove to stop the investigation?

This is the same as giving taxpayers money to firms who then return the money illegally to a political party?

Are you seriously equating the two activities?

[bTW, Harper also offered to help Cadman with his election campaign expenses. This thread has ignored that fact.]

The smart people have attained Belinda,this is justified by our win yesterday,and the fact that our leader can count,which he told you when explaining to you morons why Belinda's floor walk had nothing to do with the Layton budget vote.

Just admit it,we are the best at the political game.

That's about right. PM PM and his staff play hardball - really hard.

Trudeau could play hardball too, but he had a purpose in mind. Martin's political game serves no discernible purpose except his own ego.

If this battle of wills had been over some principle, then I would be impressed.

That's about right.  PM PM and his staff play hardball - really hard.

Trudeau could play hardball too, but he had a purpose in mind. Martin's political game serves no discernible purpose except his own ego.

If this battle of wills had been over some principle, then I would be impressed.

Good call, Martin is has destroyed any and all credability through his quick dismissal of any principles he seemed to have had.

On the original topic, we must remember that Cadman did run for the conservative nomination and lost, and therefore after winning a seat, there is nothing unusual or suspect for the tories to offer a spot after proving himself a better candidate in that riding.

If you think Harper's pitch to Cadman was sleazy and unethical you ain't seen nothing yet - just wait until all the details of the Grewal tape come to light.

Conservatives principled NOT.

This is really incredible what Grewal has tried to pull off to save himself from being investigated by the RCMP.

What 'principals' have harper enshrined?  He has clearly shown that he does not understand the principals behind the canadian charter... but i guess we shouldn't be to hard on him for that. Its not like he's running for prime minister or anything :P

I've yet to see any charter abuses by Harper. If we want to get into comparisions, you picked the wrong topic. The Liberals saying Inky Mark wasn't high enough in the gene pool for an ambassadorship. Martin ignoring the majority of the house in voting that they have no confidence in his leadership (and the majority did say so, I don't care if you can pull out a technicallity, the majority of Canadians said no more) until they bribed Belinda with a cabinet post.

Why Conservatives Should Thank Chuck Cadman

Of course the likelihood of this happening is very slim as the majority in the party is made up of old Alliance members, including all the extremist nut-bars who stopped Preston Manning at the Manitoba border. But old PC Conservatives in Ontario (of the Belinda Stronach school) must be looking at Stephen Harper and realizing that under his leadership they are doomed to lose. Even on the eve of the budget vote, the Liberals were suddenly back into a commanding 15 point lead in the province, according to an Ekos poll. If Conservative MPs have any sense they should be phoning Chuck Cadman and thanking him. Had there been election, Harper and his party would have been hammered in every part of the country except Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Just what would Harper have offered Canadians? His campaign, if he was honest, would have sounded something like this: "Vote for me. I just forced an election on the 65 percent of you who didn't want one. I just declared that the Gomery inquiry is irrelevant and so too is your desire to hear him out. I think spending $250 million on an unwanted election is not too high a price to pay for my ambition. And, oh yes, I voted for the old budget -- but explicitly opposed the NDP budget changes and more money for education, housing, child care, the environment and cities."

Way to go Stephen.

How refreshing it would be if our politicians were truly honest with Canadians!

Why Conservatives Should Thank Chuck Cadman
Of course the likelihood of this happening is very slim as the majority in the party is made up of old Alliance members, including all the extremist nut-bars who stopped Preston Manning at the Manitoba border. But old PC Conservatives in Ontario (of the Belinda Stronach school) must be looking at Stephen Harper and realizing that under his leadership they are doomed to lose. Even on the eve of the budget vote, the Liberals were suddenly back into a commanding 15 point lead in the province, according to an Ekos poll. If Conservative MPs have any sense they should be phoning Chuck Cadman and thanking him. Had there been election, Harper and his party would have been hammered in every part of the country except Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Just what would Harper have offered Canadians? His campaign, if he was honest, would have sounded something like this: "Vote for me. I just forced an election on the 65 percent of you who didn't want one. I just declared that the Gomery inquiry is irrelevant and so too is your desire to hear him out. I think spending $250 million on an unwanted election is not too high a price to pay for my ambition. And, oh yes, I voted for the old budget -- but explicitly opposed the NDP budget changes and more money for education, housing, child care, the environment and cities."

Way to go Stephen.

How refreshing it would be if our politicians were truly honest with Canadians!

You NDPers are funny with your money-grows-on-trees attitude.

You NDPers are funny with your money-grows-on-trees attitude.

It has be proven that NDP governments overall are the most fiscally responsible governments Canada has ever had.

Every year for the past how many is it now 6, 7 years we have had a much larger surplus than forecast by the government. so the reality is is that there is a huge surplus and the 4.6 billion dollars is a drop in the bucket in the overall scheme of things. And by investing in people now it will pay dividends down the road.