If the Liberals win the next Election...

I live in small town Alberta, and the results of years of Liberal Arrogance have taken their toll on people's hearts and minds. This is now compounded by blatant Liberal Corruption.

Westerners are mocked and derided by the Liberals at every turn.

Never before have I heard my friends and neighbours express more disgust and more dissatisfaction. Western Alienation is alive and well.

Given the things that I have heard at the coffee shop, the water cooler and such, I think that a Liberal victory would ignite a real fire of western separtism.

And before I get flamed for this observation, consider if your comments are going to add to Albertan's sense of marginalization. If so, then you are part of the problem.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the east,and the feelings of myself,family,friends and aquaintances are similiar to yours.You do not have to live west of the Ontario border to feel like there is no hope in this country as long as there is a liberal party ruling Canada.

Welcome Dan! Trust me you'll get plenty of inspiration for separation, on this forum. I hope the Libs win again for this reason alone, to light a fire under Alberta. And I too have heard the 'S' word from unlikely sources. Interestingly I was listening on the radio the other day to an "expert" who claimed that all Alberta Separation needed was a reputable leader and it'd be off an running.

Vive Alberta libre!!!

As a Liberal, I wish that things like this didn't happen. I wish that my leaders didn't alienate parts of the country. I know how you feel as well, when I hear Steven Harper call my fellow Atlantic Canadians and I a "Culture of Defeat" I think it's uncalled for and doesn't help anyone. I wish that we had a system that allowed all parts of the country to be represented whether they've got a voice on the government side of Parliament or not. The only problem I have with some "SOME" people from out West, especially Alberta is they seem to think they're better than everyone else. The same can be said for people from Ontario and Quebec. I think the sooner we all learn we're all in this together the better off we'll be.

Well said ScottBrison. We should learn to pull together no matter the party in power instead of letting politicians (of all parties) play the regionalism game; pitting Canadian against Canadian. This is a great country. The people just have to learn how to make it theirs and make it one.

I live in small town Alberta, and the results of years of Liberal Arrogance have taken their toll on people's hearts and minds.

Could you explain this a little bit? How have small town Abertans especially suffered?

Can you give us any examples?

And before I get flamed for this observation, consider if your comments are going to add to Albertan's sense of marginalization. If so, then you are part of the problem.

Sort of a self-flfilling prophecy, eh?

I'd buy into defending Canada in the event of such an action... Luckily its a very small minority (so small I have a hard time even calling it that) that thinks along such lines Bro... anyway... Rant on. ;)

Anyways,I think it is in very recent history the PQ and the bloc were formed,some would say a minority at the time.So I guess if it doesn't happen in your lifetime,it is allright to promote another seperatist cause in Canada by voting liberal.You are one fine Canadian{traitor}.Good on you.

I live in small town Alberta, and the results of years of Liberal Arrogance have taken their toll on people's hearts and minds.

I lived in medium sized town Alberta for 25 years, and the results of Conservative propaganda have taken their toll on people's hearts and minds.

This is now compounded by blatant Liberal Corruption.

This is now compounded by blatant Conservative oppurtunism.

Liberals are mocked and derided by a small, but incredibly shrill, set of Conservative Albertans at every turn.

Never before have I heard my friends and neighbours express more disgust and more dissatisfaction.

Never before have I been so disgusted and dissatisfied with my fellow Albertans.

Western Alienation is alive and well.

Alas, herpes is also alive and well.

Given the things that I have heard at the coffee shop, the water cooler and such, I think that a Liberal victory would ignite a real fire of western separtism.

Given the things that I have heard at the coffee shop, the water cooler and such, I thank that a Conservative majority would just force these people to find something new to hate, which would just piss them off even more.

And before I get flamed for this observation, consider that almost half of Albertans largely agree with me.

Well said ScottBrison. We should learn to pull together no matter the party in power instead of letting politicians (of all parties) play the regionalism game; pitting Canadian against Canadian. This is a great country. The people just have to learn how to make it theirs and make it one.

I feel tingly all over. Let's sing koombya together and that'll make all the theft, lying, and bigotry go away.

I'd buy into defending Canada in the event of such an action...

LOL I'm so sure. Maybe France will come help you out too. :lol:

BTW, Alberta isn't allowed to separate.

For some reason I hear this with a Russian/ Stalinist accent or maybe a German Nazi accent :huh: NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

Could you explain this a little bit? How have small town Abertans especially suffered?

Let's start with the abhorant display of diplomacy by the Liberals in the case of mad cow. (Oh ya Belinda.ca spearheaded that lawsuit in the states, because according to her the Liberals weren't doing anything.)

There isn't enough bandwidth to list all the examples. Let's start with the most loved Prime Minister of all time giving the West the finger. And how about his lovely little slogan "SCREW THE WEST WE'LL TAKE THE REST". Then there's Chretien's little inside comment when discussing the effects of Kyoto: "Why should I do anything for them (the West), they never vote for me anyway." Or how about the '97 commentary on Parliament Hill painting Albertans as racist. Or how about Ian Hanimansing declaring how difficult it would be to live in Calgary as an interracial couple. Or how about the constant name calling by elites in Ontario calling us "rednecks" or "hillbillies". Or just look over at some of the current threads on this forum. The face that you even try to deny this is laughable.

I feel tingly all over. Let's sing koombya together and that'll make all the theft, lying, and bigotry go away.

Oh, and complaining about it has done a real good job too.

That seems to be the Conservative's solution for everything, just like a spoiled brat of a child, just keep complaining until they get their way.

I love their solution though, "instead of working together, just let all of us have the power now so we can be happy and the rest of you can be miserable."

I'm not saying what has been done in the past was right, but arguing about it is going to solve exactly 0.0% of it. Bah.... never mind, I don't know why I bother.

I don't see what the big deal is.

It will pretty much be the status quo, with a small swing of seats one way or the other. Even if the Liberals do win, it will be another minority, which may be the pattern for a long time. Then we will do it all again a few months later, and the CPC may form a minority, assuming they don't win the next one.

No matter what happens, Alberta will feel like it's being shafted no matter who wins, because unfortunately, the feds are the feds, no matter who's in. Same goes for Quebec, and every other province for that matter.

...Let's start with the most loved Prime Minister of all time giving the West the finger.

You just can't speak a straight word, can you? Trudeau gave the finger to a bunch of protesters, not 'the west'.

And how about his lovely little slogan "SCREW THE WEST WE'LL TAKE THE REST".

Who's slogan is that?

Then there's Chretien's little inside comment when discussing the effects of Kyoto:  "Why should I do anything for them (the West), they never vote for me anyway."

That isn't mockery or derision. It's cold calculation, and inappropriate, but not mockery or derision.

Or how about the '97 commentary on Parliament Hill painting Albertans as racist.

??

A decent example requires both a 'who' and a reasonably specific 'what they said or did' part.

Or how about Ian Hanimansing declaring how difficult it would be to live in Calgary as an interracial couple. 

Hanimansing is a westerner himself. You want to blame Ontario for the opinions of westerners too?

Or how about the constant name calling by elites in Ontario calling us "rednecks" or "hillbillies".

Actually, that is in your imagination. People in Ontario just don't think about 'the west' so often as to have a set view.

Or just look over at some of the current threads on this forum. 

Yes? EXAMPLES please?

So far I conclude that the claim that 'westerners' are the subject of mockery or derision is laughable.

There isn't enough bandwidth to list all the examples. Let's start with the most loved Prime Minister of all time giving the West the finger. And how about his lovely little slogan "SCREW THE WEST WE'LL TAKE THE REST". Then there's Chretien's little inside comment when discussing the effects of Kyoto: "Why should I do anything for them (the West), they never vote for me anyway." Or how about the '97 commentary on Parliament Hill painting Albertans as racist. Or how about Ian Hanimansing declaring how difficult it would be to live in Calgary as an interracial couple. Or how about the constant name calling by elites in Ontario calling us "rednecks" or "hillbillies". Or just look over at some of the current threads on this forum. The face that you even try to deny this is laughable.

What no response? I expected at least some sort of cavillous response to deflect the issue.

Oh, and complaining about it has done a real good job too.

That seems to be the Conservative's solution for everything, just like a spoiled brat of a child, just keep complaining until they get their way.

I love their solution though, "instead of working together, just let all of us have the power now so we can be happy and the rest of you can be miserable."

I'm not saying what has been done in the past was right, but arguing about it is going to solve exactly 0.0% of it. Bah.... never mind, I don't know why I bother.

In other words: "bend over and take what we give you". That always seems to be the response from Ontario. It reminds me of Ford and GMC's business plan in the 80's and 90's: basically, 'buy what we want you to buy, our big, unreliable, gas guzzleing vehicles.' It hasn't worked too well for them. Similarly Alberta and Quebec isn't buying what you Ontario Libs are selling, or should I say ramming down our throats.

No matter what happens, Alberta will feel like it's being shafted no matter who wins, because unfortunately, the feds are the feds, no matter who's in. Same goes for Quebec, and every other province for that matter.

True, confederation does not work. It's an impossible situation. The sooner Canadians realize this, the better off we'll all be.

I live in small town Alberta, and the results of years of Liberal Arrogance have taken their toll on people's hearts and minds. This is now compounded by blatant Liberal Corruption.

Never before have I heard my friends and neighbours express more disgust and more dissatisfaction. Western Alienation is alive and well.

I'd like to talk about this:

1. Small town Alberta: Years of Liberal Arrogance.

I live in big city Alberta, and I've dealt with years of Conservative Arrogance.

For instance, AISH (It's DISGUSTING how we treat our handicapped in this province, just DISGUSTING!), neglect of gang warfare, neglect of infrastructure, neglect of post secondary education, a media that pays ZERO attention to any of these issues, and turns a blind eye to Tory corruption and fans the flames of hatred towards anybody who isn't a Tory, little though making fun of homosexuals when you don't think that one is in the room.

Urban issues have been systematicaly neglected by the Conservative government.

So, you're mad that the country doesn't have a government just like Kleins?

I'm a pretty right wing person compared to people out East, and I don't want what you want....the domination of Canada by the Rural Alberta special interest.

2. "Westerners are mocked"

Liberals are mocked in Alberta -- and systematically so. That doesn't make either action right...but I'd like to see more respect paid to Alberta's political minorities and for Westerner's in general.

3. "Western Seperatism"

How patriotic.

I'm a Canadian First. My family has fought for this country. I will continue to put country ahead of province.

Does rural Alberta have a voice?

Yes.

Does it matter?

Yes. (manning drove the agenda for a long time.)

Does it deserve to dominate the country?

NO.

30 million of us live in this country too.

what makes evey one think that the Conservatives will do any better.They scewed

up Ontario.The put in the GST Free trade works for the USA but not for us.Remember the Arrow

I couldn't agree more. We had 8(maybe more) years of western style conservative rule by the harris governemnt. They showed ontarions the style of governemnt the albertan conservatives are pushing for. Harris & cronies F'd things up so bad in this province its no wonder Ontarions largely reject what the albertan conservatives want. The 'alberta model' doesn't work for the rest of canada because we aren't fortunate enough to be sitting on an orgy of oil wealth. We have to work and be taxed in order for our governemnts to pay for the services we want. We pay 15% sales tax + income and all other federal & provincial and municipal taxes and we don't bitch about it. YOU PAY what a measly 7%.

Ontario is not marginalizing the rest of canada in fact we FUND most of canada. Just look at how much ontario pays to the federal government in tax dollars and see how little we get in return.

The funny thing is WE recognize how important canada is as a whole. Ohh and about the BSE thing... wtf are you pissed at the canadian governemnt for? You should be pissed off @ dubya & his protectionist cronies. The current liberal government has to work within the NAFTA agreement which was implimented by ohh yeah CONSERVATIVES!!! :o Next your going to be claiming that BSE was a crisis invented by those ontarion bastards to bring the west to its knees.

Civil war...? Are you Fing kidding me..? :angry: Are you saying you are soo fed up that you would be willing to kill another person over your professed aleination? If so you should check yourself into a mental hospital as you have clearly reached a state of lunacy. Ohhh wait the Klein gov't shut down most of alberta's mental health programs. I guess you will just have to become another looney roaming the streets.

Civil war :( man you are f'd up