CON servatives Paid 105,000 For One E-MAIL

The $105,000 e-mail

Filed under: Corruption & Scandal — Hugo Chesshire @ March 24, 2004

Another day, another scandal. Michael Gourley, a senior PC insider, was paid $105,000 by Hydro One for work that seems to amount to one brief and partially incoherent e-mail sent to Hydro One president Eleanor Clitheroe in 2002. Gourley declined to comment when questioned by the Globe and Mail.

Other consultants include Paul Rhodes, the communications director for the PC election campaign with no utility experience at all, who received $335,237 for 81 pages of work; Tom Long, a senior PC strategist whose associated firms received $1.3m and whose contribution amounted to a single memo; and Leslie Noble, co-chair of the PC election campaign, who made two slide presentations, a three-page e-mail and edited a three-page memo by the aforementioned Paul Rhodes for $250,000.

So you wanna talk corruption? :rolleyes:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(shouldn't this be in the "Provincial politics" area? It appears to be strictly Ontario stuff.)

Sorry you're probably right but the Ontario Liberals are oft pointed out as being the same as the Federal Liberals so I used this message in the same sort of way.

If a Liberal is a Liberal surely a Conservative is a Conservative wether he is federal or provincial. :rolleyes:

Cageratler you getting anything back for all that liberal faithfullness ?

Down here where i live they gave one liberal supporter our town warfe where 70-80 fishing boats lay for nothing , Then they gave him 3,000,000 dollars to repair the warfe and keep it up (Which he Pocketed ).

He never paid a cent in upkeep just put some money back in liberal campain contrabutions .

He then raised warfage through the warfe and collected 200,000 or so in warfage a year not putting a cent back in .Then he even started chargeing Fuel trucks and welding trucks that was driveing on our warfe to service fishing boats . Some had to stop coming to our warfe as fees was so high .

Now the warfe is falling down and our town got no place to lay its fishing fleet if it does . And the friendly liberal wants to sell the warfe back to the fisherman for 7,000,000 (well i guess he put his price down to 4.5) or else he says he is selling our warfe to the Chinese .

I guess he kind of turned on the liberals after it went public , would not even let a liberal cabinet minister on his warfe . Or maybe that was just a Show .

Surely as good of a Liberal supporter as you are you should be getting some kind of a deal ? If your not maybe you should be putting in a complaint in to Mr. Martin . You got to get in the IN crowd Of real Liberal party supporters .

If a Liberal is a Liberal surely a Conservative is a Conservative wether he is federal or provincial. 

Nope; not in BC where our provincial Liberal government are right wing conservatives.

Digby back up your story. A liberal supporter is not the resposibility of the Liberal party. Anyone is free to support whichever party he chooses. Your story is a little too vague.

Surely as good of a Liberal supporter as you are you should be getting some kind of a deal ?

First you think a Liberal supporter somehow has some say in the way the Liberals run the government.

This is totally wrong. And number 2 you provided no proof for your story.

Why do you insist on painting all Liberals with the same brush.

Peter MacKay is a proven liar for example but that doen't make all Conservatives liars! Just a lot of them from what I've seen on some of these forums like this one.

Mulroney!!!! I do not forget Mulroney!!!! ;)

No Proof of my story ?

Just put DIGBY WARFE into a search engine .

There is a News paper in Nova scotia called the Cronicle Herald. Back a month or more ago they had Story after story about this . Inclueding One front page Article that told the whole Story ,inclueding nameing the liberal MP that got the campain money in return.

This Same Fello i Heard a rumer Of was making trips back to the IRVINGS cottage too .

If your Going to be A liberal you really should get in there and get something in return ! :)

PRICE LOWERED FOR DIGBY WHARF: The owners of the Digby wharf have lowered their asking price by $3 million in an effort to find a buyer. The non-profit group Maritime Harbours Society is now hoping to sell the wharf for $4.9 million. Ottawa gave the wharf and $3.07 million to the society in 1999 under a controversial privatization deal. However, the society gave that money to private companies in untendered contracts, and the companies put the society's directors on the payroll. Fishermen now say the wharf is becoming unsafe. CHRONICLE-HERALD Link current at 8:47 a.m. AST

http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/...eywharf20040712

Like others in the community, we’re curious to see what may be revealed in The Chronicle-Herald’s three-part series on the Digby wharf. Sunday’s first installment, which is as far as we got before having to finish this week’s issue, setting the historical framework, and largely rehashed the federal government’s 1999 gift of wharf and millions of taxpayer dollars to the Maritime Harbour Society.

We hope the Herald has some success in following the money, since there’s never been any satisfactory answer to what happened to the more than $3 million blithely turned over by Ottawa.

The federal Liberals have developed the shoulder shrug to a fine art, but for Atlantic Canadians it has been especially galling to see Ottawa carrying out its program of fishing community abandonment as if people here don’t matter. Ignoring a constitutional and traditional commitment to the country’s fisheries, the Canadian government has been divesting itself of wharves in small coastal communities and, in the process, is stripping them of their future.

It’s not enough to say, as Ottawa has, that it is handing over ownership of most wharves (Digby is an obvious exception) to harbour authorities, which would act in the best interest of the community.

Harbour authorities can succeed only with continuing government support, and that’s in short supply. Wharves were never meant to be paid for solely by users, any more than those highways that lead to Ottawa are paid for just by the people living and working there.

Taxpayers pay for roads they’ll never see or use because the infrastructure of roads is essential to the country. Our wharves are also essential items of infrastructure, unless Canadians want to buy all their fish from passing Japanese and Portuguese factory ships.

A few weeks ago, the Coastal Communities Network held a conference in Eastern Passage to discuss the condition of harbours and wharves. Concerned citizens and representatives from coastal organizations, including harbour authorities, tourism, yachting, and non-profit wharf associations, said the key issue is lack of funding, and lack of resources.

Harbour authorities were created by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in 1987 as a way for local communities to manage with less federal resources, but the authorities must pay daily maintenance bills such as power, snow and garbage removal and minor repairs through berthing fees or other revenue they create.

Many of the local authorities are not managing well, are under-funded and are ill-equipped to deal with management and maintenance issues. According to the Coastal Community Network, 21 per cent of Nova Scotia’s most active harbours register substandard performance ratings. Volunteer burnout and turnover is a common result.

So, when the Digby wharf inevitably falls into local hands — and is any other solution acceptable? — the federal government must ensure a continuing level of support that lives up to its responsibilities to a still viable coastal community.

Digby’s wharf, and its odd ownership by the Maritime Harbours Society, has focused national attention on Ottawa’s divestiture program. If it also caused some reconsideration of the way the program is managed, and its damage to small Canadian communities, then the $3 million would be money well spent.

As the Coastal Communities Network notes so succinctly, “Without wharves, people cannot fish.” Our wharves are the highways fishermen use to get to work and they bring substantial dollars to the Nova Scotian economy. Fish and other ocean-related products make up 20 per cent of Nova Scotia’s exports.

In 2002 over $1.2 billion dollars was gained through the export of fish. Canada’s Ocean Playground draws another $1 billion annually in tourist dollars and most tourism organizations know that people come to see our coastal villages.

– J DM

I just wish i could find the 3 part story the cronicle herald did , it would make even a liberal goverment suporter sick .

It traces the money alot right back into liberals pockets .

Also there is an other wharf in our area that was built for fishermen that was given to the Irvings as a gift Weymouth Wharf. Now fishermen are not allowed to take their boats near it , if they do they are ordered to leave it . Maybe that is why they been hanging around the Irvings Cottage .

well I agree the Muroney goverment was corrupt also i swore back then i would never vote conservative again .

But Even Crooked Muroney had nothing on this present bunch of liberals , They got to be one of the Worlds most corrupt crooked goverments ever put together .

Im actually starting to hate the word liberal now days , maybe harper and gang will be just as bad . All we can do is hope they are not .

But its a Fact that the liberals are corrupt , and also a fact that they will rub it in your face .

We got a forsale sign On our warfe , They want us fisherman to give them 4.9 million dollars out of our pockets , OR ELSE THEY SAY THEY ARE GOING TO SELL OUR WHARF TO THE CHINESE!!!!. That wharf was bought with our tax dollars .

Hey welcome to Liberal land, where we the sell everthing out from under you.

The Libs don't give two flying sh*ts about you and your wharf, Digs. We are not big enough to care, not enough votes down this way.

All they care about is selling this country out to the lowest bidder and not caring about the people of this fine country we have built (John A. was a con. good for him).

If we all want change, we gotta vote them out. The people in Ontario should get up out of their Adarondaks and screw their heads on and see whats happening.

Conservative #1: Hold people accountable! (WOW! Amzing theory....maybe we should pass it on to the Liberals...naa they'd probably loose it just like the $ billion....)

Yheee, Hawwww, the liberals are here. <_<

I wish you would return to the subject of this thread re: Conservative corruption.

Actually, the subject was Ontario PC corruption, which is off topic in this forum. If you'd really like to talk about Hydro One and the Ontario PCs, the Provincial Forum is the place to do it.

As for the Digby wharf, Global did a feature on it last week. A few minutes Googling will quickly confirm most of what Digby says. The Global story asked someone for the government what was done with the $3 million grant for upgrades, and the government itself didn't know.

However, I have not yet seen anything to support the claim that the "Maritime Harbour Society" group to whom the wharf was given has ties to the Liberals.

-kimmy

well I agree the Muroney goverment was corrupt also i swore back then i would never vote conservative again .

But Even Crooked Muroney had nothing on this present bunch of liberals , They got to be one of the Worlds most corrupt crooked goverments ever put together .

Ya gotta be kidding! Mulroney let a wealthy Quebec family take over 2 billion out of the country without paying the taxes on it. That cost us 600 million in unpaid taxes.

HELLO that is 6 times more than this overblown ad scandal has cost us.

Beware of a lying CON servative my friend! :angry:

Kimmy In the Chronicle Herald they did 3 articles back to back telling the whole story of who Got the money and who exactly was involved .

One of the main Guys involved had been Giveing large Campain contributions to Robert Thebeau the MP responsible for this rideing and he at the Time was the minister of Fisheries .

If you can find the 3 articles the Chronicle herald did you will find the link .

You know the fishermen wanted to take over the wharf ,but was never told a thing about 3,000,000 dollars to be given out to fix up the wharf . The 3,000,000 was kept Secret from the Fisherman and also the town .Who both would of taken over the wharf if they knew money for repairs went with it .

None of the 3,000,000 went to repairs .now the wharf is hardly safe and it houses the world famous digby Scallop fleet .

As if 3,000,000 tax dollars wasn't enough to steal , now they are trying to force Us fishermen to Buy the Wharf from them for 4.9 million .

The guy giving Robert Thebeau the money is not from this area , Does it not stink that a guy not from this area is giving a liberal money and in return he gets much riches.

Its one thing to give our wharf away (and 3,000,000)

But they even gave our fish away ! Not only have we got to buy our Wharf back , We have to pay for our fish before we go fishing .

How many of you folks , would be happy with liberal goverment if you was in my shoes ?

You should try running your business being forced to give half of all revenue away before any thing else can be paid .

I really Wish Ontario would open their eyes and see whats going on in this country .