US Alaska oil drilling plan "big mistake" - Canada

US Alaska oil drilling plan "big mistake" - Canada

10 Mar 2005 21:39:07 GMT

OTTAWA, March 10 (Reuters) - Canada said on Thursday that a U.S. plan to drill for oil in an Alaskan wildlife refuge was "a big mistake" and vowed to keep pressuring Washington to scrap the idea.

Ottawa says drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) in northeast Alaska would ruin the calving ground of the Porcupine caribou herd, on which native Gwich'in Indians in Alaska and Canada have depended on for thousands of years.

snip

"We think it's a big mistake and we will continue to pressure (Washington) so that it should not happen," Canada's environment minister, Stephane Dion, told Reuters.

Ottawa, which says both countries should provide permanent protection for wildlife populations that straddle the border, has banned development in areas frequented by the Porcupine herd on the Canadian side of the border.

"We must be sure the caribou are protected. It's a very frail ecosystem there. I'll meet my (U.S.) counterpart pretty soon and will continue to look at that very carefully," Dion said.

read reast

Geez, more anti-Americanisn. :)

edit to add [/sarcasm] tag

It's Bush and his non-concern about the environment. He doesn't care as long as the oil keeps rollin' in. That kills two birds ... it keeps the consumers happy and his big business buddies will continue to reap profits. It's only those liberal environmentalists that don't like it much and nobody much listens to liberal anything down there right now.

Anything for a buck no matter what the damage is eh.

Everything from building a home, to driving a car, to building a steel mill, or an auto plant has an environmental impact. It is hypocracy when Canadians desecrate the beauty of Niagara Falls with honky tonk hotels, change the weather patterns around the falls, and then bitch about development at the Artic Circle. What else is new?

Niagra Falls and many many other environmental problems are done deals; before we knew better or anyone cared. Do we have to continue our mistakes of the past; cannot we learn. This oil drilling in Alaska may endanger an animal species and hurt the native tribes that depend on these herds for their food.

That does not mean that we should not endeavor to clean up and protect areas like the Niagra falls

I love it. It's the same lecturing that comes from those who denounce the US for it's ties to countries like Saudi Arabia. So Bush wants to quit relying on foreign oil but alas that is evil too. But wait he invaded Iraq for oil so he must want middle eastern oil still? Must be Cheney wanting to help his friends at Halliburton :rolleyes: .

Ottawa says drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) in northeast Alaska would ruin the calving ground of the Porcupine caribou herd, on which native Gwich'in Indians in Alaska and Canada have depended on for thousands of years.

Ottawa makes all kinds of claims that are nothing but nonsense.

Does anyone really think that washington will listen to that collection of communists in ottawa operating under the guise of treehugger. Not a chance.

Does anyone really think that washington will listen to that collection of communists in ottawa operating under the guise of treehugger. Not a chance.

I think most people here are very unlikely to think that Washington will listen to anyone, communist or not.

If you've bothered to read and digest very many posts on this forum, you may understand that this is the basis of most criticism of the US.

I think most people here are very unlikely to think that Washington will listen to anyone, communist or not.

If you've bothered to read and digest very many posts on this forum, you may understand that this is the basis of most criticism of the US.

I am an American. I disagree with the US lecturing other nations on human rights, and democratic governance, all be it for a good purpose. In the same way I think it presumptuous for any nation to lecture the US on its responsability to act in concert with some hypothetical 'world view'. Usually, upon just a little investigation, the lecturer is nothing more than a hypocrit.

Does anyone really think that washington will listen to that collection of communists in ottawa operating under the guise of treehugger.

What I do not understand is a statement like this coming from a Canadian. If there is so much disagreement with the political makeup of the country, where is the opposition party? I get the impression that there is no strong two party system in Canada. Canadian and Russian politics seem pretty similar to me.

Niagra Falls and many many other environmental problems are done deals; before we knew better or anyone cared. Do we have to continue our mistakes of the past; cannot we learn. This oil drilling in Alaska may endanger an animal species and hurt the native tribes that depend on these herds for their food.

That does not mean that we should not endeavor to clean up and protect areas like the Niagra falls

I guess then, after translation, that you agree that the Canadian government is hypocritical in its views on 'development'. Honky Tonk Niagara Falls, but pristine Artic Circle?

In the same way I think it presumptuous for any nation to lecture the US on its responsability to act in concert with some hypothetical 'world view'. Usually, upon just a little investigation, the lecturer is nothing more than a hypocrit.

In this case, Canada's concern is because they share this area that would be affected.

No, it is a matter of money. The US has a terrible trade defecit, much of it oil imports, and China. It is simple math. The US has been too accomodating with imports, and something will have to give.

Perhaps in the USA government would quit interfering in other countries business and trade fairly according to signed agreements; people would buy more USA goods. I try not to buy any USA goods now and will continue to boycott American goods until the start trading within the agreements. BUY CANADIAN or at least from countries that follow the international trade agreements.

In the same way I think it presumptuous for any nation to lecture the US on its responsability to act in concert with some hypothetical 'world view'. Usually, upon just a little investigation, the lecturer is nothing more than a hypocrit.

In this case, Canada's concern is because they share this area that would be affected.

They don't share that area at all. The US owns it outright. Canada has no business telling the americans jack shit what to do with it. Most especially with a silly excuse like this.

Does anyone really think that washington will listen to that collection of communists in ottawa operating under the guise of treehugger.

What I do not understand is a statement like this coming from a Canadian. If there is so much disagreement with the political makeup of the country, where is the opposition party? I get the impression that there is no strong two party system in Canada. Canadian and Russian politics seem pretty similar to me.

I have no use for the eastern central government. I'm an albertan first. Alberta is oil country, and we here are well aware of how the eastern tyrants operate.

They don't share that area at all. The US owns it outright. Canada has no business telling the americans jack shit what to do with it. Most especially with a silly excuse like this.

I suppose some people were just raised to realize that their actions had repercussions on those around them. And some were just raised to be ignorant. <shrug>

I suppose you think that since I own my fist outright, you have no business telling me what (or what not) to do with it?

Perhaps in the USA government would quit interfering in other countries business and trade fairly according to signed agreements; people would buy more USA goods.  I try not to buy any USA goods now and will continue to boycott American goods until the start trading within the agreements.  BUY CANADIAN or at least from countries that follow the international trade agreements.

Canada had a 6 BILLION dollar trade surplus last MONTH with the US. That was equal to the trade defecit the US had with Japan, whose people also have a buy Japan policy.

I noticed that you did not address the hypocracy of Canada's honky tonk Niagara Falls, Canada, which by the way is also a 'shared' area.

Your user name 'caesar' reminds me of an old know it all who was so well liked that everyone took a shot at poking him.

I suppose some people were just raised to realize that their actions had repercussions on those around them. And some were just raised to be ignorant. <shrug>

I suppose you think that since I own my fist outright, you have no business telling me what (or what not) to do with it?

I could care less what you do with it. Perhaps like your mentor who you seem to miss, i suspect a one finger salute would be the best you could muster. I assure you, that you seize without right, any knowledge of fact as to what the repercussions are in these matters.

I have no use for the eastern central government. I'm an albertan first. Alberta is oil country, and we here are well aware of how the eastern tyrants operate.

We have our eastern tyrants also, and they were defeated in the last election. Unfortunately in Canada, your eastern tyrants own the place.

They like to think they do. Change in alberta happens very slow, but when it happens it happens real fast. What we will show them is, that all they really own is the debt that they run up placating quebec.