The Kryptonite of Justin Trudeau

On 7/25/2018 at 2:43 PM, Argus said:

I think Trudeau senior and Mulroney were pretty alpha male. For that matter, the opposition liked to portray Stephen Harper as Darth Vader. That kinda suggests they thought he was alpha maleish.

I would put Chrétien in there too, not a smoothie like Brian or an intellectual like Pierre but tough and intimidating when he needed to be. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

4 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

I would put Chrétien in there too, not a smoothie like Brian or an intellectual like Pierre but tough and intimidating when he needed to be. 

Agreed - sort of.

I met/saw/worked with Chretien on several occasions, in different places, different circumstances - Canada/abroad. He loved the crowd, and the crowd loved him. But he was no fool. Tough bastard. Remarkable politician.

Mulroney, worked with him. As they say in English, "glad hander". (Yet, I liked him.) 

Pierre Trudeau (Trudeau Snr)?  I met him several times. Scary, laser smart. My greater memory is meeting his compatriot: Jacques Hébert in the late 1980s at the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal. (He decided I was anglo....)

Anyway...

=========

As Lucien Bouchard famously said about political life, for every person in your office, there are 1000 others too shy/afraid to be there.

Or as Peter Lougheed  famously said about political life, a day in politics is nothing like a day anywhere else.

===================

Bottom line: A successful politician must say "No" sometimes and Justin Trudeau cannot say "No" to anyone.

Edited by August1991

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 7:41 PM, OftenWrong said:

He is the Devil incarnate.

Justin Trudeau is not the Devil incarnate - but this forum software is forcing me to reply to OftenWrong.

======

It is easy to say yes. Smart politicians know how to say no.

Trump has learned how to do this.

Trudeau Jnr hasn't.

Edited by August1991

8 hours ago, August1991 said:

Trump has learned how to do this

Do you really think so ?  Did you hear his shit-eating and lying call to his fellow sideshow reality freak Omorosa, wherein he grovels and then scarpers off.  Any principled man or non-weasel could just say 'no' and fire her.  

Even worse he TWEETED that he wanted to keep her on staff because she fawned and complimented him !  Trump says no via intermediaries and he flip flops.

On 8/14/2018 at 7:28 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Do you really think so ?  Did you hear his shit-eating and lying call to his fellow sideshow reality freak Omorosa, wherein he grovels and then scarpers off.  Any principled man or non-weasel could just say 'no' and fire her.  

Even worse he TWEETED that he wanted to keep her on staff because she fawned and complimented him !  Trump says no via intermediaries and he flip flops.

According to CNN....

Welcome to the world of a politician who says No.

======

And Justin Trudeau never says No.

PS. Michael, note above my quote of Bouchard. Mulroney was amazing at saying "No". Chretien invariably said yes. Harper is hated now - he said "No" without any finesse.

Trudeau Snr? He said "No" several times but somehow succeeded.

Edited by August1991

Here's an example of Trudeau Snr (retired at the time) smartly saying "No" in English, while knowing full well that his words would be translated. Trust me, he was speaking in both French and English when he said these words. He understood this country:

Edited by August1991

7 hours ago, August1991 said:

1. According to CNN....

2. And Justin Trudeau never says No.

PS. Michael, note above my quote of Bouchard. Mulroney was amazing at saying "No". Chretien invariably said yes. Harper is hated now - he said "No" without any finesse.

Trudeau Snr? He said "No" several times but somehow succeeded.

1.  Really ?  You didn't bother to listen to the TAPE of his VOICE I take it.  :(

2. I am not arguing your thesis so much.  It actually makes sense to me.

Sorry, Michael.

Justin Trudeau has his father's family name, and inherited the eye colour of his mother/father - that's all.

There is no other reason that he would ever be elected in Papineau, selected as federal Liberal leader, become our PM.

John Quincy Adams, he ain't. Pitt the Younger less. He' s not even a Brett Hull.

======

I reckon Justin is a Chelsea Clinton. And trust me, his French is irritating/bad. (I'm surprised for a guy that went to Brébeuf.)

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

Sorry, Michael.

Justin Trudeau has his father's family name, and inherited the eye colour of his mother/father - that's all.

There is no other reason that he would ever be elected in Papineau, selected as federal Liberal leader, become our PM.

John Quincy Adams, he ain't. Pitt the Younger less. He' s not even a Brett Hull.

======

I reckon Justin is a Chelsea Clinton. And trust me, his French is irritating/bad. (I'm surprised for a guy that went to Brébeuf.)

I will reiterate: a true 'conservative' to me is marked by principled behaviour.  That's the kind of conservative I like to converse with.  Your idea that Trump says 'no' has been roundly swatted by me with his shit-eating gushy conversation with Omorosa - caught on TAPE.  The fact that you refuse to admit what your own ears tells you means you are more of a neocon than I thought I suppose.

I already said I agreed with you on Trudeau, so rather than reiterate the part you were right on (that I agreed with) why not acknowledge my point ?  Does it sully your ego to do so ?

On 8/18/2018 at 9:59 AM, Michael Hardner said:

I will reiterate: a true 'conservative' to me is marked by principled behaviour.  That's the kind of conservative I like to converse with.  Your idea that Trump says 'no' has been roundly swatted by me with his shit-eating gushy conversation with Omorosa - caught on TAPE.  The fact that you refuse to admit what your own ears tells you means you are more of a neocon than I thought I suppose.

''''

Once upon a time, we had people like "Churchill/Truman/Trudeau Snr - even Mulroney" who could smartly say "No".

Nowadays, we have nobody capable of saying "No" smartly.

So instead, many people vote for people like Trump - who badly says "No".

Edited by August1991

18 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Once upon a time, we had people like "Churchill/Truman/Trudeau Snr - even Mulroney" who could smartly say "No".

Nowadays, we have nobody capable of saying "No" smartly.

So instead, many people vote for people like Trump - who badly says "No".

13 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Uh, Michael. Are you accusing of me of not being a "true conservative"?

According to my older brother-in-law (on my side - true story), I'm a leftist radical.

According to my sister-in-law (on my wife's side - less true story, but close), I'm a right-wing whacko.

Edited by August1991

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. I'm postulating it.

2. That's not nice.

1. I was once a "leftist/revolutionary/progressive". Now, I'm a "cautious/conservative/evidence-based" person.

2. Institutions matter - Family in particular. Even Barack Obama explained why his grandparents helped him in Hawaii.