Former Liberal Chief of Staff Jailed for 4 Months for "an attack on democratic values"

Somewhat stale now but inevitable grist for the political mill - but it looks like the legal and criminal process has come to an end..........

Former Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty’s chief of staff has been sentenced to four months in jail, one year of probation and 100 hours of community service for his role in the gas-plant scandal.

Justice Timothy Lipson described David Livingston’s conduct as “an attack on democratic values,” in handing down his sentence on Wednesday. He said Mr. Livingston “abused his position of power to promote the interests of the governing party at the expense of the democratic process.”

Link: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-david-livingston-sentenced-to-four-months-over-deleted-gas-plants/

If he appeals - and I'll bet he will try, it means that after all this - he is still failing to recognize the gravity of his offence.....which SHOULD give the appellate court justification to INCREASE his sentence. Now THAT would be justice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Centerpiece said:

If he appeals - and I'll bet he will try, it means that after all this - he is still failing to recognize the gravity of his offence.....which SHOULD give the appellate court justification to INCREASE his sentence. Now THAT would be justice.

And if he keeps appealing that, why, he could be in jail forever...

In all seriousness, though, there needs to be a law against jailing Liberals.  it's just not fair because Liberals are the natural governing party.  And besides, our system needs to recognize the limits of rehabilitation, and capacity limits. 

Edited by Michael Hardner

In all seriousness, though, there needs to be a law against jailing Liberals.  it's just not fair because Liberals are the natural governing party.  And besides, our system needs to recognize the limits of rehabilitation, and capacity limits.

Tongue in cheek - but accurately applies to this iteration of (Wynne and Trudeau) Liberals. I prefer to think that previous governments of both stripe had SOME measure of integrity - they were not overt liars and in general, did (or tried to do) most of what they said they would do. Even the hated (or loved) Pierre Trudeau was fairly transparent. He just didn't care - and it took years before the damage of his his deficit/debt orgy became clear. And that's the real shame of the current Trudeau.....not only did he lie about deficits and debt to obtain power - but he has already undone the years of sacrifice that put our books more or less in order.

Here's the next election slogan: Why must Trudeau go? Because it's 2019!

Edited by Centerpiece
Forgot to quote Michael

20 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

And if he keeps appealing that, why, he could be in jail forever...

He was released immediately, pending the appeal. It will be years before this finishes, and in the end he probably won't see a day in jail. 

1 hour ago, Argus said:

He was released immediately, pending the appeal. It will be years before this finishes, and in the end he probably won't see a day in jail. 

That's some sweet justice there.  He's a freedom fighter, when you think of it.  How many future Liberal aides can now safely delete emails without fear of punishment ?  I think the greater good has been achieved.

Well then MH I think he be paid 10 million and his lawyer be appointed to the bench. Ask Omni the Liberal legal analyst. There's precedent for that sort of thing you know.

Well except he's  a white male. That may mean he's privileged and not entitled to a  tear from Trudeau.

5 minutes ago, Rue said:

Well except he's  a white male. That may mean he's privileged and not entitled to a  tear from Trudeau.

Having emotions (other than blind anger at people you irrationally hate) is actually a sign of humanity, though. Do you think Stephen Harper has cried even once ?   I think C3PO was a warmer person.

19 minutes ago, Rue said:

Well then MH I think he be paid 10 million and his lawyer be appointed to the bench. Ask Omni the Liberal legal analyst. There's precedent for that sort of thing you know.

I'm guessing that, just as with a member of any organized crime group, the 'family' will pick up his legal tab. The lawyers will be paid by well-heeled Liberal benefactors.