The Crosby Issue

4 hours ago, hot enough said:

But cultured, come on, OftenWrong!

It has its own culture. There's nothing finer than going for a skate with some pals, then hit the locker room for a shower and a beer. You should lace up the skates and come out sometime little fella. It might change your perspective on things.

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

It has its own culture. There's nothing finer than going for a skate with some pals, then hit the locker room for a shower and a beer. You should lace up the skates and come out sometime little fella. It might change your perspective on things.

I've played hockey, it was fun but I wasn't so dumb as to think it was culture. 

13 minutes ago, hot enough said:

I've played hockey, it was fun but I wasn't so dumb as to think it was culture. 

Hockey, like many team sports promotes camaraderie, a feeling of unity with your teammates. It also promotes attitudes of tolerance and fairness, understanding "adversary" vs. "enemy", so that you begin to see that even the other team is like you. The idea of winning without harming. Congratulating the winner, respecting the loser. Encouraging those who are not doing well, rather than condemning. These are just a few aspects of hockey culture which have shaped traditional Canadian values.

Edited by OftenWrong
back to topic please!

14 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Hockey, like many team sports promotes camaraderie, a feeling of unity with your teammates. It also promotes attitudes of tolerance and fairness, understanding "adversary" vs. "enemy", so that you begin to see that even the other team is like you. The idea of winning without harming. Congratulating the winner, respecting the loser. Encouraging those who are not doing well, rather than condemning. These are just a few aspects of hockey culture which have shaped traditional Canadian values.

Wow! With all hockey teaches why does it seem like you provide overwhelming support for US/UK/... war crimes and terrorism against others who have done nothing to us?

Just now, hot enough said:

Wow! With all hockey teaches why does it seem like you provide overwhelming support for US/UK/... war crimes and terrorism against others who have done nothing to us?

Well now hockey is not about politics, as you know. But hockey can transcend the barriers of otherness that give rise to xenophobia. The USSR has a team and sure, we hated those guys in the early days when our teams played off against one another. But as hockey players they play very well and  have earned a lot of respect among Canadian fans, and now Russian players are common in the NHL. This illustrates that sport is a means to finding common ground and achieving understanding among disparate peoples.

16 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Well now hockey is not about politics, as you know. But hockey can transcend the barriers of otherness that give rise to xenophobia. The USSR has a team and sure, we hated those guys in the early days when our teams played off against one another. But as hockey players they play very well and  have earned a lot of respect among Canadian fans, and now Russian players are common in the NHL. This illustrates that sport is a means to finding common ground and achieving understanding among disparate peoples.

Well then, with all hockey teaches why does it seem like you provide overwhelming support for US/UK/... war crimes and terrorism against others who have done nothing to us? Where is the camaraderie, where is the love for your fellow humans, those peoples that had never done a thing to us, the ones that vicious, slanderous falsehoods have been hurled at for years. The ones that have had to bear the enormous, unfair brunt of western lies/perfidy?

So, the long and the short of it is, Crosby should not set foot in the Black House!

Edited by hot enough

1 minute ago, hot enough said:

Well then, with all hockey teaches why does it seem like you provide overwhelming support for US/UK/... war crimes and terrorism against others who have done nothing to us? Where is the camaraderie, where is the love for your fellow humans, those peoples that had never done a thing to us, the ones that vicious, slanderous falsehoods have been hurled at for years. The ones that have had to bear the enormous, unfair brunt of western lies/perfidy?

Well it's a weird question but if previous US political leaders are war criminals, and some could well be, they deserve prosecution. But that will not happen because doing so empowers our enemies, who are also very likely war criminals. I have never heard any suggestion how to solve this problem that wouldn't unbalance the power structure and create another world war. My acceptance of the status quo does not imply it has my support.

16 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Well it's a weird question but if previous US political leaders are war criminals, and some could well be, they deserve prosecution. But that will not happen because doing so empowers our enemies, who are also very likely war criminals. I have never heard any suggestion how to solve this problem that wouldn't unbalance the power structure and create another world war. My acceptance of the status quo does not imply it has my support.

You obviously don't believe in the rule of law, except when it comes to people you don't like. Taking people to trial for their war crimes and terrorism doesn't unbalance the power structure, it's what keeps the power structure functioning in the equal and just fashion it is supposed to.

Your acceptance of the status quo is no different than a street sweeper or a death camp guard accepting the status quo.