Public Art: What am I failing to get?

douglas-coupland-golden-tree-stanley-par

cal080317-gya-5wp.jpg?quality=55&strip=a

Are there any art majors on who can explain why these, and many like them, are not just garbage ripping off people who are afraid to admit they don't know art from a hole in the ground?

I am more than willing to be schooled here.

I think I've told this story before, maybe on here.  When I worked for a sheet metal company based in Surrey I had to pipe in the suction system in the woodwork shop at the Vancouver Art Gallery.  They have a pretty sophisticated shop, just for all the custom crating they have to do.  I was having my coffee break in their cafe and talking to a curator when I mentioned a piece of art on the balcony.  It was twisted rusty metal.  I told him that if he wanted to buy more of the same, he could come back with me to our shop and take his pick from the scrap yard we had out back.  It was full of identical art.

He said I needed a degree to understand why our scrapyard was not the the same at all.

15 hours ago, bcsapper said:

He said I needed a degree to understand why our scrapyard was not the the same at all.

maybe he was right. Not that it matters. If you think its trash then its trash.  I bought a painting from my cousins daughter.

'I like that painting. How much do you want for it?'. 

'100 dollars'. 

'Sold.' says I.    Her father went to lecture her on 'family values' and handed me back my hundred dollars. 'That painting is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and right now its worth 100 bucks.' says I . 

5 hours ago, Peter F said:

maybe he was right. Not that it matters. If you think its trash then its trash.  I bought a painting from my cousins daughter.

'I like that painting. How much do you want for it?'. 

'100 dollars'. 

'Sold.' says I.    Her father went to lecture her on 'family values' and handed me back my hundred dollars. 'That painting is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and right now its worth 100 bucks.' says I . 

That seems to indicate he was wrong.  You seem to be papaphrasing the old "I don't know much about art but I know what I like" sentiment.

I need to know why "Voice of Fire" was worth $10M, and why it's gone up in price, if I think it's trash.  Would a degree help?  If so, why have I never read anything by anyone with a degree explaining it to me?

As I said, I have no innate desire to remain a philistine.  I just think fewer people know than are letting on.

How about an exhibit in 1991 at the National Gallery consisting of a dress made out of flank steak for which the artist received a hefty award.  Lady Gaga was so impressed she wore a knockoff at a gala.

Also honoured was Czech-born, Montreal-based Jana Sterbak, 56, who created a stir in 1991 with her exhibition at the National Gallery of Vanitas: Flesh Dress for an Albino Anorectic, a dress made of sewn flank steak that subsequently spurred a similar creation by Lady Gaga for her 2010 appearance at the MTV Music Video Awards. (Fellow laureate Nemiroff was instrumental in mounting the NGC show.) Since then, Sterbak has become one of the country's best-known artists internationally, her work in video, sculpture, installation and performance the subject of several retrospectives. A version of the flesh dress was shown at the Centre Pompidou in Paris in 2009. Sterbak currently teaches art history at Concordia University.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/meat-dress-artist-among-honorees-at-g-g-awards/article549881/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Yummy.