Anti-Gay, Anti-Abortion Nazi Scheer

4 hours ago, Wilber said:

Nothing wrong with being anti abortion but becomes a problem when you try to impose your beliefs on others.

Or pass legislation through the lens of your religious conservative views...   like Harper's bone he threw to his base by not funding certain international women's reproductive health groups because they performed abortions.

1 hour ago, The_Squid said:

Or pass legislation through the lens of your religious conservative views...   like Harper's bone he threw to his base by not funding certain international women's reproductive health groups because they performed abortions.

So what? How did that harm Canadians?

On the other hand, when Trudeau decided to double the number of seniors allowed to immigrate to Canada and exempt them from skills or language testing that cost me and every other Canadian a lot of money, billions, in health care costs. And that was done why? Because of his appealing to his ethnic base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capricorn said:

Are you sure you didn't mean "red meat". It's so much more descriptive than "bone".

It was such a little thing it was really more of a bone. Harper rarely delivered any read meat to his base since he was confident they had nowhere else to eat anyway.

59 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Where did I say it harmed Canadians?  

It was a stupid decision made only to play to the Party's base.  

Yeah, okay, but so what? If it made their base happy but cost us nothing, what's the big deal?

Trudeau does the same thing, only his costs us billions.

14 hours ago, The_Squid said:

Is this really how you want tax dollars spent? Those tax dollars could be better spent given to terrorists who had to change rooms.

On 06/06/2017 at 11:29 AM, kimmy said:

I don't presume to know which of those situations would be the most difficult, I just wish to point out that many people do find themselves in such situations.

My own brief university experience bore little resemblance to the current popular perception of political correctness gone mad. I didn't find campus hostile to my views, or to any views, really. I never actually encountered walk-ins, walk-outs, sit-ins, teach-ins, and all the rest of this stuff. I was in mostly science and math courses, and people were mostly concerned with the course material. This was at the University of Alberta about 10 years ago, perhaps things have changed.

In my current smaller town situation, I encounter rednecks and older conservatives a lot more than I encounter politically-correct social justice mobs or intolerant liberals trying to silence anybody. I sometimes have to bite my tongue in the interest of maintaining the peace. A while back city hall painted the crosswalk stripes at a downtown intersection in rainbow colors instead of black and white, and local conservatives didn't feel intimidated from expressing their anger in local media outlets. 

This environment where conservatives have to "stay in the closet" or face social stigma might fit Argus's situation, I dunno, but it doesn't match the environment in my community.

-k

Your personal anecdotes from small  western conservative towns is not indicative of Canada and the world as a whole. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. Don't believe me? Pick up any newspaper or turn on any news outlet.

On 20/06/2017 at 5:31 AM, BubbleGumYum said:

You say anti-abortion like it's a bad thing. Pretty sure all scientifically-literate, moral people recognize the evils of abortion. A decent person will be no less anti-abortion than she is anti-slavery.

What?

Your morality chart is askew if you'd rather have unwanted babies that people are not prepared to look after in a world already overcrowded.