Immigration of religious fanatics

Argus

21 minutes ago, Canadianjim said:

The very fact that people want to come to a secular society is evidence against your theory. Religious fanatics don't want to live in a secular society. That is why in Canada and the US , many Christians are trying to change that since they were born here and hate secularism.

Not true. People are not coming here because it's a secular society but despite it being a secular society. They are coming here for economic reasons. That does not mean they have lost their attachment to their religious fundamentalism or the social and cultural values that religion has taught them.

I know of no mainstream Christian group which is trying to change the secular nature of our culture or politics. Theocratic rule is not a part of biblical teachings while it most definitely is in Muslim teachings.

9 minutes ago, Argus said:

Not true. People are not coming here because it's a secular society but despite it being a secular society. They are coming here for economic reasons. That does not mean they have lost their attachment to their religious fundamentalism or the social and cultural values that religion has taught them.

I know of no mainstream Christian group which is trying to change the secular nature of our culture or politics. Theocratic rule is not a part of biblical teachings while it most definitely is in Muslim teachings.

Not quite sure how you know what is in the minds of all the people coming here but who cares if they go to a mosque, or synagogue, a church or non of the above so long as they obey the law.

Just now, Omni said:

Not quite sure how you know what is in the minds of all the people coming here but who cares if they go to a mosque, or synagogue, a church or non of the above so long as they obey the law.

So you'd be okay with us allowing tens of thousands of members of the KKK in the southern US to immigrate here every year? As long as they obeyed the law, that is?

1 minute ago, Argus said:

So you'd be okay with us allowing tens of thousands of members of the KKK in the southern US to immigrate here every year? As long as they obeyed the law, that is?

Religion (and maybe skin color) seems to be what has you in such a panic, I don't think trying to make the KKK one is legit  . 

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Really? Read your bible? Just a few examples....

Kill People Who Don’t Listen to Priests (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches(Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers(Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Death for Hitting Dad (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Death for Adultery (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Death to Followers of Other Religions (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

Kill Nonbelievers (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Kill False Prophets (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God(Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night 22:20-21 NAB)

Kill Followers of Other Religions. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

Kill Sons of Sinners(Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

God Will Kill Children(Hosea 9:11-16 NLT)

Kill Men, Women, and Children (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Kill Old Men and Young Women(Jeremiah 51:20-26)

14 minutes ago, Canadianjim said:

Kill People Who Don’t Listen to Priests (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches(Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers(Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Death for Hitting Dad (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Death for Adultery (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Death to Followers of Other Religions (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

Kill Nonbelievers (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Kill False Prophets (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God(Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night 22:20-21 NAB)

Kill Followers of Other Religions. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

Kill Sons of Sinners(Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

God Will Kill Children(Hosea 9:11-16 NLT)

Kill Men, Women, and Children (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Kill Old Men and Young Women(Jeremiah 51:20-26)

Yeah, they don't actually do that stuff overmuch anymore.  Not so I've noticed, anyway.

29 minutes ago, Canadianjim said:

There are all kinds of such statements in the old testament, but it is the OLD testament, and no ecclesiastical authority has supported church rule in many centuries. Nor are there mainstream Christian groups calling on Christian law - assuming there even were such a thing - to be implemented. There is no formal Christian law anyway, nothing that compares to Sharia law.

2 hours ago, Canadianjim said:

They don't? Whats with the bombs in iraq by the so called christian  nation? They don't kill or take any ones head off?

Ah, you're making the argument that they are doing it because their Good Book told them to, probably so that anyone who does bad things due to a Good Book can be excused, because Christians do it too.

Edited by bcsapper
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction - Blaise Pascal

1 minute ago, Canadianjim said:

I made no such argument. I despise all religions and all evil in the name of a religion. 

What is your argument, then, with regards to the quotes you posted?

Edited by bcsapper
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction - Blaise Pascal

34 minutes ago, Canadianjim said:

To simply disagree with any stereotyping of immigrants which has been happening quite a bit in Canada as well as the rest of the  world.

I didn't get that from your post, but if you say so, who the hell am I?  As an immigrant, I have had to put up with a lot of stereotyping myself. 

Edited by bcsapper

4 hours ago, Argus said:

There are all kinds of such statements in the old testament, but it is the OLD testament, and no ecclesiastical authority has supported church rule in many centuries. Nor are there mainstream Christian groups calling on Christian law - assuming there even were such a thing - to be implemented. There is no formal Christian law anyway, nothing that compares to Sharia law.

Mathew 5:17 says Jesus disagrees with you. And if you don't think religion doesn't  support atrocities today, better see what's being done to  the palestinians. Paid for by Christians dollars.

and......
Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Edited by Canadianjim

8 minutes ago, Omni said:

I guess bigots will remain bigots, in spite of any any info. that opposes their stance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/11/26/refugees-economy-canada_n_8658076.html

A bigot is just someone who is intolerant of those who disagree with them.  There's a lot of those about.

Edited by bcsapper

36 minutes ago, Omni said:

You're right, I should have said xenophobes, but I got lazy as to spelling.

There's a lot of those about too.

Edited by bcsapper

4 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Yeah, they don't actually do that stuff overmuch anymore.  Not so I've noticed, anyway.

You should check out what American conservative evangelicals are encouraging African governments to do in Christ's name.

In Uganda, being gay can now earn you a lifetime in prison.

To some, the belief that homosexuality is a disease that needs to be cured may seem too ridiculous to even entertain. But if the devout can’t win at home, they’ll take their message abroad. It’s up to the international community and African activists dedicated to human rights to put an end to this export of hate.

American right-wing Christians are amongst the sickest puppies on the planet. So yeah, the immigration of religious fanatics is a real problem alright, conservative ones especially.