Liberals Finally Appoint New Judges

If they're not white men, then they can't be competent? Is that what you're suggesting?

I think what he's saying is that competence wasn't the main criteria. It doesn't matter. It never is.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what he's saying is that competence wasn't the main criteria. It doesn't matter. It never is.

If they were incompetent their appointment would either be blocked by the judiciary itself or they would have been disbarred already. They're not incompetent in any demonstrable way that I can tell. Now if one of the resident "the world is going to end because they're not white" posters wants to elaborate on what makes them not competent, then I'd love to hear it.

If they were incompetent their appointment would either be blocked by the judiciary itself or they would have been disbarred already. They're not incompetent in any demonstrable way that I can tell. Now if one of the resident "the world is going to end because they're not white" posters wants to elaborate on what makes them not competent, then I'd love to hear it.

It's not that they're incompetent. I'm sure they are not. It's just that knowledge of jurisprudence probably wasn't the deciding factor.

But like I said, it never is.

Are they somehow lacking knowledge? I'd love someone to show that.

It's not that they're lacking knowledge. I'm sure they are not. It's just that competence probably wasn't the deciding factor.

It's not that they're lacking knowledge. I'm sure they are not. It's just that competence probably wasn't the deciding factor.

Im quite sure that competence was the number 1 factor. Then with at pool of competence+qualified they elfin well appointed whoever they liked - as every other damned prime-minister in the past has done. Even Harper.

Yeah, just like when it was Harper.

Because, conservatives!!!

It depends - some attacks on either side are well grounded. There's nothing to this one besides, Liberals!!! And some kind of weird white pride.

It depends - some attacks on either side are well grounded. There's nothing to this one besides, Liberals!!! And some kind of weird white pride.

I have a very fundamental belief in meritocracy, which is something Liberals run screaming into the night to avoid. Merit is not something you understand for it's not something you've ever had. "Appoint on merit!?" Sputter sputter! Why that's racist!

Im quite sure that competence was the number 1 factor. Then with at pool of competence+qualified they elfin well appointed whoever they liked - as every other damned prime-minister in the past has done. Even Harper.

Yes, I'm sure you are. As for "Even Harper", like I said, Everyone does it.

I have a very fundamental belief in meritocracy, which is something Liberals run screaming into the night to avoid. Merit is not something you understand for it's not something you've ever had. "Appoint on merit!?" Sputter sputter! Why that's racist!

Did you complain about Harper's appointments of...anyone?

Canada has never been a meritocracy, and the last government's appointments stand as a testament to that.

Did you complain about Harper's appointments of...anyone?

I've posted several times that whoever was advising Harper on appointments ought to have been shot.

AS for his judicial appointments, no, I never found cause to complain. The Liberals had been avoiding appointing anyone with a hint of conservative views for so long there were many extremely capable and competent people available.

Canada has never been a meritocracy, and the last government's appointments stand as a testament to that.

The only people who oppose meritocracies are those without the ability to succeed in one.

You're making an assumption. No one would question whether competence was a factor if it were white people appointed so it makes it a racist assumption at that.

And still, not a single post expressing any sort of deficiencies these judges might have. Do you have anything other than complaints about their race?

Merit is not something you understand for it's not something you've ever had.

The only people who oppose meritocracies are those without the ability to succeed in one.

Your childish insults are a testament to how empty your arguments are here. You've not once shown any example of how these judges lack the requisite qualifications for the job. What merits are they lacking? You've got absolutely nothing, so you just insult posters instead. Which is god damned hilarious considering you're the biggest complainer about people insulting you.

You're making an assumption. No one would question whether competence was a factor if it were white people appointed so it makes it a racist assumption at that.

Ah yes, racism.

Anyway, people do. Harper's appointments for instance. Any other Prime Minister's appointments. And I'm not questioning competence. I'm saying it probably wasn't the number one factor in making the choices. Do you think it was?

I think competence was definitely a factor, yes. I'm pretty sure the PM doesn't want to appoint incompetent judges. Only Harper was that stupid, appointing a judge for Quebec who had little to no experience with the civil code.

Edited by cybercoma

AS for his [Harper] judicial appointments, no, I never found cause to complain.

So you were fine with the unqualified Nadon, and Towes? This is ask #3, what other than skin colour is the problem with Trudeau's appointments? Who was passed over that is better suited?

Only Harper was that stupid, appointing a judge for Quebec who had little to no experience with the civil code.

Except this statement is completely false.

Nadon got his law degree from Sherbrooke and practiced law in Quebec for many years.

The objections of the SCC to his appointment were not based on any rational legal principal but were simply and example of SCC deciding cases based on personal prejudices.

Edited by TimG

I think competence was definitely a factor, yes. I'm pretty sure the PM doesn't want to appoint incompetent judges. Only Harper was that stupid, appointing a judge for Quebec who had little to no experience with the civil code.

I think competence was a factor too. As was the appearance of diversity, and the potential for a judge to see things the Liberal way.