Your reaction to American politics?

No. The XL was done before Trudeau was elected. But there are more than one pipeline discussions ongoing. One's that don't involve "American politics" whatsoever. I can't imagine what I would think to contrast anything Trump has to to say with. It's really become too boring to waste time thinking about.

Trudeau was not elected PM....his party won a majority of seats in Parliament and he is the chosen leader of his party. President Obama waited to officially reject Keystone XL until Trudeau entered office (Nov 6, 2015) as not in the United States' interest.

American politics transcends Donald Trump....it didn't just become an issue because Trump is a presidential candidate. The TPP is another example.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trudeau was not elected PM....his party won a majority of seats in Parliament and he is the chosen leader of his party. President Obama waited to officially reject Keystone XL until Trudeau entered office (Nov 6, 2015) as not in the United States' interest.

American politics transcends Donald Trump....it didn't just become an issue because Trump is a presidential candidate. The TPP is another example.

Yeah that's kinda how you become PM in Canada, but you already knew that, right? I hope you're right about Trump vis a vis American politics, because right now it seems it's just the opposite. And were I an American, I'd be somewhat embarrassed.

Yeah that's kinda how you become PM in Canada, but you already knew that, right? I hope you're right about Trump vis a vis American politics, because right now it seems it's just the opposite. And were I an American, I'd be somewhat embarrassed.

Well, you are not an American, so no need to project Canadian values like Trudeau. There are plenty of Americans that reject Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, and others for many different reasons.

The point of bringing up Obama and Keystone XL was to demonstrate a real circumstance of American politics that impacts Canada compared to whatever comes out of Trump's mouth. The "reaction" from some Canadians (not all) is irrational and inconsistent vis-a-vis Obama, for instance.

Obama has built walls on the Mexican border and deported over 2,000,000 illegals, including some Canadians...the very things Trump talks about. But no Obama "reaction" except more love ?

Well, you are not an American, so no need to project Canadian values like Trudeau. There are plenty of Americans that reject Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, and others for many different reasons.

The point of bringing up Obama and Keystone XL was to demonstrate a real circumstance of American politics that impacts Canada compared to whatever comes out of Trump's mouth. The "reaction" from some Canadians (not all) is irrational and inconsistent vis-a-vis Obama, for instance.

Obama has built walls on the Mexican border and deported over 2,000,000 illegals, including some Canadians...the very things Trump talks about. But no Obama "reaction" except more love ?

Yes, luckily I think there are lots of Americans who will reject Trump. It's how he has got as far as he has that would have me scratching my head. Keystone made little sense for Canada so I reckon we can just thank Obama for putting it off the table. Canada east makes much more sense. The only wall Trump will ever build will be between factions of the GOP, and America, ironically, will likely be better for it. i.e. they may decide they need to find candidates better educated and less radical to represent them.

Edited by rotary

Yes, luckily I think there are lots of Americans who will reject Trump. It's how he has got as far as he has that would have me scratching my head. Keystone made little sense for Canada so I reckon we can just thank Obama for putting it off the table. Canada east makes much more sense. The only wall Trump will ever build will be between factions of the GOP, and America, ironically, will likely be better for it.

So, we can agree that some Canadians favoured Obama's rejection of Keystone for environmental and domestic economic reasons, but others very much wanted that pipeline to be approved, including PM Trudeau. In the same way, Americans can choose to agree with or reject Donald Trump's ideology and rhetoric with their votes or indifference.

American politics is for Americans, and Canadian reactions will be different. Some Canadians actually support Trump.

So, we can agree that some Canadians favoured Obama's rejection of Keystone for environmental and domestic economic reasons, but others very much wanted that pipeline to be approved, including PM Trudeau. In the same way, Americans can choose to agree with or reject Donald Trump's ideology and rhetoric with their votes or indifference.

American politics is for Americans, and Canadian reactions will be different. Some Canadians actually support Trump.

I'm sure some Canadians did approve, which is why I pointed out to you you ought not make statements that involve what you perhaps wish the whole country thought. Trudeau wasn't pushing XL, that would have been Harper. And some Americans want Trudeau to run for president. The Canadians who support Trump are likely those who own property in Cape Breton.

I'm sure some Canadians did approve, which is why I pointed out to you you ought not make statements that involve what you perhaps wish the whole country thought. Trudeau wasn't pushing XL, that would have been Harper. And some Americans want Trudeau to run for president. The Canadians who support Trump are likely those who own property in Cape Breton.

We can play games if you wish....some Canadians wanted Obama to be PM. It is neither here nor there.

Trudeau most definitely favoured Keystone XL in the Liberal Party platform, and he continues to support it.

...Let me be clear: I support Keystone XL because, having examined the facts, and accepting the judgment of the National Energy Board, I believe it is in the national interest.

...Most of all, it is in keeping with what I believe is a fundamental role of the Government of Canada: to open up markets abroad for Canadian resources, and to help create responsible and sustainable ways to get those resources to those markets.

https://www.liberal.ca/liberal-party-canada-leader-justin-trudeaus-speech-calgary-petroleum-club/

Canada's "reaction" to this American political decision is to wait for a Republican president to approve the pipeline, like Donald Trump.

We can play games if you wish....some Canadians wanted Obama to be PM. It is neither here nor there.

Trudeau most definitely favoured Keystone XL in the Liberal Party platform, and he continues to support it.

Canada's "reaction" to this American political decision is to wait for a Republican president to approve the pipeline.

Sorry no. But Trudeau realizes the economic value of sending Canadian resources to Canadian refineries so we get the advantage of value added before shipping. So that ship has already sailed regardless of who wins down there. But in any case, by the look of things we will all be a lot older before the next Republican president shows up, don't you think?

Sorry no. But Trudeau realizes the economic value of sending Canadian resources to Canadian refineries so we get the advantage of value added before shipping. So that ship has already sailed regardless of who wins down there. But in any case, by the look of things we will all be a lot older before the next Republican president shows up, don't you think?

No, see my edit above. Trudeau is on record for Keystone XL. Canada is politically paralyzed for east-west pipelines and new refineries.

The next president will enter office in January, 2017. All we can say for sure is that it will be an American.

No, see my edit above. Trudeau is on record for Keystone XL. Canada is politically paralyzed for east-west pipelines and new refineries.

The next president will enter office in January, 2017. All we can say for sure is that it will be an American.

So you finally agree that Cruz is nothing but an American? Although it doesn't really matter since Trump is paving the way for Hillary. Canada is far from paralyzed on pipelines. Trudeau has simply set about making sure the NEB process for approvals is actually meaningful.

So you finally agree that Cruz is nothing but an American? Although it doesn't really matter since Trump is paving the way for Hillary. Canada is far from paralyzed on pipelines. Trudeau has simply set about making sure the NEB process for approvals is actually meaningful.

Canada's reaction to the U.S. pipeline politics has been more direct than in his own country, mired in provincial bickering, First Nations reviews, lack of capital, low oil prices, and U.S. competition.

Donald Trump can giveth what Obama taketh away.

Canada's reaction to the U.S. pipeline politics has been more direct than in his own country, mired in provincial bickering, First Nations reviews, lack of capital, low oil prices, and U.S. competition.

Donald Trump can giveth what Obama taketh away.

Once again, as explained, NEB process becoming meaningful. All parties invited to the table for a change. What Donald Trump giveth, so doth Jerry Springer, or Rush Limbaugh, or any one of those retarded daytime TV programs Americans seem to be so mesmerized by. I'm surprised you would try to take down Obama in the eyes of Canadians after you tried to suggest we were previously wanting to vote for him. Contradicting yourself tends to destroy your creds you know eh?

Agreed....Canadian politics is dreadfully boring, except for maybe Rob Ford.

U.S. politics and other drama is readily available to Canadians because Canadians demand and consume so much American media content..they actually pay for it in some cases (only to complain about the Big 3 cable bills). The OP's point goes beyond Canada's reaction to U.S. politics; it identifies the constant desire to look across the border with noses pressed against the glass, while the Americans mostly just ignore Canadian politics as uninteresting and irrelevant to their lives. Two different perspectives...I guess.

I've followed Canadian politics, as well as other countries, enough to know some basics, but our media overwhelms most of our outlets to anything "not us". Even overseas, i run across the bias as much of the media is owned, "friendly" with, or associated with companies here in the US.

The one thing I know in what I have followed is that I personally like Trudeau. Compared to everything we have down here, the guy's a saint!

Once again, as explained, NEB process becoming meaningful. All parties invited to the table for a change. What Donald Trump giveth, so doth Jerry Springer, or Rush Limbaugh, or any one of those retarded daytime TV programs Americans seem to be so mesmerized by. I'm surprised you would try to take down Obama in the eyes of Canadians after you tried to suggest we were previously wanting to vote for him. Contradicting yourself tends to destroy your creds you know eh?

That's the entire point concerning American politics and Canada's reaction. President Obama has made decisions that impact Canada today (e.g. Keystone XL), even as many Canadians supported him overwhelmingly. Trump hasn't done anything yet....except maybe manage a hotel and business center in Toronto.

Canadians gobble up a lot of "retarded" daytime and nighttime American television programming. That's why Global, CTV, and City buy it...much cheaper than producing your own. U.S. programs dominate the Numeris ratings for English Canada..have for many years.

Canadians gobble up a lot of "retarded" daytime and nighttime American television programming. That's why Global, CTV, and City buy it...much cheaper than producing your own. U.S. programs dominate the Numeris ratings for English Canada..have for many years.

so what! That's your forever go-to... Canadians watching American tee-vee! :lol: Short of a profiled American city or state name in the series title, very few American tee-vee shows are ready-identified presentations of "American culture or politics"... well... that's those excluding jingoistic U.S. military exploitation, fervent USA!, USA!, USA! self-esteem pumping, myopic and insular close-minded projections of the U.S. standing within the world community, the U.S. "gun culture", hillbilly red-neck reality exposures, etc., etc., etc.! Other than a want to simply 'veg out' with an occasional non-thinking time-waster, Canadians relish opportunities to see American shows using Canadian cities as stand-ins for American cities! U.S.eh.!. U.S.eh.!, U.S.eh.!

so what! That's your forever go-to... Canadians watching American tee-vee! :lol: Short of a profiled American city or state name in the series title, very few American tee-vee shows are ready-identified presentations of "American culture or politics"... well... that's those excluding jingoistic U.S. military exploitation, fervent USA!, USA!, USA! self-esteem pumping, myopic and insular close-minded projections of the U.S. standing within the world community, the U.S. "gun culture", hillbilly red-neck reality exposures, etc., etc., etc.! Other than a want to simply 'veg out' with an occasional non-thinking time-waster, Canadians relish opportunities to see American shows using Canadian cities as stand-ins for American cities! U.S.eh.!. U.S.eh.!, U.S.eh.!

Hehehehehehehe... sorry I just got a laugh out of the entire dialog between you two there. My wife and I don't own a TV and my son has never watched a show in his 2+ years of life yet. Very few shows air that I actually have an interest in and none of them are really about any type of blind American patriotism - Family Guy, Simpsons, Big Bang Theory and... well, that's it really.

I find myself going online to watch more and more British, Australian and Canadian series (or at least syndicated shows) like Aircrash Investigations, Sherlock and a number of National Geographic shows and other documentaries, than I do wasting time in the wasteland of American TV.

It's just interesting to be reading this from a 3rd person perspective.

That's the entire point concerning American politics and Canada's reaction. President Obama has made decisions that impact Canada today (e.g. Keystone XL), even as many Canadians supported him overwhelmingly. Trump hasn't done anything yet....except maybe manage a hotel and business center in Toronto.

I suspect the Canadian support remains, XL or no XL. We have our own ideas about pipelines,and give you a hint, those ideas involve Canadian refineries. As to the TV stuff, I think I will simply refer you to member Waldo's comments. I couldn't sum it up any better.

I suspect the Canadian support remains, XL or no XL. We have our own ideas about pipelines,and give you a hint, those ideas involve Canadian refineries. As to the TV stuff, I think I will simply refer you to member Waldo's comments. I couldn't sum it up any better.

I agree....and just like American politics, Canadians will continue to watch through their media view of the United States. Nobody forces them too...Canadians do it voluntarily and pay extra for it. That's been Canada's "reaction" for decades....more of the same.

BC, of course Canadians are concerned who becomes President and what activities are going on in the US, just like Mexico is. No matter what say, the US wants to know what happening here to or like all countries, or they wouldn't be spying on each and if u don't wanted to know what's happening in Canada then that's okay too but, you seem to think u know a lot about everything.

BC, of course Canadians are concerned who becomes President and what activities are going on in the US, just like Mexico is. No matter what say, the US wants to know what happening here to or like all countries, or they wouldn't be spying on each and if u don't wanted to know what's happening in Canada then that's okay too but, you seem to think u know a lot about everything.

How much Mexican politics and media do you watch ? Guess you know everything too, huh ?

The OP is about Canada's reaction....same as it ever was...Trump or no Trump.

I agree....and just like American politics, Canadians will continue to watch through their media view of the United States. Nobody forces them too...Canadians do it voluntarily and pay extra for it. That's been Canada's "reaction" for decades....more of the same.

I'm watching Obama stepping off AF One just now, and I'm not doing through any US programming. If I want a soap opera later on that may change. Is that where you get your knowledge of American politics?

I'm watching Obama stepping off AF One just now, and I'm not doing through any US programming. If I want a soap opera later on that may change. Is that where you get your knowledge of American politics?

No, I get my knowledge of American politics from actually living and voting in the United States. But it's still easy to see Canada's reaction to politics in the United States...even Trudeau said that Canada wants more attention from Americans.

No, I get my knowledge of American politics from actually living and voting in the United States. But it's still easy to see Canada's reaction to politics in the United States...even Trudeau said that Canada wants more attention from Americans.

No, what he said was Americans should pay a little more attention to the rest of the world. But of course that is a very old summation, especially among people who have encountered US tourists in foreign countries.

No, what he said was Americans should pay a little more attention to the rest of the world. But of course that is a very old summation, especially among people who have encountered US tourists in foreign countries.

That's Trudeau's opinion, and just like he says, most Americans don't know who he is, and don't care that they don't know. If Canadians want to intently watch American politics and culture, that's their choice....doesn't mean more Americans have to reciprocate. That's why we have the CIA, NSA, Google, YouTube, Twitter, etc. Canadians also love to use these.