Bill Morneau as Finance Minister, a liability for Trudeau?

Lets face it, Morneau has had a rough go in the early months of this government. The media has actually been fairly critical of him, he has proven to not do well in the HOC, doesn't seem to answer questions very directly and now is tasked with a budget that is going to have a deficit way bigger than was promised in the election. Just how is he going to handle scrums that day?! Plus, lots of questions have been raised on his financial holdings and potential conflict of interest situations going forward...

Don't get me wrong, Bill Morneau should no doubt be in Trudeau's cabinet and a prominent member, but I think Trudeau should have went with a more experienced politician for Finance as opposed to probably Canada's most wealthy MP EVER.

Thoughts?

I stand to be corrected but I believe he's the first Federal Finance Minister who has never served as an elected politician. Doesn't mean he can't do the job but there's an additional learning curve just to figure our the rules of parliament, how to serve your constituents - just how to be an MP. Tough job.

He inherited a deficit and an economy in a spiral dive. At least let him actually deliver a budget before we get all political on the guy.

Canada is not in a recession, though Guess Who is intent on creating one as quickly as possible.

I think the OP question is backwards, it should be' is Trudea as PM a liability for Morneau'?. The answer to that is clear and unambiguous

Creating one, how?

By his complete disconnect between the reality of managing the economy of an industrialized nation and his burning desire to shape our society in his image with borrowed money.

No problem with that if his vision included any way to pay that money back, or even to stop borrowing more and more every year.

Canada is not in a recession, though Guess Who is intent on creating one as quickly as possible.

I think the OP question is backwards, it should be' is Trudea as PM a liability for Morneau'?. The answer to that is clear and unambiguous

Depends on your definition of recession, although I don't know your point in throwing that word in there. I don't know, who do you think is trying to create one?

A new gas tax will certainly help.

Is that happening at the federal level? Besides, gas prices are at their lowest in a decade.

New anti-industry regulations to make it even more difficult to build pipelines or start up mines or forestry projects will have an impact, as well.

It doesn't seem like Harper was getting any pipelines built with relaxed regulations.

Is that happening at the federal level? Besides, gas prices are at their lowest in a decade.

It doesn't seem like Harper was getting any pipelines built with relaxed regulations.

we have listed the pipelines built and approved under the Harper regime several times.

Trudeau has a shorter but much more impressive record of achievement already.

He has managed to put all pipeline projects in severe jeopardy with his specific actions, which will have wide ranging negative impact on our economy for a very long time. He has made it clear that investment is not welcome in Canada, and corporations will certainly take note of that. Hello recession.

we have listed the pipelines built and approved under the Harper regime several times.

Yes, there were some built. There were also some not built. This approach gives some those pipelines (energy east and transmountain) a chance.

Trudeau has a shorter but much more impressive record of achievement already.

He has managed to put all pipeline projects in severe jeopardy with his specific actions, which will have wide ranging negative impact on our economy for a very long time.

Are you saying they won't stand up to proper scrutiny?

He has made it clear that investment is not welcome in Canada, and corporations will certainly take note of that. Hello recession.

He's made that clear? Did you have a private conversation with him in which he did that? No one else seems to know about this. He was, after all, on hand (at the invitation of Google) for the opening of their new Canadian engineering office. Maybe you don't know what you're talking about?

You can add Enbridge line 3 replacement as another on hold now

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2016/01/29/news/enbridge-line-3-pipeline-could-be-next-face-tougher-scrutiny

I have some pictures of a pile of pipe the size of a football field out at Loreburn, sk and drove by another at Craik, sk. All the electrical buildings are built, pumps and motors (3@5750 hp at each site) are all bought too. When i was on site Wednesday the Enbridge employee said an announcement was made that day that the job will be on hold till 2019. It was obviously going to start going in the ground this spring. JT will have lots of time to get his social license in place, just in time for the next election.

So the Harper government did do all it could to get Line 3 done and Line 67 (Alberta Clipper) was also built in the last few years and fully operational now.

Yes, there were some built. There were also some not built. This approach gives some those pipelines (energy east and transmountain) a chance.

I see. So making the analyses much longer and more difficult gives them a better chance, eh?

Interesting Liberal party doublepseak.

The fact is those who oppose the pipelines will never change their minds under any circumstances. All the complexity does is give them further ammunition to fight against them.

Edited by Argus

I see. So making the analyses much longer and more difficult gives them a better chance, eh?

Interesting Liberal party doublepseak.

The problem at the current juncture is community buy in. A more rigorous process may just buy that.

The fact is those who oppose the pipelines will never change their minds under any circumstances.

There are degrees of opposition.

The problem at the current juncture is community buy in. A more rigorous process may just buy that.

Well, if they make the studies take twenty years instead of ten, you might lessen the opposition by, say 000000000000000.02% I suppose.

The big money which goes into anti-oil sands propaganda will never ease up regardless of how 'rigorous' the process is.

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2016/01/29/news/enbridge-line-3-pipeline-could-be-next-face-tougher-scrutiny

I have some pictures of a pile of pipe the size of a football field out at Loreburn, sk and drove by another at Craik, sk. All the electrical buildings are built, pumps and motors (3@5750 hp at each site) are all bought too. When i was on site Wednesday the Enbridge employee said an announcement was made that day that the job will be on hold till 2019. It was obviously going to start going in the ground this spring. JT will have lots of time to get his social license in place, just in time for the next election.

So the Harper government did do all it could to get Line 3 done and Line 67 (Alberta Clipper) was also built in the last few years and fully operational now.

(X)Personally, I think that the liberals are a liability for Canada.

There are degrees of opposition.

No, the problem is a Prime Minster who has cancelled one project after the NEB approved it with an end run(Gateway), and has introduced two specific delays to a project well into the the mandated and suddenly changed approval process(Energy East).

He has also declared himself a 'referee', which is in ordinary English mean an impartial bystander , a clear signal he has no interest in that sector of the already weak Canadian export market. No, that is not accurate. Trudeau is 'doing the Liberal', saying one thing and dong the opposite while trying to be vague. Nothing vague aboyut his actions, and nothing vague about his intent.

Thanks for that update. Line 3 is 1600 km long and has been in service for about 40 years. The right of way is defined, the replacement is starighforward. The value of the project is about $15 billion bucks split about equally between US work and Canadian work. The value of the oil in terms of taxes for a generation or two: many billions.

I fully expect Trudeau to delay this project long enough for both pipeline companies and the suppliers of the oil to say 'screw this, lets go somewhere else that wants the jobs and taxes'. There are countless candidates for that flight of capital. It shouldn't take long now, the signals to these comp-anies could not be more clear from nearly all sectors of Canad: several provincial governents, many First Nations and of course the organization that has the right and responsibility : the Trudeau government.

The 'social license' is unattainable newspeak gibberish, and the gents with the money know that no definition or metric for it is forthcoming from Trudeau.

They should and will just pack their tents, close their accounts, and leave for elsewhere. This country does not want them.

Yeah, we wouldn't want our PM sitting down with some of the richest men on the planet talking business now would we? oh well, there was that time recently in Paris, but hey.

And what exactly does he have to offer them? More vacuous prattle about resourcefulness and diversity? And you probably meant the meetings in Davos, right? The meeting in Paris was a mass wank with 350 of Trudeaus closest friends, by far the largest delegation enjoying some nice food and a pleasant time while talk talk talking.