Brooklyn

August1991

This movie has no plot or maybe, its plot is so simple that it is obvious. The movie has three acts: young Irish girl goes to America after the war. The twist? There is none. I am surprised that this movie is included in the nominations for Best Picture. "Brooklyn" is similar to "Marty" except "Brooklyn" was made some 60 years later. If Brooklyn wins, you can draw your own conclusions about western civilization.

I haven't read the book but I think this movie works because of the script (dialogue) and the two leads. When he says that he loves her, we believe it. And when she answers - both times - her face and words make us believe it. If the movie fails, it is the second act when she returns to Ireland. In the 1950s, this didn't happen and not in this way. But that's not a fault of the script or actors. Brooklyn is no "The Notebook" - it's far, far better.

This movie was made on a small budget (using largely taxpayer/government money from different countries - Telefilm Canada, BFI, Ireland) and filmed in part in Montreal. Imagine that: Western bureaucrat leftists give taxpayer money to Jim Broadbent to play a good Catholic priest in the 1950s.

Edited by August1991

Broadbent is one of those character actors that many people recognize but cannot name. I reckon he is one of the great non-leading actors of thisor any time.

Check him out (as a lead) in Another Year which is directed by the wonderful Mike Leigh.

I liked Brooklyn, it is straightforward , gentle romance in a genre rarely seen today. Good date movie, especially for those easily offended as there is no sex violence or harsh languiage.

Broadbent is one of those character actors that many people recognize but cannot name. I reckon he is one of the great non-leading actors of thisor any time.

And in "Brooklyn", Broadbent portrays a "good" priest when "Spotlight" showed that Catholic priests, at the very same time, were abusing their position.

When I saw the opening credits for Brooklyn, I was surprised with government/taxpayer involvement. As I watched the movie, and I saw Broadbent's role (Ryan's Daughter level), I was more than surprised.

====

The Western World, as they say, is conflicted and has issues.

Edited by August1991

And in "Brooklyn", Broadbent portrays a "good" priest when "Spotlight" showed that Catholic priests, at the very same time, were abusing their position.

When I saw the opening credits for Brooklyn, I was surprised with government/taxpayer involvement. As I watched the movie, and I saw Broadbent's role (Ryan's Daughter level), I was more than surprised.

====

The Western World, as they say, is conflicted and has issues.

No August, now please pay attention because I will explain yet again: Spotlight is not a story about buggery by priests. It is a story about a group of journalists exposing the abuse. Can you grasp this not subtle difference?

And Brooklyn does have a plot, and it is the oldest of them all. Girl meets boy. Difficulties follow. They are resolved. And they lived happily ever after. Sound familiar?

Spotlight is not a story about buggery by priests. It is a story about a group of journalists exposing the abuse. Can you grasp this not subtle difference?

Uh, no. I can't grasp this supposed subtle difference.

To me, "Spotlight" is a movie about journalists showing the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church - while missing the good works of Christians.

The irony is "Brooklyn", another Western movie nominated for Best Picture, portraying a good Christian (indeed a Catholic priest) of the same era.

====

As I say, the Western world is, uh, conflicted.

Edited by August1991

• 4 months later...