Canadians Solidly Behind Justin Trudeau

I have stated I do not think it wise to bring in new Muslim immigrants

Well thank you for clarifying your position, Donald Trump. Because alienating liberal muslims is clearly the most effective way to deal with Wahhabism. *sarcasm*

The federal government currently takes less as a percentage of GDP than at any time in the last 70 years. Canada is still, overall, below most of Europe.

You forget the provinces. Most countries don't have such powerful sub-national units with massive debt.

How would you suggest that every member of a society be represented?

Proportional representation.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I propose returning the GST to 7% and directing the money to those 4 initiatives. We still won't meet our obligations, but we'll come a hell of a lot closer.

I propose a GST of 25%, inline with countries like Norway and Sweden, in order to increase our savings rate to the level suggested by the golden rule.

Right now, we aren't able to meet our obligations to:

DND

CIDA

infrastructure

health

I propose returning the GST to 7% and directing the money to those 4 initiatives. We still won't meet our obligations, but we'll come a hell of a lot closer.

We may end up farther away from those obligations if the result is a slower economy.

Reality bites.

We may end up farther away from those obligations if the result is a slower economy.

That cut took something like $14B out of the government coffers. It is in such small quantities (usually pennies) that it doesn't really contribute to GDP growth the same way that other tax breaks do.

Well thank you for clarifying your position, Donald Trump. Because alienating liberal muslims is clearly the most effective way to deal with Wahhabism. *sarcasm*

There is ZERO evidence that treating Muslims with the absolute utmost respect for their feelings and culture and values will change whether or not they decide to throw in their lot with Wahabism or even ISIS. It is a religious belief, and it has no care or concern for what infidels feel about them. I can't recall a single western Muslim who went ballistic and started killing people complaining about how he wasn't being respected or how his religion was being dissed, or how people didn't like him.

You'd have to search (thoroughly) every vehicle coming home. It would be a logistical nightmare.

Maybe go with the trump option, build a wall.

Joking aside, I don't think it is that unfeasible. People in the states have been advocating for a consumption tax for nearly a century.

There is ZERO evidence that treating Muslims with the absolute utmost respect for their feelings and culture and values will change whether or not they decide to throw in their lot with Wahabism or even ISIS.

It's not about respecting people's feelings, it's about not alienating liberal muslims. One of the most effective ways to fight against Wahhabism is to have people argue and convince muslims that it is not the correct version of islam.

That cut took something like $14B out of the government coffers. It is in such small quantities (usually pennies) that it doesn't really contribute to GDP growth the same way that other tax breaks do.

Debt to income ratios are at a record high. Canadian consumers have little capacity to be bled more. Increase consumption taxes and they will just consume less.

Debt to income ratios are at a record high. Canadian consumers have little capacity to be bled more. Increase consumption taxes and they will just consume less.

That's going to have to happen anyway. If it were up to me, things like pension income splitting would also go away.

Again, less money going back into the economy. You don't grow an economy by making people poorer.

Most people didn't notice the decrease in GST. Most people won't notice if its increased.

As for pensioners - they tend to horde their money. It appears they may be the last generation to have a great deal of it.

Most people didn't notice the decrease in GST. Most people won't notice if its increased.

As for pensioners - they tend to horde their money.

Well make the tax 50% if no one will notice. They won't notice 15B coming out of their pockets any more than they will a government borrowing it. The underground economy doesn't exist. Never did.

Pensioners tend to live off their money and you can only horde something until you die, then what doesn't get taxed gets spent by someone else.

How dare those retirees keep what took them a lifetime to build. They don't deserve a standard of living anywhere near they had before they retired.

How dare those retirees keep what took them a lifetime to build. They don't deserve a standard of living anywhere near they had before they retired.

They don't deserve a standard of living that costs society as a whole. They generally have more money than working people. Why we now allow them to split it with their spouse is beyond me.

I am not at all surprised that this liberal government headed by Trudeau is so popular and I have no doubt that its popularity will only increase with time and they will form another likely bigger majority next time. It is an open, accountable, honest, kind, hard working, honorable government totally in opposite to scandalist, corrupt, heartless, dishonorable former Harper regime.

Or, they will be like the Chretien government, who started with a solid majority, but steadily lost seats in successive elections, until they themselves were thrown out in favor of the conservatives.

The Liberal government has barely had any time in office, and already they've broken one promise (bringing in 25,000 refugees by the end of THIS year), and other promises that are actually impossible to fill. (e.g. their tax cut promises and their impact on the deficit.) Certainly not a great start to their administration.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thehouse/does-the-government-s-math-add-up-1.3357005/finance-minister-bill-morneau-won-t-scale-back-liberal-promises-despite-concerns-of-bigger-deficit-1.3359129