Joe Oliver Bills for Flight and Room Upgrades

I guess this is the Liberal response to the campaign co-chair stepping down. This will get even less traction. Joe Oliver apparently billed for flight and hotel upgrades, as well as a $16 drink. It wasn't orange juice this time though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/14/receipts-show-finance-minister-billed-for-flight-upgrades-exclusive-hotel-rooms_n_8295620.html

I guess this is the Liberal response to the campaign co-chair stepping down. This will get even less traction. Joe Oliver apparently billed for flight and hotel upgrades, as well as a $16 drink. It wasn't orange juice this time though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/14/receipts-show-finance-minister-billed-for-flight-upgrades-exclusive-hotel-rooms_n_8295620.html

Poor Joe's problem is that no one actually cares what he does. He was a temporary stand-in for Flaherty who wasn't likely to remain in Finance even if the Tories won. I'm glad he grabbed his $16 drink, it's probably the best perk he's going to get for his short and remarkably pointless career as Minister of Finance.

Good on you, Joe.

I don't think we should nickel and dime these guys. They really do have a hard life. Grant them a few comforts, I say. They've earned them. Maybe if they are a bit comfier they'll think twice about calling their buds for dodgy business opportunities.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

A $16 drink ruined Bev Oda's career.

With Joe Oliver, we know that his $16 OJ will have had a double shot of Kettle One vodka in there at least...

If it was ONLY the OJ, Bev would have been fine.

Edited by The_Squid

I don't think we should nickel and dime these guys. They really do have a hard life. Grant them a few comforts, I say. They've earned them. Maybe if they are a bit comfier they'll think twice about calling their buds for dodgy business opportunities.

I agree... especially when it comes to food. If a hotel charges exorbitant prices for OJ (sans vodka), should they have to pack their own juice boxes? Of course not...

I don't have a problem with the finance Minister of my country not flying coach. He can fly business class or First Class in order to get some work done on the plane. Also have no problem with him staying at a reasonable Hotel. You guys want him flying coach and staying at the Motel 6? Lol.

If our COO who manages a 100 or so billion dollar a year business can only fly coach, why pray tell should a government worker be able to fly business?

If our COO who manages a 100 or so billion dollar a year business can only fly coach, why pray tell should a government worker be able to fly business?

Because he is managing a much bigger business and may be looking at material that would one like to keep as confidential as possible in a little comfort. Your boss chooses to travel that way. Imagine forcing Oliver or poor old Flaherty to do that.

They are not "government workers". This is a Cabinet Minister.

Because he is managing a much bigger business and may be looking at material that would one like to keep as confidential as possible in a little comfort. Your boss chooses to travel that way. Imagine forcing Oliver or poor old Flaherty to do that.

First part, OK I agree. Second part, I will completely disagree with you. I spend my life on airplanes, there is no privacy on a narrowbody aircraft between YYZ and YOW. It's 2x2 seating in J, versus 2x2 in Y or 3x3 in Y as there are no narrowbodies.

J = business class

Y = economy class.

I spend about 50% of my time up front and the other half in the back. The confidential argument is 100% not true. Plus, on those flights there is 0 time to work. It's a 1 hour 5 minute flight and about 30-40 minutes in the air, during which case a cheese plate and a drink or two is served.

And if we're talking YYZ YYC, same issue. It's 3 hours basically in the air, and there is no privacy unless one books a pod on the 1 flight a day that's on a 763. Based on when the 763 flies, Oliver is not on that flight.

Edited by angrypenguin

OK but what about no more comfort up front? You've seen our last two finance ministers? Do you not think they are entitled to a LITTLE consideration given what they had to put up with otherwise? There seems to be this relentless desire to cut any public servant down to size. These guys suffer enough.

OK but what about no more comfort up front? You've seen our last two finance ministers? Do you not think they are entitled to a LITTLE consideration given what they had to put up with otherwise? There seems to be this relentless desire to cut any public servant down to size. These guys suffer enough.

This argument i buy.

A COO makes millions of dollars a year, in some cases ens of millions per year. An MP makes about $150k and it's often a thankless job. I have no problem with them having some perks.

A COO makes millions of dollars a year, in some cases ens of millions per year. An MP makes about $150k and it's often a thankless job. I have no problem with them having some perks.

For once we are in agreement. Having spent more than my fair share of time in hotels on business trips, I can't tell you the number of times I've had to pay $5 for a package of lousy peanuts.

I kind of feel bad for Joe. He seems like a stand up guy. The polar opposite of Pierre Poilievre. Yet he has his seat still and Joe doesn't.

Yes, he seems decent. These politicians are made of sterner stuff. To be doing that kind of work, with all the concomitant grief, at his age passes all understanding.