How is Trudeau Going to Pay for all His Promises?

Argus

I believe Trudeau had initially planned for a balanced budget, but additional information had him change his plan. He just told us before the election, not after.

I think all three parties will end up running deficits, regardless of what they promise or would prefer. Not because they're liars but because of the economic situation around the world. That Trudeau already has a plan in place for that is impressive, in my opinion. That Harper and Mulcair fail to look at the larger picture isn't.

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/survey/so/2015/NEW040715A.htm

http://www.cfr.org/economics/next-global-economy-look-ahead-2015/p35962

Yes, it's curious the latest IMF projections haven't been bigger news, and I wonder why the LIberals haven't latched on to it to show that the Tories' rosy picture of the economy may be very optimistic.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't exist.

I've looked around and the Conservatives have promised almost nothing that's expensive. The biggest by far is the home renovation tax credit but they've made it contingent on a stronger economy.

Here is a listing from a very anti-Conservative media source. You'll note how little the Tories have promised, compared to the large, vague and uncosted promises of the Liberals and NDP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/21/a-look-at-promises-made-so-far-in-the-campaign-for-the-oct-19-election_n_8023380.html

Edited by Argus

Yes, it's curious the latest IMF projections haven't been bigger news, and I wonder why the LIberals haven't latched on to it to show that the Tories' rosy picture of the economy may be very optimistic.

On TV this morning they were interviewing Canadians who didn't know who was PM, thought Harper was leader of Liberal or NDP, thought Mulcair was Conrad Black. Maybe the Libs don't want to confuse people with outside references. They might end up mistaking IMF for International Muslim Force, an offshoot of ISIS, but with more money.

The Conservatives' have costed theirs out

really? Can you please provide a cited reference to a fully costed breakout of the Harper Conservative 2015 election platform, inclusive of campaign promises... one that speaks to, as YOUR OP says, "How is Harper Going to Pay for all His Promises?"

I've looked around and the Conservatives have promised almost nothing that's expensive. The biggest by far is the home renovation tax credit but they've made it contingent on a stronger economy.

Here is a listing from a very anti-Conservative media source. You'll note how little the Tories have promised, compared to the large, vague and uncosted promises of the Liberals and NDP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/21/a-look-at-promises-made-so-far-in-the-campaign-for-the-oct-19-election_n_8023380.html

Correct. And yes, the Conservatives are spending peanuts compared to the NDP/Liberals. Plus, the NDP's math doesn't even add up. $8 billion hole. no thanks

More seriously, I think it might be because the Liberals are campaigning on a platform of optimism, hope and strength, to differentiate themselves from the Tories 'We need to protect everything, because it's scary out there". "The global economy is slowing" doesn't exactly fit into the optimistic narrative.

That being said, I like optimism better than pessimism, even if things do look bad. :)

More seriously, I think it might be because the Liberals are campaigning on a platform of optimism, hope and strength, to differentiate themselves from the Tories 'We need to protect everything, because it's scary out there". "The global economy is slowing" doesn't exactly fit into the optimistic narrative.

That being said, I like optimism better than pessimism, even if things do look bad. :)

Yeah optimistic the Syrians are going to come en masse and definitely optimistic as the country plunges into the stone ages.

Yeah follow your leader as he sinks the damn place - just because he's optimistic.

Optimism is "Look at all the goodies! Don't worry about the economy out there or how we'll pay for them! Dig in, everyone, the party is on me! (well, on you, actually, but we won't mention that)

And yes, the Conservatives are spending peanuts compared to the NDP/Liberals. Plus, the NDP's math doesn't even add up. $8 billion hole. no thanks

can you please provide a cited reference to a fully costed breakout of the Harper Conservative 2015 election platform, inclusive of campaign promises... one that speaks to, as the OP says, "How is Harper Going to Pay for all His Promises?"

Yeah optimistic the Syrians are going to come en masse and definitely optimistic as the country plunges into the stone ages.

Yeah follow your leader as he sinks the damn place - just because he's optimistic.

:D You betcha! I understand the same fears about immigrants and refugees have been floated a number of times throughout our history, but we still speak English and White, male Canadians are still the major power brokers.

But just in case, how do I look in a niqab? :ph34r:

:D You betcha! I understand the same fears about immigrants and refugees have been floated a number of times throughout our history, but we still speak English and White, male Canadians are still the major power brokers.

But just in case, how do I look in a niqab? :ph34r:

If it were up to me, i'd ban everything covering someone's face. That shit belong at halloween parties. ;)

You of all people know that Harper has intentionally not released this.

:lol: good on ya for acknowledging it... so, you think it's "fair and balanced" to presume to broadly challenge an Opposition party costing in the absence of one provided by Harper Conservatives?

... and, per this OP, based on a single journalist's article... one that still hasn't been linked to properly within this thread to allow those without a G&M subscription to actually read it!

For the OP and anyone else who is interested .... Liberal Party's fully costed budget .. (obtained by googling "Liberal Fully Costed Budget)

https://www.liberal.ca/files/2015/09/The-Liberal-fiscal-plan-and-costing.pdf

The NDPs, for comparison (obtained by googling NDP fully costed budget) -- scroll down to download their document: http://www.ndp.ca/news/ndp-releases-balanced-fiscal-plan

The Conservatives ... ok, so I can't find one. Hmmm ....

Never mind, here are some helpful analysis (obtained by googling Conservative 2015 budget and Conservative Fully Costed budget). Presumably these people have some insider knowledge

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/federalbudget.html

http://www.3dpolicy.ca/node/286

https://cupe.ca/draft-budget-analysis

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-budget-2015-8-winners-in-the-conservative-pre-election-budget-1.3042921

I didn't read these last four links, no doubt they're biased different ways. But you know what they say, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Edited to fix link

Edited by dialamah

If it were up to me, i'd ban everything covering someone's face. That shit belong at halloween parties. ;)

But if you banned face covering, then even Halloween parties, and probably Halloween would have to be banned.

This is one of the reasons that general face covering bans are ludicrous, apart from the civil liberties issue.

Especially full beards! If there's anything that I don't like looking at, it's man's face all covered in hair! Let's see what you really look like, show some respect, what are you trying to hide?? :wacko:

Especially full beards! If there's anything that I don't like looking at, it's man's face all covered in hair! Let's see what you really look like, show some respect, what are you trying to hide?? :wacko:

Besides, all those ISIL fighters have full beards, so therefore to have a full beard makes one pretty damned suspect. Why would you want a full beard if you weren't an Islamist terrorist? Hmmm? HMMMM?

And what about guys with bling and Harleys. Clearly gangsters and bikers, criminals one and all.

And don't get me started on guys with expensive suits, worst criminals of all, Wall Street investment bankers!

Indeed we will, especially seniors who are now benefiting from the senior's income splitting which I understand Trudeau will remove although I haven't confirmed that. Add about another thousand in additional taxes such as carbon taxes and we are screwed.

They have, in their red book, promised that they won't eliminate seniors income splitting.

Now he's promising to fix the water problems on reserves, ok, im not against the idea, but that wasn't in the 'costed' plan. Billions more in spending, but he doesn't have to make any of this work, he just has to be nice, cuddly Justin, cuz Harper just isn't nice, and that's more important to some people than things like budgets, taxes, or reality.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/kady-omalley-trudeaus-pledge-to-clean-up-on-reserve-drinking-water-could-blow-a-hole-in-his-partys-proposed-budget

Edited by poochy

Now he's promising... Billions more in spending, but he doesn't have to make any of this work, he just has to be nice, cuddly Justin, cuz Harper just isn't nice, and that's more important to some people than things like budgets, taxes, or reality.

breaking promise... no, wait... make that, breaking news promise! Conservatives match Liberal pledge to extend parental leave to 18 months... how's Harper gonna pay for it, hey MLW member poochy?

Well I just heard him on the radio. Going to triple the money for LRT in Ottawa. Because he says harper and mulcair cant do it because they want a balance budget, and he is going to run it up.

For the OP and anyone else who is interested .... Liberal Party's fully costed budget .. (obtained by googling "Liberal Fully Costed Budget)

https://www.liberal.ca/files/2015/09/The-Liberal-fiscal-plan-and-costing.

Couldn't find it. I presume it was under the fiction, section, right, specifically Fantasy?

"We'll balance the budget by finding and eliminating government waste (which the Tories apparently couldn't find), and by improvements in our booming economy over the next several years!"

Suuuuuuure.