Tory candidates told to avoid debates, media during campaign

G Huxley

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/08/26/tory-candidates-told-to-avoid-debates-media-during-campaign.html

We just had an all candidates meeting here in Victoria. The Conservative Candidate had an empty chair with a teddy bear sitting in it and a microphone in front of it.

Has this happened in other poster's ridings?

Edited by G Huxley

You can't justify not taking part in Democracy by whining that the media is unfair to you.

I guess they shy away because it seems when they do they quite often put their foot in their mouth. Look what Moore just did with regard to the Terry Fox vote bribe, and that wasn't even a debate. Plus we have likely heard every mindless talking point over and over, already anyway.

I guess they shy away because it seems when they do they quite often put their foot in their mouth. Look what Moore just did with regard to the Terry Fox vote bribe, and that wasn't even a debate. Plus we have likely heard every mindless talking point over and over, already anyway.

The Terry Fox stunt doesn't even make sense to me. Moore isn't running, so why is he the one doling out campaign presents? The whole thing seemed so bizarrely tone deaf.

The Terry Fox stunt doesn't even make sense to me. Moore isn't running, so why is he the one doling out campaign presents? The whole thing seemed so bizarrely tone deaf.

Actually I had forgotten he was't running, but when I was reminded by a news report, I wondered if they picked him just in case the whole thing backfired, which of course it did. That way you cannot not vote for someone who is not on the ballot. I wouldn't put that type of strategising past them.

Actually I had forgotten he was't running, but when I was reminded by a news report, I wondered if they picked him just in case the whole thing backfired, which of course it did. That way you cannot not vote for someone who is not on the ballot. I wouldn't put that type of strategising past them.

But it didn't make Moore look bad, it really made the Tories look kind of shabby. Trying to politicize something like the Terry Fox cancer fundraising is so off base that it really makes me wonder at the quality of some of the Tories' strategists. It's one thing to say "The next Tory government will up cancer research by x amount of dollars", that's perfectly legitimate, but to directly target a specific charity in that way, and particularly one like Terry Fox, is so obviously crass.

Stay classy, Tory campaign.

But it didn't make Moore look bad, it really made the Tories look kind of shabby. Trying to politicize something like the Terry Fox cancer fundraising is so off base that it really makes me wonder at the quality of some of the Tories' strategists. It's one thing to say "The next Tory government will up cancer research by x amount of dollars", that's perfectly legitimate, but to directly target a specific charity in that way, and particularly one like Terry Fox, is so obviously crass.

Stay classy, Tory campaign.

Oh I didn't say it was good strategy, although I guess that's an understatement in light of the outcome. I just wonder if it wasn't aimed at their so called base, who they thought may not get how crass it was. But in any case I suspect there are some of those strategists you speak of being taken to the woodshed now.