Free Speech vs Hate Speech

Big Guy

I don't believe he classifies as a misogynist. I'm just saying he could be interpreted to be a misogynist based on some things he has said.

I still don't see how it's relevant to the discussion. It just seems like a weak attempt to troll lefty posters, which failed since most of them had never heard of Uygur.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched TYT quite a few times and I'm somewhat familiar with Cenk Uygur.

And I think that telling an anti-feminist woman to "go make him a sandwich" is the same kind of barb as telling female fundie Michelle Bachmann to "1 Timothy 2:12" during her short-lived Presidential campaign.

As for "#killallwhitemen" it was a popular satirical hashtag, not an actual genocidal campaign. For those not familiar with Twitter, putting a hashtag in your post links it to ongoing discussions with other people who follow that hashtag. #killallwhitemen was an ongoing comedy topic among snarky feminists who coined the term to make fun of the man-hater stereotype and the male butt-hurt directed at them.

-k

I've watched TYT quite a few times and I'm somewhat familiar with Cenk Uygur.

And I think that telling an anti-feminist woman to "go make him a sandwich" is the same kind of barb as telling female fundie Michelle Bachmann to "1 Timothy 2:12" during her short-lived Presidential campaign.

This was what I expected but I was going to give Euler the benefit of the doubt and try to consider the argument at face value anyway. It still didn't seem very relevant.

Edited by Evening Star

This was what I expected but I was going to give Euler the benefit of the doubt and try to consider the argument at face value anyway. It still didn't seem very relevant.

I'm asking for consistency for the people who are saying this Roosh V idiot should be banned from Canada. Cenk Uygur thinks that female pedophiles that rape boys should get no jail time. Should he be banned from Canada for his repulsive views?

I bet you if someone was well known to say that male pedophiles that rape girls should get no jail time, all the SJWs and 3rd-wave feminists would be complaining that this person should not be allowed into Canada and various politicians such as the mayors of Toronto and Montreal would be saying this person is not welcome.

But society has immense sexist double standards.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

I'm asking for consistency for the people who are saying this Roosh V idiot should be banned from Canada. Cenk Uygur thinks that female pedophiles that rape boys should get no jail time. Should he be banned from Canada for his repulsive views?

I bet you if someone was well known to say that male pedophiles that rape girls should get no jail time, all the SJWs and 3rd-wave feminists would be complaining that this person should not be allowed into Canada and various politicians such as the mayors of Toronto and Montreal would be saying this person is not welcome.

In the video, he and his co-host both clearly say that men and women should be treated the same in these situations and oppose the double standards that you mention. He was not talking about pedophilia, as I explained above, but about consensual sexual relationships between adult teachers and students who are 16 or 17, which is not even statutory rape in most jurisdictions in the US or Canada. And he is not arguing that this should go unpunished but he is saying that jail time is inappropriate. You can't be seriously equating this with Roosh V's views that any actual non-consensual rape should be legalized on private property?

Edited by Evening Star

In the video, he and his co-host both clearly say that men and women should be treated the same in these situations and oppose the double standards that you mention.

Cenk Uygur, like many SJWs and 3rd wave feminists, contains lots of cognitive dissonance. So he believes that he takes the position of equality while simultaneously taking positions that are inconsistent with sex-gender egalitarianism.

but about consensual sexual relationships between adult teachers and students who are 16 or 17

It's not consensual since the children aren't old enough to consent. Therefore it is rape.

You can't be seriously equating this with Roosh V's views that any actual non-consensual rape should be legalized on private property?

I'm not equating, I'm asking for consistency. Roosh V's views are stupid and it's easy to explain why they are wrong. But should we ban people for having opinions that don't make sense?

Edited by -1=e^ipi

As for "#killallwhitemen" it was a popular satirical hashtag, not an actual genocidal campaign. For those not familiar with Twitter, putting a hashtag in your post links it to ongoing discussions with other people who follow that hashtag. #killallwhitemen was an ongoing comedy topic among snarky feminists who coined the term to make fun of the man-hater stereotype and the male butt-hurt directed at them.

-k

I wonder how the world would respond to people posting under the "satirical" hashtags #killallblacks or #putwomenintheirplace. Would they appreciate the comedy?

I wonder how the world would respond to people posting under the "satirical" hashtags #killallblacks or #putwomenintheirplace. Would they appreciate the comedy?

Of course not. It would be 'proof' of patriarchy and white supremacy and any university student caught using that hashtag would be expelled.

age of consent should be 16 (which it is in Canada)

Not exactly. Our age of consent laws are more complex than that. People in positions of trust (teachers are in positions of trust) are held to the exploitation law (see: s. 153 CCC), which raises the age of consent to 18. Edited by cybercoma

Since you put "satirical" in quotes that means they're not really satirical, so how do you think that would pan out? :rolleyes:

I bet we could find lots of offensive Twitter hashtags that actually exist, and lots of them that aren't actually intended for comic effect either.

-k

Cenk Uygur, like many SJWs and 3rd wave feminists, contains lots of cognitive dissonance. So he believes that he takes the position of equality while simultaneously taking positions that are inconsistent with sex-gender egalitarianism.

That might be true, but you haven't proven that.

It's not consensual since the children aren't old enough to consent. Therefore it is rape.

hence the idea about changing the age of consent. Derp.
I'm not equating, I'm asking for consistency. Roosh V's views are stupid and it's easy to explain why they are wrong. But should we ban people for having opinions that don't make sense?
Because the content of those opinions is relevant.

Having finally watched that clip, I can honestly say the bolded is a complete crock.

• 4 weeks later...

What are you babbling about?

The only way to interpret what he said is that it's a right wing value to promote hatred and incite violence against identifiable and vulnerable groups, since that's how the laws he's ranting about are phrased. They don't mention leftwing or rightwing. They simply mention inciting violence and hatred. So I guess he interprets that to mean right wing speech.

I dunno about you, but if I identified with the political right, I would be pretty pissed at being characterized that way.

The left says it's tolerant.

Ann Coulter stopped from speaking.

That date guy stopped from speaking it they tried to.

Ron Ford shouted down numerous times.

A White Student Union not allowed in Canada. When they have unions for every other race creed and religion.

Yeah very tolerant. The left demands everyone else be tolerant except them. When was the last time a right wing speaker was allowed to speak on a campus in Canada?