UCCB payments - vote buying

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup curse those rightists spending money, investing in businesses which provide jobs, providing jobs, and saving in banks which helps fund people who need a loan. But they need to do more!

So you think only rightists spend money? Lot's of people from all over the political spectrum start, or invest in, businesses. Rightists tend to avail themselves of tax breaks and take the money offshore.

So you think only rightists spend money? Lot's of people from all over the political spectrum start, or invest in, businesses. Rightists tend to avail themselves of tax breaks and take the money offshore.

And yet it still benefits people. Jeez you people think centre right people stuff their money in a mattress and guard it with a shotgun

That depends on how much money you make. The less you make, the more you keep, making it a nicely progressive program. You should be thrilled.

That would require that he understand how progressive taxation works, which, given his answer when asked how much tax poor people pay was "I don't know" he doesn't.

Of course its the author who should be ashamed. The NDP will scrap income splitting which is even more regressive.

You have so clearly demonstrated your complete lack of understanding of progressive taxation and programs that you really should stop even trying to speak on topics addressing them.

Seems you have a little trouble with the word regressive.

My problem is with people whose ideology is so stultifying that they feel the need to take nonsensical positions on issues just to attack the other side.

You have attacked this because it will be clawed back by taxes for higher income earners, and at the same time for not being progressive. You're sputtering out of both sides of your mouth at once and looking idiotic.

My problem is with people whose ideology is so stultifying that they feel the need to take nonsensical positions on issues just to attack the other side.

You have attacked this because it will be clawed back by taxes for higher income earners, and at the same time for not being progressive. You're sputtering out of both sides of your mouth at once and looking idiotic.

Regressive taxes pose an inverse relationship of burden relative to ability to pay. As to the last part of your post, I'll leave that part up to you as ur much better at it.

Regressive taxes pose an inverse relationship of burden relative to ability to pay. As to the last part of your post, I'll leave that part up to you as ur much better at it.

Now you're talking about regressive taxes! Why? We don't have such in Canada and no one is suggesting we should!

Do you even know what the hell you're talking about?

Edited by Argus

I do, and we do, it's called income splitting.

The purpose of income splitting, which is also limited by income, in case you didn't know, was to help to equalize the taxation of families where one parent worked, with those where two parents worked. My new neighbour is an Arab guy who works two jobs and whose wife doesn't work. It will help him a lot.

The purpose of income splitting, which is also limited by income, in case you didn't know, was to help to equalize the taxation of families where one parent worked, with those where two parents worked. My new neighbour is an Arab guy who works two jobs and whose wife doesn't work. It will help him a lot.

It helps the wealthy much more than the poor. That makes it regressive, in case you didn't know.

That's a totally absurd, generalized statement.

It's not totally absurd at all. GST/HST refunds, child tax benefit payments, UCCB payments, social assistance/GIS payments, tax credits aimed at the working poor, etc, etc, etc, medical coverage for those on social assistance/and or catastrophic drug coverage, depending on the province. You have to make a rather large amount of money before you pay tax, especially if you have kids.

It helps the wealthy much more than the poor. That makes it regressive, in case you didn't know.

That is an absurd argument. ANY tax easement or cut will help the wealthy more than the poor simply because the poor don't pay taxes!

But in this case, the help to the 'wealthy' is extremely limited since this modified form of income splitting only allows for splitting up to $50,000.

I don't know about you, but I don't consider $50k as wealth. Maybe if the limit was $500,000 you'd have an argument, but as it stands, you're naked in the wind.

That's a totally absurd, generalized statement.

It's absolutely true. The bottom one third of wage earners don't even pay income taxes. Instead they get tax refunds, GST refunds, etc.

I, meanwhile, pay more than 50% on my income.

Edited by Argus

That is an absurd argument. ANY tax easement or cut will help the wealthy more than the poor simply because the poor don't pay taxes!

But in this case, the help to the 'wealthy' is extremely limited since this modified form of income splitting only allows for splitting up to $50,000.

I don't know about you, but I don't consider $50k as wealth. Maybe if the limit was $500,000 you'd have an argument, but as it stands, you're naked in the wind.

It benefits 15% of the population...regressive.

It benefits 15% of the population...regressive.

So you're actually not interested in any of the details or the logic or the reality, but just want to shout "REGRESSIVE" as if that's an argument? Okay. Wasting my time with you.

The Tories scheme of of getting votes through money to parent is finally being open to just that , a scheme for votes because many parents are awakening to the fact, they won't be keeping much of that money when tax time comes around and many are peeved off at the Tories. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/universal-child-care-benefit-ads-misleading-families-say-critics-1.3172927