Creativity and messiness

jacee

/the-science-of-why-the-most-creative-people-have-the-messiest-desks

Thus, people greatly preferred convention in the tidy room and novelty in the messy room.

A second experiment with 48 adults found that subjects in a messy environment came up with ideas "28% more creative" while creating a list of unconventional uses for ping pong balls, even though the two groups came up with the same number of ideas. Vohs argues the results are clear:

Messiness actually spurs creativity.

I have always believed that perfectly tidy people could not be very creative. Lol

Edited by jacee

I agree with jacee. During my days in education I found that those who had a gift of creativity appeared to deal with life in a very unstructured way. Their minds never appeared to be focussed at any one time on any one project. Their actions could hardly keep up with their ideas. While that can be a frustrating experience when attempting to deal with young people in your expectations as to meals, picking up after yourself, completion of assignments etc it becomes worth the effort once you see the results of these gifts.

I have dealt with others whose desks were a confused mess and later found out the reason was because they were basically slobs in everything they did.

I agree with jacee. During my days in education I found that those who had a gift of creativity appeared to deal with life in a very unstructured way. Their minds never appeared to be focussed at any one time on any one project. Their actions could hardly keep up with their ideas. While that can be a frustrating experience when attempting to deal with young people in your expectations as to meals, picking up after yourself, completion of assignments etc it becomes worth the effort once you see the results of these gifts.

I have dealt with others whose desks were a confused mess and later found out the reason was because they were basically slobs in everything they did.

Lol

One person's mess is another person's piling system, things located by chronology and action.

Are you a creative type, or does thinking creatively have to wait until all your pencils are in a tidy row?

And then it's too late?

I am quite creative. That doesn't mean I don't bother putting things away when I'm done with them.

Edited by Boges

/the-science-of-why-the-most-creative-people-have-the-messiest-desks

Thus, people greatly preferred convention in the tidy room and novelty in the messy room.

A second experiment with 48 adults found that subjects in a messy environment came up with ideas "28% more creative" while creating a list of unconventional uses for ping pong balls, even though the two groups came up with the same number of ideas. Vohs argues the results are clear:

Messiness actually spurs creativity.

I have always believed that perfectly tidy people could not be very creative. Lol

I am a little messy, but overall I keep my place tidy. Does not stop my creativity. :D