Political Instability in America

Although the media is portraying the election strife we're seeing today as a reaction to the events of 2000, I'm not so sure.

For some reason, American voters are very angry about what's going on right now. It's just just the war, or the economy, either. It seems to proceed from a deeply held image that people have of their country. Voters are seeing that image tarnished and are blaming the "other" political side.

No matter who wins the election today, there will be a hangover of suspicion, and even more distrust of public institutions.

I hope I"m wrong.

Although the media is portraying the election strife we're seeing today as a reaction to the events of 2000, I'm not so sure.

For some reason, American voters are very angry about what's going on right now. It's just just the war, or the economy, either. It seems to proceed from a deeply held image that people have of their country. Voters are seeing that image tarnished and are blaming the "other" political side.

No matter who wins the election today, there will be a hangover of suspicion, and even more distrust of public institutions.

I hope I"m wrong.

But I tend to doubt you will be....

For some reason, American voters are very angry about what's going on right now.  It's just just the war, or the economy, either.  It seems to proceed from a deeply held image that people have of their country.  Voters are seeing that image tarnished and are blaming the "other" political side.

I hope I"m wrong.

Slavik44....is this more of your brilliant analysis?

Michael....do you think this is being engineered to discredit our public institutions? I do .

40 years ago public was a good word - now if you listen to CanWest Global, Gordon Gibson, and Alberta, it is a dirty word.

I think that there's something to that, but I also think that in many cases public institutions deserve the criticism.

But much of the reason for their ineptitude is traced to politics also, IMO.

Those governments who take 'pot shots' at institutions shouldn't be surprised, though, when other institutions suffer as well. In other words, what's good for the Federal Dept. of Goose, is good for the Federal Department of Gander.

Or something like that...

Exactly. The ideological disdain for government exhibited by some people is often internally inconsistent ... police yes, regulators no; yes to armies, no to diplomats. For some it seems to boil down to mere whimsy as to what is proper government and what is too much.

Why protection against pickpockets is seen to be more valid than protection against financial misrepresentation or poisoning a watershed is unclear.

For some reason, American voters are very angry about what's going on right now.  It's just just the war, or the economy, either.  It seems to proceed from a deeply held image that people have of their country.  Voters are seeing that image tarnished and are blaming the "other" political side.

I hope I"m wrong.

Slavik44....is this more of your brilliant analysis?

Michael....do you think this is being engineered to discredit our public institutions? I do .

40 years ago public was a good word - now if you listen to CanWest Global, Gordon Gibson, and Alberta, it is a dirty word.

I never claim to give brilliant analysis, but from what I look at I would tend to agree that there will be a hangover of suspicion in America even after the election. Before the election even started there were already lawsuits filed, that idicates to me there will a political hangover of mistrust between parties. Besides that look around you ask soemone on the street, there is a disconnection between the people and their politicians creating a distrust of public institutions. So yes I would tend to agree with what was stated above. Do you ahve a problem with me giving my opinions on a web discussion board about politics?

Cry me a river!
I'm glad to see you back, Maple Syrup.

I disagree often with you. But I will defend your right to be here in the future. (Blame me for not defending you more.)

This American election is interesting around the world. (I know because I have spoken to Russians, for example.)

I enjoyed more our Canadian June election:

-Birds in a bush, kerry the birds?

Noisy but boring.

-----

-Harper vs. PM PM?

Genuine, interesting but boring, complicated.

For example. I believe in French Canada and its way to do things. Much more interesting. More significant.

The Yanks make a big noisy deal. The Europeans (and Lebanese/Israelis) too - big noisy deal. But we Canadians have the real goods and no one notices.

Les Québécois are democratic, honest. Go figure.