Man should go back to the moon soon.

We must explore first-hand space.

........after we work out more pressing problems here on earth.

But we could find things in space, that could help to solve our problems on earth

Like what?

I don't know yet. But when we go, we could find something unexpected. Like when Apollo 17 moon walker Jack Schmitt discovered orange soil unexpectably. We could find something unexpected that could be good for all mankind.

I don't know yet. But when we go, we could find something unexpected. Like when Apollo 17 moon walker Jack Schmitt discovered orange soil unexpectably. We could find something unexpected that could be good for all mankind.

hmmmmm

"Orange soil" or Healthcare

"Orange soil" or increased defence spending

"Orange soil" or Tax breaks and a stronger economy

As has been suggested Blue, go find a bank and/or investors that will give you bilions of dollars in the hopes of finding "orange soil"

When you look at the benefits mankind gets from an undertaking like going to the moon, I believe it is not the destination, it is the journey that is most important.

What did we actually gain from putting somebody on the moon? Some geological samples.

What did we gain from the journey? Technological and scientific advances that have impacted our lives in more ways than bringing home some moon-rocks could.

Or, read about the incredible B-70 Valkyrie bomber. It is amazing to consider that they created a plane that weighs more than a B52 and travels faster than any jet-fighter in the world right now... and they did it 40 years ago. The goal-- a replacement for the B52-- was never achieved. But the journey yielded breakthroughs in aerodynamics and manufacturing techniques that were valuable to the aviation industry.

With that in mind... is there anything we could learn from going to Mars that we didn't already learn by putting a man on the moon? Personally, I kind of doubt it. It would be a lot the same, wouldn't it? Same challenges, different scale. I would imagine, at least.

If we're looking for something to reach for, let's pick something that will give us expertise at something we're not very good at yet. We already know how to cram Tang and bottled oxygen onto space capsules. I don't know if travelling to Mars has anything new we can learn.

-kimmy

• 2 weeks later...
A moon base isn't that unrealistic now. There could be an international effort to build a small moon base. Civilian purposes, not military.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the USA does have a spy base up there already.

Maybe we could ship our garbage up there and clean up the world. Tell Bush there is oil; he would be there in a flash.

The recent observation that have found methane on Mars give you new significance to the lure of space. It is suggestive, apparently, of microbial life under the permafrost there.

However, it is interesting that the discovery was made through observations from Earth and they could not be made from spacecraft so it is said. Something to do with the atmosphere there.

We should send Parrish to Mars, make it a one way ticket.

But seriously we should get an international co-operative effort to go to Mars. We've done it before the ISS, and we can do it again with a mission to Mars.

Space should only be for civilian/scienetific purposes, not military.