Oscar Pestorius by Judge Not Jury

Which has to do with what, exactly? I get it, though. You're happy for him. You've basically made it clear all along you have no issue with violence against women and he's one of you.

Stopped beating your wife yet ?

Dont be an asshole.

I have no joy in violence, domestic or not.

But I did follow some of this, especially the cock up the prosecution did with the evidence, couple that with other details, the level of violence the avg person in SA has to live with, and well.....I see something that isnt kosher.

The Judge, far more educated than you, saw things that raised reasonable doubt. I am unsure if you even know what reasonable doubt is.

Lemme guess...Hurricane Carter should have hung from the gallows instead of living a free life in Toronto?

Edited by Guyser2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I did follow some of this, especially the cock up the prosecution did with the evidence, couple that with other details, the level of violence the avg person in SA has to live with, and well.....I see something that isnt kosher.

Just like those people who insist the CIA or the Jews blew up the world trade center buildings, eh?

Believe what you like. He's pond scum, vermin that moves on its belly leaving a trail of slime behind. He'll get his one way or another, and hopefully it's painful and fatal.

Edited by Argus

Just like those people who insist the CIA or the Jews blew up the world trade center buildings, eh?

WTF are you talking about?

Or is this a case of you having no clue, judging by that comment, along w the I love violence one, I suspect you dont.

DO tell me about the door then.

Believe what you like.

Ok, he isnt a murderer no matter how much youd like him to be.

I like justice, it will be done, including this case.

He will go to jail, that much I know.

I won a bet on the verdict here. Far too many doubts about "ear witness accounts" for one thing as well as weakness in the prosecution case. I'm gonna double down on my 2 bucks that he gets the low end of the sentencing scale available. He was IMO negligent in opening up with his gun, but I can understand he may have been panicky, especially if you have any experience with living in that crime riddled city.

I was impressed with the judges knowledge of the law and how she applied it, contrary to what our resident racist jerk has to say.

In Oscar's case, both sides had the opportunity to state their cases. There was international coverage of what went on.

The verdict did not say he was innocent, it indicated that the prosecution did not prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that he was guilty of murder. There are other penalties that can now be applied depending on the options available to the judge. Justice has been served in South Africa under the South African justice system.

He's the same as OJ Simpson. Got mad at his wife (girlfriend), killed her, and got away with it.

Did he get away with it? He had an option early in the trial to plead temporary insanity or lesser charge. Interesting that he used the same method to kill as did those ISIS guys on those American journalists. He would have pleaded guilty, got a sentence that (with good behaviour) would get him out in 5 years about the year 2000. He would then be in a position to become a born again advocate for whatever and be accepted back into the American society and able to cash in on his previous professional football career.

Instead, he was found "not guilty" and quickly became a pariah and radioactive to all. His children went through hell and after another trial Simpson was stripped of most of his money or potential earnings. His life continued to spiral downwards and in September 2007, Simpson was arrested in Las Vegas Nevada, and charged with numerous felonies, including armed robbery and kidnapping. In 2008, he was found guilty and sentenced to 33 years' imprisonment, with a minimum of nine years without parole. He is serving his sentence at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Lovelock Nevada.

He may have been acquitted of murder in 1995 but subsequent events indicate that justice was eventually served.

I do not think that he "got away with it".

Again I have not read theactual Judge's decision but she seems to have stated (according to the press) that she did not believe witnesses and instead preferred her own version of events that the screams of a high pitched voice were not the girl friend but Oscar P.

it appears she believed his defence that he panicked and killed her in a panic which could make it culpable homicide but not deliberate homicide in South Africa which opens him up to a civil law suit but I am not sure about a jail sentence for that lesser charge. He could in theory still be convicted of being in illegal possession of fire arms which I believe in South Africa does warrant a jail sentence but could also be treated with probation and/or fine as well.

Me personally, I have a hard time believing he panicked. For me there was inconsistency in his testimony, in fact a direct contradiction where he stated he had no intention of shooting to one where he did.

I would be interested to see if its appealed.

From what I gather as much as I hate the Judge's decision she did feel she had sufficient reasonable doubt. It doesn't have to be much more than SOME or ANY doubt at all to get him off.

If she had ANY doubt at all, she would be compelled under S Africa law to find him not guilty. That criminal standard of proof is the same in Canada or the US which would of course explain why OJ could walk on his criminal charges but be found liable on his civil charges.

In criminal law you must show beyond reasonable doubt in civil law only on the balance of probabilities then in civil law it switches to the defendant to say they were not liable beyond reasonable doubt which Petorious could not do in civil case.

He could be sued in civil court for the tort of wrongful death just like OJ. In fact the civil court could use the OJ civil case as its so similar in principle although technically you don't go outside S African civil cases unless you have to when looking for cases to argue your point.

In civil court the Plaintif, the deceased's family can sue him saying he acted negligently and there is reasonable grounds for that argument. They could use the criminal transcripts if he was lying to show he admitted h killed her panicking as he said with guns he should not have had which establishes the negligence in a civil suit.

So I think the family can sue him for wrongful death like the family did OJ and get money as he gets a lot of residuals from commercials and endorsements from the past. I am sure his future endorsement power will shrivel or disappear.

Not that a civil law suit will bring solace to the deceased family but its something.

The other thing is he may have got away with it but not in the minds of the public. It many ways he would probably have been better off in jailt hen now being released to the public who will scorn him until he dies like OJ.

This guy already had what we call a borderline personality, i.e., living on the edge. He will self destruct with drinking, dangerous behaviour and anger.

In fact it would not surprise me a flock of women will be attracted to him now thinking they can reform the poor misunderstood boy, and he will beat the crap out of one of them.

Edited by Rue

I won a bet on the verdict here. Far too many doubts about "ear witness accounts" for one thing as well as weakness in the prosecution case. I'm gonna double down on my 2 bucks that he gets the low end of the sentencing scale available. He was IMO negligent in opening up with his gun, but I can understand he may have been panicky, especially if you have any experience with living in that crime riddled city.

Riiight. There was so much crime within his guarded, gated community!

Did he get away with it? He had an option early in the trial to plead temporary insanity or lesser charge. Interesting that he used the same method to kill as did those ISIS guys on those American journalists. He would have pleaded guilty, got a sentence that (with good behaviour) would get him out in 5 years about the year 2000. He would then be in a position to become a born again advocate for whatever and be accepted back into the American society and able to cash in on his previous professional football career.

Instead, he was found "not guilty" and quickly became a pariah and radioactive to all. His children went through hell and after another trial Simpson was stripped of most of his money or potential earnings. His life continued to spiral downwards and in September 2007, Simpson was arrested in Las Vegas Nevada, and charged with numerous felonies, including armed robbery and kidnapping. In 2008, he was found guilty and sentenced to 33 years' imprisonment, with a minimum of nine years without parole. He is serving his sentence at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Lovelock Nevada.

He may have been acquitted of murder in 1995 but subsequent events indicate that justice was eventually served.

I do not think that he "got away with it".

Sure, we have different interpretations of the meaning of the phrase, "got away with it".

The girlfriend's relatives could carve Oscar Pistorius up with chainsaws, the verdict would remain the same.

I can't imagine the judge buying his version of events.

It looks like she did and I thought it might go that way. However, he will spend sometime in prison. It may not be enough to satisfy the victim's family, however, I do think he will do time. Personally, I think he should spend the rest of his natural life in prison.

Well now that would make a sterling defence wouldn't it? He couldn't have shot her because she was pretty. Also, usually us non rednecks refer to people not as "that".

More of a rhetorical point. Nice to break forum rules by calling me a redneck though. :P

The first point I made is legit though. South Africa is not Canada much more violent.

He'll serve multiple years in prison.

Could the prosecution even prove intent? Were they having trouble?

Edited by Boges