Justin Trudeau kicks all "Liberal" Senators out of Caucus.

Boges

It shows that the Liberal senators will have independance from the PMO if (when) he becomes PM. This has been a huge problem for the current PM... it has been shown that his office pulls the strings of his Conservative puppets in the senate. In one announcement, Trudeau has removed that issue and put it all on Harper.

Senators are no more controlled by the PMO when in the governing party's caucus than when out of it. Senators don't have to follow the prime minister's diktat; a number of Conservative senators have proven that to be true. Harper's "puppets" in the Senate voluntarily made themselves such, as much as any present Liberal senator can be Trudeau's puppet.

It shows that he has acted and taken leadership on the senate issue. Unlike Harper.

Perhaps. But, he acted in the exact manner he criticises Harper for.

England appoints senators by committee.

It's the United Kingdom and the government there appoints lords.

[ed.: fix quote]

Edited by g_bambino

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall reading anyone speaking to a party "relationship" uncoupling... other than removing the attendance/participation of Liberal Senators from the Liberal caucus, just what do you interpret the decision to be/to encompass?

The point is, as I have stated previously, this is a meaningless PR move that will do nothing to actually "uncouple' as you say, the relationship between Liberal MPs and senators.

The point is, as I have stated previously, this is a meaningless PR move that will do nothing to actually "uncouple' as you say, the relationship between Liberal MPs and senators.

you didn't answer the question; again, "other than removing the attendance/participation of Liberal Senators from the Liberal caucus, just what do you interpret the decision to be/to encompass?"

and while you're answering that one, has there been any suggestion from Trudeau (from any official Liberal Party member/spokesperson), that this action was intended to do, or represent, anything other than removing Liberal Senator presence/participation from the official Liberal Party caucus?

you didn't answer the question; again, "other than removing the attendance/participation of Liberal Senators from the Liberal caucus, just what do you interpret the decision to be/to encompass?"

I answered the question. It just wasn't the answer you wanted.

I guess you'll just have to deal with that.

It was Trudeau's joke, actually.

There's very little funny about Justin. His father had both brains and humor, even if his impact was harmful. Justin is all harm, no brains at all.

There's very little funny about Justin. His father had both brains and humor, even if his impact was harmful. Justin is all harm, no brains at all.

Yes, Trudeau, and the halffwits who seem to be running his party make it impossible to vote Liberal, despite my growing dissafection for the Harper government.

Yes, Trudeau, and the halffwits who seem to be running his party make it impossible to vote Liberal, despite my growing dissafection for the Harper government.

I feel like a voter without a party, since the Liberals make it impossible to vote for them and the NDP still insists on trying to be the only federation on the planet without a bicameral system. I seriously may vote Green Party in the next election for that reason alone. Edited by cybercoma

I feel like a voter without a party, since the Liberals make it impossible to vote for them and the NDP still insists on trying to be the only federation on the planet without a bicameral system. I seriously may vote Green Party in the next election for that reason alone.

That's not an option for me as I hate these environmental types who ignore economic realities. Maybe there'll be an independent running, but who knows.

Andrew Coyne on the Liberal convention

This is not a “new” or “reinvented” Liberal party; it is not even the centrist party of recent memory. From the evidence of the convention, it is an almost parodically left-wing party, and even if, as expected, the leader ignores most of the members’ handiwork in drafting the platform, what has been coming out of his own mouth is not hugely dissimilar: a difference more of degree than direction.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/02/21/andrew-coyne-if-the-liberal-partys-strategy-was-to-reinvent-itself-its-not-working/

That's not an option for me as I hate these environmental types who ignore economic realities. Maybe there'll be an independent running, but who knows.

Andrew Coyne on the Liberal convention

This is not a “new” or “reinvented” Liberal party; it is not even the centrist party of recent memory. From the evidence of the convention, it is an almost parodically left-wing party, and even if, as expected, the leader ignores most of the members’ handiwork in drafting the platform, what has been coming out of his own mouth is not hugely dissimilar: a difference more of degree than direction.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/02/21/andrew-coyne-if-the-liberal-partys-strategy-was-to-reinvent-itself-its-not-working/

I suspect that what Canada wants is a center-left and center-right alternative among which to alternate. Sort of like Reagan and Clinton on our side of the border.

For me, at least, that would be the sweet spot.

I suspect that what Canada wants is a center-left and center-right alternative among which to alternate. Sort of like Reagan and Clinton on our side of the border.

For me, at least, that would be the sweet spot.

No thanks. Two party system sustains a populace divided against itself, so it serves corporate agendas and control better, but not people.

We like to mix it up a little more with 3+ parties. Proportional rep. will mix it up even more so political parties will actually have to work together on our behalf. Imagine that!

JBG, Canadians do get tired of explaining to Americans that we choose to remain Canadian. We've been explaining it since 1776! It's a derail tactic.

Edited by jacee

No thanks. Two party system sustains a populace divided against itself, so it serves corporate agendas and control better, but not people.

We like to mix it up a little more with 3+ parties. Proportional rep. will mix it up even more so political parties will actually have to work together on our behalf. Imagine that!

JBG, Canadians do get tired of explaining to Americans that we choose to remain Canadian. We've been explaining it since 1776! It's a derail tactic.

No, he's correct. All our succesful governments have alternated around that centre left/right area. Canadians are not comfortable with extremes, which is why only the two centrist parties have ever had any chance of winning. I think Trudeau is moving further to the left, though, to outflank the NDP. If it's too far to the left his pretty hair won't be able to carry the day.

Proportional representation winds up creating a multitude of coalitions which exclude vox populi even more. How much has policy really changed in Italy, Germany, France, Denmark, Norway, Sweden or even Israel since 1950 or so.

What is "Canadian" about proportional representation or coalitions.Borden brought you the only coalition you have had and if I read history correctly it was rather divisive. I am trying to promote, not derail the discussion.