Do Temporary Foreign Workers need more protection ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tim-hortons-wage-theft-claim-prompts-call-for-police-probe-1.2454706

The B.C. Federation of Labour wants police to investigate the owner of a Tim Hortons in Fernie, B.C., after two former workers accused him of cheating them out of overtime pay.

CBC News has interviewed nearly half a dozen employees with a similar story at the Tim Hortons in Fernie, but cannot identify them, because they fear losing their jobs and being sent back to the Philippines.

There seems to be a natural disadvantage for such workers. If we're bringing in more of them, shouldn't Canada boost protections and employment inspection ? That seems to be minimally fair, doesn't it ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tim-hortons-wage-theft-claim-prompts-call-for-police-probe-1.2454706

There seems to be a natural disadvantage for such workers. If we're bringing in more of them, shouldn't Canada boost protections and employment inspection ? That seems to be minimally fair, doesn't it ?

On the one hand a lot of people will demand that all Canadians be employed before any foreign workers be employed, but this ignores the reality that a lot of unemployed workers simply don't want to move or take the jobs that are available, due to a sense of entitlement or because EI is simply easier than working a different job. Or they are unable or unqualified for other reasons. On the other hand it's possible employers will simply use the TFW program to get cheaper labor when Canadian labor is available. The best solution IMO would be simply require that the foreign workers be paid as well as Canadians. This allows for foreign workers when you can't get domestic, but helps to make sure you've got to really need the foreigners as the cost in hiring them is higher (transportation, paperwork etc).

We already have protections in Ontario. They'd submit a claim to the ministry of labour via an employments standard form.

the reality that a lot of unemployed workers simply don't want to move or take the jobs that are available

The reality is so simple, right? It may not be that unemployed people with families may not have the means to move or anything. It's such a simple thing to pack everything up and go somewhere else.

The reality is so simple, right? It may not be that unemployed people with families may not have the means to move or anything. It's such a simple thing to pack everything up and go somewhere else.

No life decisions are simple....for anybody. That doesn't mean it's justified to avoid them at significant cost to other taxpayers.

I'm aware of that, but there are barriers there for foreign workers I think. At a minimum, we need to be aware that this problem is happening.

I guess there might be barriers. But all they need to do is go to ServiceOntario to pick up the application package.

We already have protections in Ontario. They'd submit a claim to the ministry of labour via an employments standard form.

There's a lot of fear out there in the world of employment. Employers are demanding more for less all the time. I was talking to someone at Health Canada the other day, and after laying off half their clerks, one area has been pressuring lower level staff to work overtime, even come in on weekends - at no pay. Some of them have even been complying rather than going to the union. I know a mechanic who works for a dealership who routinely works a ten hour day, five days a week, and lately his employer has been pressuring him to work more.

I think we should start looking into better protection for Canadian workers before worrying about foreign workers.

No life decisions are simple....for anybody. That doesn't mean it's justified to avoid them at significant cost to other taxpayers.

I think you miss my point, since you continue to characterize it as people "avoiding" them. It shows your character when you can't imagine anything other than people just shirking their responsibilities and being lazy. Fact of the matter is that many people aren't in a position to move. Unless they have a job lined up guaranteed for them, it's often times an impossible expense.

Guest Derek L

I think you miss my point, since you continue to characterize it as people "avoiding" them. It shows your character when you can't imagine anything other than people just shirking their responsibilities and being lazy. Fact of the matter is that many people aren't in a position to move. Unless they have a job lined up guaranteed for them, it's often times an impossible expense.

Exactly......isn't cheap to pick-up and move across the country, especially for a job that pays close to the minimum wage........

Perhaps this is reason enough to look towards creating a program (Say through EI) that could subsidize a family move to parts of the country with more employment opportunities……I can’t imagine it would cost taxpayers more then keeping a family in abject poverty in an area with little prospects for gainful employment.

Guest Derek L

That's actually a pretty good idea and theoretically it could be negotiated to come from EI.

Exactly, just doing a rough calculation, somebody getting ~$1500 a month on EI (for 9 month limit?) could elect to take this option, and through Service Canada/Job Bank etc, could demonstrate they have a job offer on the other end of the country and use several months of EI payments to pay for the move and get the family set-up in their new location……..less long term strain on EI……a better endgame for the family…..good for job shortages and would reduce the reliance on foreign workers.
I would simply borrow from the current program that subsidizes moves within the Canadian Forces….

I think we should start looking into better protection for Canadian workers before worrying about foreign workers.

I think it's all handled by the same people, though. Helping people to know about the existence of this program, and helping the public know their processing turnaround, caseload etc. can help the situation. Furthermore, why do the taxpayers need to fund this service at all ? Shouldn't it be funded by those companies who require that the service exists ?

The police use criminal assets for their funding too.

Guest Derek L

I think it's all handled by the same people, though. Helping people to know about the existence of this program, and helping the public know their processing turnaround, caseload etc. can help the situation. Furthermore, why do the taxpayers need to fund this service at all ? Shouldn't it be funded by those companies who require that the service exists ?

The police use criminal assets for their funding too.

A very good point………For many white collar positions, and from my understanding even trade positions up in Northern BC & Alberta, some companies will pay for relocation and even signing bonus…….And from personal experience, take care of legal and administrative work required to work in another country….
Is this viable for a Tim Horton’s looking for coffee server? I don’t know, but if the Government is to subsidize such things, in my view, investing the money in Canadians should be first priority.