Southern Slavery Turns White People Into Republicans 150 Years Later

Mighty AC

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=ids&document=index〈=e#three

See option 2. There is no government issued picture ID required.

Option 3 you can have nothing, as long as you swear an oath and have another voter who knows you vouch for you. They must have ID... the voter does not need ID.

I'm not sure but I don't recall ever needing ID where I vote, I think the only thing I have to show is my voter registration card. Is my polling station breaking the law?

Edited by Moonlight Graham

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some sort of ID is required (many of the choices do have pictures) + a document addressed to the voter from some official organization - something which can be tough for a poor person to get.

But ID is required which is my point. You cannot vote in Canada without ID although a neighbor with ID can vouch for 1 voter who has no ID. Again - not a requirement that can easily be met by poor people who generally associate with people who have the same ID problems that they do.

You cannot walk into a voting place and cast a vote without providing evidence of who you are (even if that evidence is provided by a neighbor with ID willing to sign a legal oath). The distinction between the different types of ids and whether it is government issued picture id or not is irrelevant. Id is the requirement yet we see Canadian lefties berating Republicans for bringing in laws which left wing Canadians are fine with. raging hypocrisy.

You're being purposely thick-headed and changing the definition of ID and changing the issue that is of concern.

Let me spell it out for you...

The issue of concern is that lawmakers in the USA are making it more difficult to vote by requiring state issued gov't ID. The list of acceptable ID is very limited...

You claim Canada does this too. It does not.

2 pieces of mail does NOT constitute an ID.

Your neighbour George showing ID and vouching for you does not constitute ID for the person who is voting. To say otherwise borders on stupid.

Try and read the Elections Canada website more thoroughly... the link is above.

I find this occurs with several posters on this forum every time voter ID issues come up. They claim Canada needs ID... I show them the elections Canada website... then the definition ID suddenly gets changed to include things like utility bills!

When I point out a voter can use someone who can vouch for them (they have to have ID), then they say, "well someone had to show ID for them to vote"... it just didn't happen to be the voter... hence, no ID is required to vote.

This silliness goes on and on... and on... and on...

This is a case of "Moving the goalposts (raising the bar) – argument in which evidence presented in response to a specific claim is dismissed and some other (often greater) evidence is demanded." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

I'm not sure but I don't recall ever needing ID where I vote, I think the only thing I have to show is my voter registration card. Is my polling station breaking the law?

If you have a voter reg card, you are already on the voters list for your polling area and must have produced ID to get on it at some time in the past.

If you move, you will again have to provide ID with address, to get on the right list.

Edited by jacee

If you have a voter reg card, you are already on the voters list for your polling area and must have produced ID to get on it at some time in the past.

If you move, you will again have to provide ID with address, to get on the right list.

Ok thank you. However, what is preventing someone from stealing my card, or me giving/selling my card to someone else, if I don't have to prove to the polling station that I am the same person on the registration card?

Also, doesn't everyone need a voter registration card? How else is a worker at a polling station going to know if you're eligible to vote in Canada or not, even if they have some kind of ID? Non-citizens can show a hydro bill and a credit card statement to show their identity.

You're being purposely thick-headed and changing the definition of ID and changing the issue that is of concern.

No you are. I have been taking about the need for ID.

Option 2 still requires government issued ID that may not have a photo - but you need something with an address in addition to this ID.

Option 3 requires something with ID to swear for you.

What is happening in the US is Republicans motivated mainly by concerns over illegal immigration decide that proving who you are at the polls is a good thing to do. The democrats, instead of working to find a compromise similar to what Canada has, choose to call Republicans racists demand that no ID be required to vote.

This, of course, makes republicans think democrats are out to manipulate the system with masses on ineligible voters which makes them even more insistent that ID laws are a must.

The irony is seeing Canadian lefties berating Republicans while they live in a country where everyone accepts that ID is required.

The irony is seeing Canadian lefties berating Republicans while they live in a country where everyone accepts that ID is required.

So these new laws in the USA will allow citizens to bring in mail for the purposes of identifying themselves?

They can have a neighbour vouch for them?

Is that what you are claiming?

So these new laws in the USA will allow citizens to bring in mail for the purposes of identifying themselves?

You can't in Canada. You need government issued ID that may or may not have a photo. Go back and read the list of acceptable ID.

As for the the neighbor with government ID swearing for exactly one voter - that is a compromise that the democrats should be working for instead screaming racism.

Edited by TimG

You can't in Canada. You need government issued ID that may or may not have a photo.

Bank cards are not gov't issued.

Or you can bring in a hydro bill and a telephone bill and you can vote.

Where is the gov't issued ID? Why are you having trouble understanding this?

Bank cards are not gov't issued.

Or you can bring in a hydro bill and a telephone bill and you can vote.

Where is the gov't issued ID? Why are you having trouble understanding this?

Likely because it isn't quite correct:

To vote, you must prove your identity and address. You have three options:

Option 1

Show one original piece of identification with your photo, name and address. It must be issued by a government agency.Example: driver's licence.

Option 2

Show two original pieces of authorized identification. Both pieces must have your name and one must also have your address.Example: health card (photo) and hydro bill (address)

Option 3

Take an oath and have an elector who knows you vouch for you. This person must have authorized identification and be from the same polling division as you. This person can only vouch for one person. Examples: a neighbour, your roommate.

Likely because it isn't quite correct:

To vote, you must prove your identity and address. You have three options:

Option 1

Show one original piece of identification with your photo, name and address. It must be issued by a government agency.Example: driver's licence.

Option 2

Show two original pieces of authorized identification. Both pieces must have your name and one must also have your address.Example: health card (photo) and hydro bill (address)

Option 3

Take an oath and have an elector who knows you vouch for you. This person must have authorized identification and be from the same polling division as you. This person can only vouch for one person. Examples: a neighbour, your roommate.

One must have your address... but you can show two that have your address... There isn't a requirement that ONLY one must have your address... so showing 2 bills is fine.

One must have your address... but you can show two that have your address... There isn't a requirement that ONLY one must have your address... so showing 2 bills is fine.

No.

One has to prove your identity (name & photo), and one has to prove your address (name & address).

A driver's licence does all 3.

A health card and a piece of mail (utility bill) does all 3.

Two pieces of somebody's mail doesn't prove your identity and isn't good enough.

IE, you have to produce official photo ID to get on the voters' list, or be vouched for by someone who has official photo ID.

Edited by jacee

You do not need photo ID to vote.

A bank card (no picture, not gov't issued) and a phone bill would be acceptable.

A phone bill and a hydro bill would be acceptable.

In BC, you can bring in a prescription bottle as a form of ID. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/election+Names+prescription+pill+bottles+acceptable+form+vote/8219199/story.html

Edited by The_Squid

You do not need photo ID to vote.

A bank card (no picture, not gov't issued) and a phone bill would be acceptable.

A phone bill and a hydro bill would be acceptable.

In BC, you can bring in a prescription bottle as a form of ID. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/election+Names+prescription+pill+bottles+acceptable+form+vote/8219199/story.html

Not for federal elections.

Please read the federal rules I posted above.

Only an authorized photo ID proves your identity. Mail proves your address.

Edited by jacee

Not for federal elections.

Please read the federal rules I posted above.

Only an authorized photo ID proves your identity. Mail proves your address.

No. You are wrong and don't seem to comprehend what you've read on the elections Canada website.

No. You are wrong and don't seem to comprehend what you've read on the elections Canada website.

Sounds clear to me, for federal.

Edited by jacee

YOU CAN PRESENT TWO NON-PHOTO IDS IF YOU DON’T HAVE PHOTO IDENTIFICATION Both must contain your name and at least one must contain your address. - See more at: http://www.atchison.ca/html/vote/ID/index.cfm#sthash.YVraKK1y.dpuf

lol. Oh boy....

Did you notice the options and list was exactly the same as the Elections Canada website?

produce two pieces of non-photo ID showing your name and address,

http://www.thestar.com/news/politics/federalelection/2008/10/14/even_if_you_arent_registered_you_can_vote.html

Now you have no reason to be ignorant of the voter ID laws....

Could you just not have read the Elections Canada website? It's really clear... Are you being purposely obtuse?

You're getting bogged down in technicalities. The fact is you can get someone, a neighbor, to swear you are who you are and be allowed to vote. I don't believe the new US voter ID requirements have that option. And regardless, the new requirements are specifically motivated by the desire to disinfranchise Democrat voters, mostly poor people.

The Republicans, after all, only represent the wealthy. They have no desire to let poor people vote.

lol. Oh boy....

Did you notice the options and list was exactly the same as the Elections Canada website?

http://www.thestar.com/news/politics/federalelection/2008/10/14/even_if_you_arent_registered_you_can_vote.html

Now you have no reason to be ignorant of the voter ID laws....

Could you just not have read the Elections Canada website? It's really clear...

It's really clear ... that you can't just use two pieces of mail as you claimed earlier:

The Squid: Or you can bring in a hydro bill and a telephone bill and you can vote.

However, Argus is right that the issue is that we do have more options in Canada for proving identity and residency than in the US, and that does tend to disproportionately and effectively disenfranchise lower income people there.

And regardless, the new requirements are specifically motivated by the desire to disinfranchise Democrat voters, mostly poor people.

Complete BS. Requiring ID is the normal expectation for something like voting and if it is not required then that is a gap that needs to be closed. If the Republicans noticed this issue recently it is most likely because of the illegal immigration issue.

But the democrats who instead of acting like mature adults and negotiate a system similar to Canada they make up crap about such laws being "racist" and insist that no ID should be required.

If requiring ID is acceptable for lefties in Canada it should be acceptable for the US. The 'no id should be required' democrats are the ones who are truly in the wrong. If the republicans laws go too far the democrats have only themselves to blame because they refused to stake out a middle ground and made the republicans seems reasonable on this point.

Edited by TimG

Complete BS. Requiring ID is the normal expectation for something like voting and if it is not required then that is a gap that needs to be closed. If the Republicans noticed this issue recently it is most likely because of the illegal immigration issue.But the democrats who instead of acting like mature adults and negotiate a system similar to Canada they make up crap about such laws being "racist" and insist that no ID should be required.If requiring ID is acceptable for lefties in Canada it should be acceptable for the US. The 'no id should be required' democrats are the ones who are truly in the wrong. If the republicans laws go too far the democrats have only themselves to blame because they refused to stake out a middle ground and made the republicans seems reasonable on this point.

No one said "no ID". It's whether the forms of ID are overly restrictive to give one party an advantage.

For instance, a student ID is not valid and yet a NRA membership card is... If you don't find that terribly biased and more than a little obviously partisan, then you are well and truly a partisan hack.

http://politic365.com/2012/08/30/nra-card-ok-but-not-student-id-fed-court-blocks-texas-voter-id-law/

Edited by The_Squid