Harper's New Cabinet, July 2013: Personal Loyalty

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Stephen Harper will go with personal loyalty in his cabinet choices.

I've been (often) wrong in my predictions so maybe this is another example.

=====

Three possibilities:

1) Harper is an incrementalist.

2) Harper insists on Baird-like subservience, loyalty.

3) Harper realizes that the situation requires radical change.

On balance, I suspect that Harper will choose the second option. Ultimately, Harper is a Nixon style politician. Harper's a calculator rather than a raw-gambler.

Edited by August1991

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who do you think will get the post that regulates things such as rail safetly

From the back pages of Friday's Toronto Star......

In Canada, railroad safety has improved incrementally industry-wide. From a high of almost 1,500 accidents in 2005, rail accidents across the country dropped to just over 1,000 accidents last year.

“There’s been a monumental shift in railroad safety,” said Emile Therien, former president of the Canada Safety Council and a long-time critic of railroad safety.

“It was spearheaded by legislation, but has involved everyone in the business,” he said.

Therien credits increased government funding, more safety inspectors and strengthened oversight and enforcement for the turnaround.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/07/11/lac_megantic_explosion_railways_canadian_safety_record_improved_dramatically_over_last_decade.html

Edited by Keepitsimple

Well, its just like many thought, Harper has put more women in but the major ministries are held by men. One thing I did notice while watching the swearing in was , that Flaherty, doesn't like well and he has problems moving and John Baird, just sat there and didn't talk much but when it came to standing and sing O Canada, he just stood, didn't sing and looked very sober. I wonder if he wanted out of Foreign Affairs and couldn't get?? Anyway, here's the list of new ministers. Thoughts? http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/stephen-harper-shuffles-cabinet-includes-eight-newcomers-four-151535621.html

Edited by Charles Anthony
merged thread

Guest Derek L
I’m surprised on the swap between Mackay and Nicholson………I’m glad Alexander, Rempel, Leitch, Glover, Rob Moore and Poilievre have been given a greater reasonability, coupled with a nod to Kenny, James Moore and Lisa Raitt………I don’t understand Blaney to replace Vic at public safety…….I’m not sure I like Van Loan, but I suppose taking him out of prominence could cause ripples………And never in my wildest dream expected the return of John Duncan, I think though, as Whip, he might actually succeed….

Well, its just like many thought, Harper has put more women in but the major ministries are held by men.

IOW, Topaz, whatever Harper does - you hate the guy and will never vote for the guy.

-----

IMV, this shuffle shows that Harper - despite facing a serious political crisis - is true to boring form: he's an incrementalist. No major change; a few more women, a few younger guys.

IMV, it's the Kenney/Alexander switch that is the only major/French Revolution "radical" change.

Harper is a conservative in the true, Macaulay use of the word.

Edited by August1991

Guest Derek L

I thought that Harper would reward loyalty. In fact, Harper appears to be more a conservative than a loyalist.

Surprising.

How so? To me he has, and I'm sure that Flaherty, Baird, Mackay, Clement, Moore, Kenny etc feel likewise.

Guest Derek L

IOW, Topaz, whatever Harper does - you hate the guy and will never vote for the guy.

-----

IMV, this shuffle shows that Harper - despite facing a serious political crisis - is true to boring form: he's an incrementalist. No major change; a few more women, a few younger guys.

It's the Kenney/Alexander switch that is the only major/French Revolution "radical" change.

And what would you have felt would represent "radical change"?

August, Harper has rewarded loyalty. Have you ever seen Chris Alexandre, Shelly Glover, Kellie Leitch, Michelle Rempel, or Pierre Poilievre on Power & Politics? They dutifully read their scripts regardless the questions being asked and often get their facts completely wrong, refusing to acknowledge it when called out. They're the worst kind of puppet MPs, serving only to recite the PMO's message. The Prime Minister is no "first among equals" here. He's in charge and has surrounded himself with bootlickers.

August, Harper has rewarded loyalty. Have you ever seen Chris Alexandre, Shelly Glover, Kellie Leitch, Michelle Rempel, or Pierre Poilievre on Power & Politics? They dutifully read their scripts regardless the questions being asked and often get their facts completely wrong, refusing to acknowledge it when called out. They're the worst kind of puppet MPs, serving only to recite the PMO's message. The Prime Minister is no "first among equals" here. He's in charge and has surrounded himself with bootlickers.

cyber, I never would've thought you read the National Post!

Bulging cabinet underlines that ministerships are given as prizes

Right again cyber! :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/07/15/f-vp-weston-cabinet-shuffle.html

For seven years, the prime minister has maintained an iron grip on the government, his ministers routinely reduced to delivering policies and pronouncements scripted by his office.

Harper ... seems to be sending a clear and decidedly negative signal to the growing number of unhappy Conservative backbenchers who complain they have no meaningful role in government, and have been pressing for real and sweeping parliamentary reform.The PM has appointed his resident parliamentary attack dog and all-purpose mud-tosser, Pierre Poilievre, to be the junior minister responsible for democratic reform.

If that weren't enough to incite a backbench revolt, Harper has also left the House leadership in the hands of Peter Van Loan, one of the most abrasive and divisive voices remaining on the Conservative benches.

I'm grabbing popcorn to watch the revolution unfold as Harper continues to browbeat and try to whip his MP's to toe his line. :D

Btw ... did ANY Conservative MP's send out the Trudeau attack flyer in June as ordered by Harper? Remember? It was party propaganda to be disguised as government communication to constituents and paid for by taxpayers.

Did anyone get that flyer?

The media would have been all over that.

Maybe ... the revolution has already begun. :)

And maybe Harper will lose ... to his own MP's ... some of whom seem to remember, or are reminded by their constituents, that democracy is NOT absolute power by one tyrant.

Edited by jacee

Derek MacKay is actually a trained lawyer. I was actually expecting Blaney to eventually be defence as he worked in the Veteran's Profolio. None the less perhaps he is being put in Public Safety due to Nicholson having served backup to Defence.

My geuss is there was a black program in Veteran's tied into Public Safety.

Oddly Van Loan and Findley were MacKay's stand in on Defence, I'm not sure if the Stand in Order has also changed there too.

Nicholson was stand in for Public Safety, so if there was a switch I was expecting it would go there.

Solicitor General is often seen as below the Attorney General in Rank federally, so really MacKay got probably the highest post possible in prestige aside from the Minister of FInance but his background is law not Finance.

Putting a NON lawyer on public safety may have been intentional due to the illegal National Security and Police operations going on.

Maybe not.

Who knows maybe that is just how the cards fell.

Essentially though there are only so many trained lawyers or law professionals.

My geuss is, he doesn't trust fantino for a post like public safety. I could be wrong though, also he has a little bit of corruption scandal attached to him on the hospital deals.

I'm not really sure why he moved Nicholson to defence. It seems he does have some background in the National Defence profolio dating to the 33rd Parliament. He is probably one of few people who were on during the Mulrooney years. None the less his stint there seemed short lived,

Edited by AlienB

-----

IMV, it's the Kenney/Alexander switch that is the only major/French Revolution "radical" change.

Let me be clear, I don't hate Harper, I don't think he is a good PM and all the problems that this government has is due to HARPER.

I quite like Harper's "new" cabinet. He has now appointed even more parrots who will continue to say the same talking points over and over and over, while actually saying nothing. This will continue to disgust more and more Canadians who want more out of their hard earned tax dollar. They will then send the conservatives back to the doldrums come election time. Lucky for us they spend most of their time there anyway. Good job Stevie!