Debate on a Downtown Toronto Walmart

Boges

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/29/kensington_market_loblaws_is_toronto_becoming_a_city_of_no.html

Toronto seems to be all about saying No to development. AKA Nimbyism.

Maybe we'd hear fewer "nos" if there were fewer bad ideas being put forward. Just saying.

For every project mentioned in the piece there are significant and legitimate concerns.. So no, it's not some kneejerk NIMBYism here, no matter how much it might please hucksters like Richard Florida to position those opposed as such.

Edited by Black Dog

What's wrong with putting a grocery store on the second floor of a Condo building? That'd be SWEET!

Don't they have Grocery Stores in Condo buildings all over Toronto?

How is it anti-free market to oppose it?

If that's the case then they should have nothing to worry about.

Pretty naive IMO to suggest that competitive pricing alone would be enough to overcome the many advantages a massive retailer like Loblaw's has.

How is it anti-free market to oppose it?

It's fine to oppose it. But Free market is all about competition. Different topic, but that's why I loathe the LCBO they don't have to compete.

It's like this specific neighbourhood is a corporation free zone. I think it's unfair to the consumers that might live there. They have to go someplace else if they want what Loblaws has to offer because businesses there don't want competition.

It's fine to oppose it. But Free market is all about competition. Different topic, but that's why I loathe the LCBO they don't have to compete.

And there's lots of competition in the market now. So it's not about being anti-free market or anti-competition.

It's like this specific neighbourhood is a corporation free zone. I think it's unfair to the consumers that might live there. They have to go someplace else if they want what Loblaws has to offer because businesses there don't want competition.

Why is it unfair for the people who for some reason choose to live (but not shop) in the market, but just competition for retailers who can't compete with a behemoth like Loblaw's? Why are you prioritizing the convenience of this (probably mythical) group (who can simply travel one kilometer south of the market to Queen and Portland for their Loblaw's fix) over the livelihoods of business owners in the market?

Edited by Black Dog

Both Walmart and Loblaws have pledged not to put giant "Big Box" stores in this area. I just don't understand why this neighbourhood is sacred. Everyone says how great it is (I've been there once, it seems quite Third World) but people say they'll also be run out of business if a corporation comes to town.

In the burbs there are independent grocers that offer quality over price and there are discount retailers that market solely on price. Both thrive.

Both Walmart and Loblaws have pledged not to put giant "Big Box" stores in this area. I just don't understand why this neighbourhood is sacred. Everyone says how great it is (I've been there once, it seems quite Third World) but people say they'll also be run out of business if a corporation comes to town.

FTR I'm not 100 per cent on board with their concerns, but I understand where they are coming from. The market is a unique place with lots of character (what you would call "third world" I guess). Part of that comes from the variety of mom and pop retailers. If they close down, the question becomes what takes their place. So it's not just about the businesses Loblaw's threatens, but the concern over the nature of the market as a whole.

In the burbs there are independent grocers that offer quality over price and there are discount retailers that market solely on price. Both thrive.

Crazy as this sounds, we have that downtown too.