BC Citizen's Assembly calls for PR

The BC Citizen's Assembly (and I am no fan of Gordon Campbell, but at least he set this in motion) has proposed BC adopt some form of Proportional Representation according to an article on the front page of today's Vancouver Sun.

BTW I actually believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Although, basically, most of you know by now, because you are all very perceptive, that I'm a bit left of centre, I am still ticked with the previous New Democratic Government for reducing benefits to the folks on social assistance. And if you don't think that was a major factor in the NDP losing support in BC in the last election, you are sadly mistaken.

Now if only we could get both the New Democrats and the Liberals to keep their friggin' mitts off this Citizen's Assemply recommendation for this PR process, maybe, perhaps we could begin to restore true democracy in BC and hopefully eventually it will spread to all of Canada.

August1991....Rene Levesque would have been a supporter of PR.

The first myth that needs to be shattered is that minority governments are bad for Canadians, when actually the exact opposite is closer to the truth. ;)

I oppose Proportional Representation. (I also oppose referenda, and supreme court appointment hearings.)

The main objection to PR is that legislators who get in from party lists don't really represent anyone in particular except their parties. Obscene party discipline is one of the biggest problems, and adding members beholden to no-one but their parties will only make this worse.

Instead of PR Canada should have a preferential ballot system AND a legislator recall process. These would solve the problems without undermining our representative Parliament system.

Are you not tired of the democratic ripoff that with 30% - 40% of the popular vote a political party ends up controlling a majority government?

Let's think outside the box for at least a minute!

Are you really a democrat or not, eh! ;)

I mean really, this is criminal behaviour, and the purpertrators deserve to be jailed as it is so serious an affront to democracy! :blink:

Can we please stop using terms such as 'unfair' when it applies to PR ?

'Unworkable' is a better term.

The first myth that needs to be shattered is that minority governments are bad for Canadians, when actually the exact opposite is closer to the truth. 

What you write, MS, has been true for Canada because minority governments happen in frequently. If we were in perpetual minority, we'd end up in perpetual gridlock.

I really don't think I would like the PR way of voting. I really don't think it serves anyone well to be paying MPs who really represent no riding and are from fringe parties.

I like the way it works now just fine. I am open to enlightenment, though. I sure wouldn't want tp see another government with no official opposition