My Calgary Home?

No. Maybe it is 8 to 1..or 10 to 1...who knows? It's a hard thing to pin down...but still, why oh why do so many more leave for America? We know that America is hell on earth, so why would people leave Klondike Paradise, or the Peace River Valley, or the GTA, or St. John's??

I think I will ask my Canadian colleagues on Monday...straight up.

Oh yes, more anecdotal evidence. What a straight up liar you are. :P

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said "there are" indicating the present. You didn't say have been in the past at some time, you said "are." At least that's how I took it, but you could be right. Over time there could have been 4:1 since the 2:1 current ratio shows an increase of Americans going to Canada and a decrease of Canadians coming here-- which might reverse itself again once the Bush adminstration is gone.

He doesn't have any figures what the total illegals might be but the link from 2000 said it was estimated that 3000 to 5000 came across. Since 2001, the cross border checks have been far more secure in terms of illegals. I haven't heard anywhere near that number from either U.S. or Canadian sources. I think we'd be hearing something about that if twice the number of legal Canadians was coming across. It is why the 4 to 1 ratio is laughable.

And if there were that many illegals coming from Canada, it would say just how bad the security of the United States really is.

Edited by jdobbin

And if there were that many illegals coming from Canada, it would say just how bad the security of the United States really is.

Agreed, same as all the dope...same as all those guns that grow legs and walk into Canada from the US. Many of the Canadian illegals are visa overstays.

But we did catch the Millennium Bomber...nice try! :lol:

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Guest American Woman
He doesn't have any figures what the total illegals might be but the link from 2000 said it was estimated that 3000 to 5000 came across. Since 2001, the cross border checks have been far more secure in terms of illegals. I haven't heard anywhere near that number from either U.S. or Canadian sources. I think we'd be hearing something about that if twice the number of legal Canadians was coming across. It is why the 4 to 1 ratio is laughable.

Look at the numbers in this article in the Star:

"While the number of Americans moving north jumped, the number of Canadians moving to the United States declined to 23,913 in 2006 from 29,930 in 2005.

The net loss to Canada of 12,971 was the smallest since 2003 and slightly more than half of the loss suffered by Canada as recently as 2001 when 24,089 more Canadians moved south than Americans moved north."

When the net loss to Canada was 12,971 the ratio was slightly higher than 2:1, and that's with a record number of Amerricans moving to Canada. In 2001, when the net loss to Canada was almost double that, at a time when fewer Americans were moving to Canada, the ratio most likely was 4:1, especially considering in 2000 only about 5500 Americans moved to Canada.

I find the figures surprising. I had no idea more Canadians were moving here than vice versa, especially to the extent that they have some years. I suppose it is because there is a larger job market here because the country is bigger, and also, as was already said, young people move here where taxes are lower. I suppose if they get health coverage with their jobs, that's not a real issue; and it's not always a real issue to the young anyway. I do believe there's truth to people moving back to Canada when a problem does arise, though. There was an example of a Frenchman doing that-- returning to France from the States-- in Sicko, and I have to say, that would grate on my nerves if I were a citizen of such a country. Same as the American in Sicko who decided to walk across Abbey Road in England -- on his hands!-- and of course fell and injured himself, at the expense of the British healthcare system (ie: the Briitish tax payers). I can't imagine how much people must be paying to support this type of thing, and I can truly understand why some people would not like it. I'm not saying I agree with not having universal health coverage because I most definitely support it; I'm just saying that must be why some people move here in the numbers that they do. Some must come for warmer weather, too, as you already said. And some do come from using Canada as a 'stepping stone' having moved there from elsewhere.

Anyway, I find the numbers interesting, and I learned something.

I'm not even taking into account Canadian illegals. I don't think we have any more than you have illegal Americans, at least not ratio wise. But I have to say, I don't have any confidence in my country's security.

Edited by American Woman

"While the number of Americans moving north jumped, the number of Canadians moving to the United States declined to 23,913 in 2006 from 29,930 in 2005.

The net loss to Canada of 12,971 was the smallest since 2003 and slightly more than half of the loss suffered by Canada as recently as 2001 when 24,089 more Canadians moved south than Americans moved north."

When the net loss to Canada was 12,971 the ratio was slightly higher than 2:1, and that's with a record number of Amerricans moving to Canada. In 2001, when the net loss to Canada was almost double that, at a time when fewer Americans were moving to Canada, the ratio most likely was 4:1, especially considering in 2000 only about 5500 Americans moved to Canada.

Anyway, I find the numbers interesting, and I learned something.

I'm not even taking into account Canadian illegals. I don't think we have any more than you have illegal Americans, at least not ratio wise. But I have to say, I don't have any confidence in my country's security.

I've been going by those same numbers you quote for 2006 which indicate a 2 to 1 ratio. As you pointed out, the inference was that 4 to 1 was what was happening now.

If it was 4 to 1 now, that would mean the United States is somehow missing 20,000 illegal Canadian migrants each year. I have never seen any number that indicates that double the number of legal migrant cross the border each year. If it was the case, then it represents a huge hole in U.S. security that represents a failure of the President to protect its citizens.

Agreed, same as all the dope...same as all those guns that grow legs and walk into Canada from the US. Many of the Canadian illegals are visa overstays.

But we did catch the Millennium Bomber...nice try! :lol:

And missed over 20,000 a year who represent a threat to your security now according to your figure of 4 to 1. Bush must be failing somehow, don't you think?

And missed over 20,000 a year who represent a threat to your security now according to your figure of 4 to 1. Bush must be failing somehow, don't you think?

They're not necessarily a threat to security, just illegals...same as the Mexicans, or Chinese, or Guatemalens. Bush is failing to stop the status quo with visa overstays? Yup...hard to find those rascals after crossing the border to buy cheap gas and cigarettes.

They're not necessarily a threat to security, just illegals...same as the Mexicans, or Chinese, or Guatemalens. Bush is failing to stop the status quo with visa overstays? Yup...hard to find those rascals after crossing the border to buy cheap gas and cigarettes.

Of course they are threat to national security. First you say there are 20,000 illegals coming to the U.S. a year and now they are not a threat to national security? Yeesh. Nice spin.

I don't know what Guatemalens is. Some kind of melon?

Of course they are threat to national security. First you say there are 20,000 illegals coming to the U.S. a year and now they are not a threat to national security? Yeesh. Nice spin.

The only spinning is coming from you....tell me about the "climate" reasons again....LOL! No wonder all this required passport business is causing such a ruckus.

Why do we even have Canadian illegals ? Don't tell me it's the weather (again).

The only spinning is coming from you....tell me about the "climate" reasons again....LOL! No wonder all this required passport business is causing such a ruckus.

Why do we even have Canadian illegals ? Don't tell me it's the weather (again).

You are hilarious! Not necessarily a threat to security?! You think 20,000 crossing the border every year to give you your 4 to 1 ratio are no threat? Weren't all of the September 11 terrorists in the U.S. on expired visas? Spin, spin, spin!

Edited by jdobbin

You are hilarious! Not necessarily a threat to security?! You think 20,000 crossing the border every year to give yo your 4 to 1 ratio are no threat? Weren't all of the September 11 terrorists in the U.S. on expired visas? Spin, spin, spin!

No, not all of them had expired visas. But a lot of Canadian illegals do. Seems they just don't wanna go home. Now why is that, whether it be 5,000, 10,000, or 20,000? Climate?

No, not all of them had expired visas. But a lot of Canadian illegals do. Seems they just don't wanna go home. Now why is that, whether it be 5,000, 10,000, or 20,000? Climate?

Well, it's because they are terrorists of course. But you think they are no threat to security. :lol:

Nope....they actually contribute labor to the largest economy on the planet. Such a threat! (Pssssst...that's why they come....duh...it's not the "climate"

Hilarious! :P 20,000 according to you coming across the border each year and none planning any ill will against the U.S. They are only there to make sure you have your lawn mowed! :rolleyes:

No....some are nurses, doctors, and engineers. They want nice lawns too..like they had in Canada.

What about the 20,000 illegals that you said come to Canada every year? :lol:

By your own count, there must be at least 200,000 illegal Canadians in the last decade alone!

Edited by jdobbin