Responding to SPAM

I am aware of this situation, and we will be dealing with it as soon as possible.

However, in order to effectively deal with the spam, we need to upgrade the forums to the latest version. Doing this will break the forum theme/templates, which will mean the whole forum will have to be defaulted to the standard look for Invision Forums.

This obviously isn't ideal, and I am trying to find a solution that i will impact the forum community the least. However, I do realize that dealing with the forum templates is probably easier than dealing with the onslaught of spammers. So you can expect a solution before the end of the week (possibly sooner).

Thanks!

I've worked with invision forums in the past, and if you need any help with gruntwork (going though templates etc), let me know, as I have ample free time.

• Forum Admin

Incidentally, I was on vacation for the past two weeks, and I am on the forum quite often. These facts may explain the apparent inundation of SPAM lately.

No one is to blame except the spammers. Right now we're getting hit hard by spammers - I'm not sure why, but i know a lot of them are on the run because of the crack down on the email botnets. The rats are simply fleeing to a new avenue for their garbage.

However, I have identified what I think is a pattern in their behaviour, which I am going to try to exploit between now and when we get the upgrade completed -- the upgrade comes with a ne2 Spam Monitoring Service, which should help with the elimination of the spam. More info on the upgrade will be given shortly.

Thanks

• Forum Admin

I've worked with invision forums in the past, and if you need any help with gruntwork (going though templates etc), let me know, as I have ample free time.

Thanks Teddy, we should be good for now, but I will keep your offer in mind.

• Forum Admin

Just to give everyone a heads up, I am going to start the process of upgrading the forums and redesigning the skins next week. We estimate it to take about 2 weeks to get everything done, but I hope it will be shortly.

In the mean time, i am going to personally select a few members to act as spam cops - whose sole administrative responsibilities (other than contributing to the forums, as they would normally) will be to flag spammers for removal.

Their member title will be changed to SPAM COP and they will hold this responsibility until the upgrade is complete. I will then determine whether this new role will need to continue -- a lot will depend on whether the Invision Spam Monitoring system is a reliable counter to the spammers.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them below.

Thanks!

Guest American Woman
In the mean time, i am going to personally select a few members to act as spam cops - whose sole administrative responsibilities (other than contributing to the forums, as they would normally) will be to flag spammers for removal.

So does that mean the rest of us won't be reporting spam any more? Or should we continue to report it when we see it?

Also, I see that "Michael Hardner" is now a "global moderator." How does that differ from his previous position in terms of duty and what he has access to on the forum?

In the mean time, i am going to personally select a few members to act as spam cops - whose sole administrative responsibilities ... will be to flag spammers for removal.

Their member title will be changed to SPAM COP and they will hold this responsibility until the upgrade is complete. I will then determine whether this new role will need to continue

3 cheers for the Admin!!!