Par for the course.....

The Fiberal commitment

The Canadian military may be forced to mothball all of its remaining destroyers and ground up to a quarter of its front-line fighter jets in order to fulfill a Liberal election promise to create a new, 5,000-strong "peacekeeping brigade."

:angry: What a frigging joke!

The military was caught completely off guard by the pledge, which senior officers believe Paul Martin, the Prime Minister, made hastily in the heat of fighting an early Conservative surge in the campaign

Canadians again forced to pay for Liberal BS :angry:

Don't believe any National Post crap. That is the worst right wing paper I have ever seen. Garbage rag

They are reporting on a story broke by Janes.........Janes is ever so slightly above Canadian politics :rolleyes:

the actions of a secretive dictatorship

A clue to this major move is that Martin is scheduled to address the UN General Assembly in October. He and Graham -- backed by the many Liberal anti-U.S., anti-NATO MPs -- would look good to left-leaning UN members if Canada made a big splash with their new 5,000-strong peacekeeping brigade. Ready, aye ready, to follow UN commands.

And since they obviously believe Canadian voters really don't care about their Armed Forces, they think they can do it without consulting them in open, public hearings. It sounds more like the actions of a secretive dictatorship than a free, open democracy.

I guess the Libs are right about something............

Globe story

Apparently General Henault just finished a press conference to refute the allegations that there will be cuts to the navy and air force. Instead it appears that the forces manpower cap will increase to 65,000 from 60,000. Apparently the general has also received promises from Mr. Graham that the budget will be increased.

I support this news but am still bothered that the General is giving a news conference at the behest of the PMO. Shouldn't there be more seperation in order to assume proffessionalism all round?

I would trust Henault as far as I could throw him

The general, a career air force officer, said rearrangements in the Forces are being debated, but no decisions have been made. It may mean changes in the navy or air force, but those aren't connected to the addition of 5,000 new people.

That says it all........

Hmmm......It will cost close to 2 billion dollars to get PM PM's "peacekeeping Brigade" off the ground........I wonder how much money would be saved by axing the 280s and twenty Hornets :rolleyes:

Who wants to place bets that it will be equal to or greater then 2 billion dollars?

FYI, the Navy expects the program to replace our current Destroyers (called CADRE) will cost in the ballpark of 5.2 billion.............

The following article deserves to be read by all Canadian "nationalists".

Canadian Peacekeeping Myth

But the perception withers when confronted with facts. Early in 2002, Paul Heinbecker, Canada's then-ambassador to the UN, asked members of the Canadian Institute of International Affairs where Canada ranked as a peacekeeper. Most of the audience assumed that Canada was among the top 10 nations. Mr. Heinbecker revealed that Canada was 31st. By March of 2004, Canada had slipped to 38th.