"If You’ve Got A Business — You Didn’t Build That"

That is not what Obama said. He said:

The "that" refers to the "business". It does not refer to the previous sentence.

So maybe Obama did not mean what he said. But he said it and people are reacting to it.

No.

Obama's statement is similar to a dangling participle.

The "that" is referring to all the other people ("great teacher") and taxpayers ("somebody invested in roads and bridges") and government employees ("government research").

He was speaking so he dangled just like we all do sometimes.

BFD.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not what Obama said. He said:

The "that" refers to the "business". It does not refer to the previous sentence.

So maybe Obama did not mean what he said. But he said it and people are reacting to it.

No it doesn't. Any 6 year old can read the whole quote and clearly see he is specifically referring to roads but also making the bigger point that American government and its people invested in their country to make it easier for everyone to so will. I am sorry you can't read, or that you don't understand how our language works but repeating a lie over and over again is not going to make it true Tim sorry.

Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that (road or bridge)....The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

Why would he say you didn't build that business then go on to talk about the Internet? Ohh yeah because he is actually talking about government investment in infrastructure and how that has helped make American Business number one in the world. A SCARY SCARY government investment.

Edited by punked

Ah, the usual statist roads and bridges nonsense. They got plenty of roads and bridges in Cuba, North Korea, Venezuela, Iran, etc. That has nothing to do with who ultimately gets credit for good business models, good ideas, good products and services created by individuals that create and manage small, medium, and large businesses. Besides, all of those people and businesses pay taxes that pay for those roads and bridges too. In fact, they pay a lot more in taxes than Obama or you do.

Anyways, it's a nonsensical argument. Using Obama's kind of logic, nobody's responsible for any success they have, or really ownes anything in their possession. Which is probably really how he feels. He slipped up, and let everyone get a peak of his radical-social/marxist ideology. Which again, is completely antithetical to how America was founded, and how it grew to be a prosperous world superpower.

Yah they invent the Internet in Cuba, how about you tell me how many satellites Venezuela's NASA put in Space? I read last year there was a traffic Jam in China that was 100 miles long and lasted weeks. Sounds like some great infrastructure there. Give me a break Shady you can act dumb all you want but the American Government in the last 100 years has continued to invest to make America the most competitive place in the world. Deal with it.

Edited by punked

No it doesn't. Any 6 year old can read the whole quote and clearly see he is specifically referring to roads
Actually. No. Your are simply making up crap because that is what you want to believe. I read the statement many times and the message is clear: if you built a business you don't deserve any credit. You could argue that he misspoke and that was not his intended message given what else he said. But you cannot argue that the words that he spoke mean what you say the mean.

Actually. No. Your are simply making up crap because that is what you want to believe. I read the statement many times and the message is clear: if you built a business you don't deserve any credit. You could argue that he misspoke and that was not his intended message given what else he said. But you cannot argue that the words that he spoke mean what you say the mean.

No I am arguing the whole paragraph is talking about infrastructure that helps business thrive. Infrastructure which the American people build. I am sorry that no matter how many times you read the paragraph you can't figure out what he is saying but your interpretation is clearly wrong sorry.

am sorry that no matter how many times you read the paragraph you can't figure out what he is saying but your interpretation is clearly wrong sorry.
Wrong. The context may allow one to guess that he did not intend to say what he did but it is only a guess and it does not change what he said. Politicians are in the business of communicating and if they can't communicate clearly then they only have themselves to blame.

No I am arguing the whole paragraph is talking about infrastructure that helps business thrive. Infrastructure which the American people build. I am sorry that no matter how many times you read the paragraph you can't figure out what he is saying but your interpretation is clearly wrong sorry.

You mean the infrastructure they help fund?

It just amazing to me that statists think that because government collects taxes and pays the private sector to build roads, that that means somebody that works hard and builds a business doesn't deserve the bulk of the credit.

I use a road to get to the gym every week. I guess it's the government that lifts the weights and rows, and bikes and treadmills. Who knew?

Wrong. The context may allow one to guess that he did not intend to say what he did but it is only a guess and it does not change what he said. Politicians are in the business of communicating and if they can't communicate clearly then they only have themselves to blame.

Nope this is one of those things where you have to read the whole statement and it becomes quite clear what he is saying. Although if you only listen to one sentence it could appear he is saying something else.

It just amazing to me that statists think that because government collects taxes and pays the private sector to build roads, that that means somebody that works hard and builds a business doesn't deserve the bulk of the credit.

I use a road to get to the gym every week. I guess it's the government that lifts the weights and rows, and bikes and treadmills. Who knew?

Might be harder for that gym to get anyone to come if they built in the middle of a forest. Good thing that road exists to bring them costumers and help them thrive eh?

Might be harder for that gym to get anyone to come if they built in the middle of a forest. Good thing that road exists to bring them costumers and help them thrive eh?

Yep, it's a great investment for government, and for businesses that pay taxes to fund the building of roads in the first place.

So why does that mean that somebody that builds a business doesn't deserve the bulk of the credit? You're making no sense at all., but then again either is Obama.

What are you talking about? This is an argument about how America needs infrastructure and investment to thrive and it is time for that investment.

Yep, it's a great investment for government, and for businesses that pay taxes to fund the building of roads in the first place.

And of course the tax payers and workers who actually make the MAJORITY of taxes paid. You know because the business taxes are about 9% of total taxes and all.

And of course the tax payers and workers who actually make the MAJORITY of taxes paid. You know because the business taxes are about 9% of total taxes and all.

I guess if you don't account for the income taxes paid by the employees of said businesses. :rolleyes:

I guess if you don't account for the income taxes paid by the employees of said businesses. :rolleyes:

No I do. So we agree that the business man didn't build the roads that make it easier for him to be rich it was the workers who did that. Good so we agree with Obama. Glad to hear it.

What are you talking about? This is an argument about how America needs infrastructure and investment to thrive and it is time for that investment.

Nope, it's not about infrastructure at all. It's about Obama claiming that if somebody has built a business, they're not responsible, somebody else made it happen. Which is complete nonsense. Like I said, they got lots of roads in North Korea. Not very many businesses though. :)

Nope, it's not about infrastructure at all. It's about Obama claiming that if somebody has built a business, they're not responsible, somebody else made it happen. Which is complete nonsense. Like I said, they got lots of roads in North Korea. Not very many businesses though. :)

Nope that is what he is saying is Shady lala land but in the real world he is pointing out America has becomes and stayed great with help from government investment. You know like inventing the Internet you are typing on. Sorry.

Nope that is what he is saying is Shady lala land but in the real world he is pointing out America has becomes and stayed great with help from government investment. You know like inventing the Internet you are typing on. Sorry.

Nope. That's not what he said. It's not video. You can't lie about it.

Nope. That's not what he said. It's not video. You can't lie about it.

I am not lying. Obama pointed out Business in the US benefits from the infrastructure that the US built. It is right there in the video Shady just watch the whole thing not a 5 word clip. Get out of Shady lala land and come into the real world where what Obama said is true and there is nothing wrong with it.

"Take away my people and grass will grow on the factory floor, take away my factory and me and my people will build a bigger and better factory." - Andrew Carnegie

"But all Property superfluous to such purposes is the Property of the Publick, who, by their Laws, have created it, and who may therefore by other Laws dispose of it, whenever the Welfare of the Publick shall demand such Disposition. He that does not like civil Society on these Terms, let him retire and live among Savages. He can have no right to the benefits of Society, who will not pay his Club towards the Support of it."-Ben Franklin

Edited by punked

.... He that does not like civil Society on these Terms, let him retire and live among Savages. He can have no right to the benefits of Society, who will not pay his Club towards the Support of it."-Ben Franklin

Ahh...so you support the idea that all must pay his/her "club", even the so called "working poor" and "just plain poor"?

Ahh...so you support the idea that all must pay his/her "club", even the so called "working poor" and "just plain poor"?

Yep because half of all US taxes come form a payroll tax all working Americans pay BC, not to mention the sales taxes and other taxes these people pay as well. Everyone invests in America to make it better. Get with it.

Yep because half of all US taxes come form a payroll tax all working Americans pay BC, not to mention the sales taxes and other taxes these people pay as well. Everyone invests in America to make it better. Get with it.

Okayyyyy...so you also support abandoning "Bush tax cuts" for all marginal rates, not just high income earners? And a tax on welfare benefits? And health care taxes? And the general broadening of the tax base so everybody can "invest in America" ?

I am not lying. Obama pointed out Business in the US benefits from the infrastructure that the US built.
And where do you think government got the money to pay for that infrastructure? From private businesses who either paid taxes or paid the wages of employees that were taxed.

Businesses are examples of 'collective action'. They represent of group of people pooling their resources in order to accomplish a goal. Everything that the government does depends on the output of businesses. The police, the medicare, the social safety net. Government did not build that - private businesses did because they provided the cash that made it possible.