contrast this behaviour to BC's Campbell

Quebec judge quits over drunk-driving charge

Lyse Lemieux, the Chief Justice of the Superior Court of Quebec, said Thursday that she will retire as a result of a drunk-driving incident.

In a statement, Judge Lemieux, 68, describes the Aug. 5 incident as ”extremely unfortunate.”

According to her statement, she hit city property and was charged with driving a motor vehicle with weakened faculties and with an alcohol rating over the legal limit.

She said that no one else was involved in the accident and that no one was injured.

But it is the following which is quite telling:

”However, all citizens are equal before the law and I am taking my responsibilities.”

I don't believe that the DUI will play a big role in the election. We have much more serious problems with the man and his destruction of our province. He has only helped the very wealthy and made the working middle income earner pay the bill. Seniors, women and sick or abused children have all suffered under his government.

He has broken contracts with nurses and hospital workers. He has sold off BC assets and yet still allowed the deficit to grow as have waiting times for medical services. Many medical services have been de listed.

Children at 14 are allowed to work with no protection.

Everything points to attempts to turn BC into a 3rd world cheap labour market for business. BC, and Vancouver is a very expensive place to live; we cannot survive on minimum wage type jobs. Tuition has risen dramatically in colleges and universities making BC one of the highest in Canada

Accused of drunk driving, top Quebec judge quits

MONTREAL -- Known for her decency and as a peerless administrator, the head of Quebec's highest trial court stunned the judicial world yesterday by stepping down because of a drunk-driving incident.

The legal community bemoaned the departure of Chief Justice Lyse Lemieux of the Quebec Superior Court, praising her ability to reduce court delays, her readiness to fast-track compassionate cases and her basic civility.

"This is tragic," Montreal lawyer Linda Hammerschmid said. "The loss to the public far outweighs the appearance of propriety."

Chief Justice Lemieux made her decision as several drunk-driving cases have attracted attention in Quebec. Yesterday in suburban Longueuil, a judge gave Line Sasseville, 39, an unusually harsh 42-month sentence for killing a teen while driving when impaired.

Chief Justice Lemieux, 68, assumed her functions in 1996 by stating that judges needed to improve their image. She said yesterday that she had no choice but to step down.

As a chief judge she stood as the moral authority of the court. She also sat for three years on the executive committee of the Canadian Judicial Council's group overseeing the conduct of judges.

"All citizens are equal before the law, and I am taking my responsibilities," she said in a statement.

What a class act Lemieux is compared to the scumbag Premier Campbell we have in BC. :o

Love the guy. Good man.

I look forward to another 4 years of his leadership.

We are finally getting somewhere as a province. Major investments in infrastructure, and business growth.

Ceasar, think carefully. If we all work for minimum wage, can it really be expensive anymore to live in Vancouver. Someone would have to pay. It is called a demand curve. So if you find Vancouver expensive, maybe it is because you don’t offer an equal value for service. I have no problems living here, and I live quite well.

;)